Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley has been diagnosed with Addisons disease. He will need to be on steroids for the rest of his life, and he and steroids have not gotten along (liver tanked once and face/feet/neck blew up another). Hopefully we can find something that works without hurting him too much. Any thoughts you guys can spare for my beloved boy would be very appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm so so sorry BPP. I hope you are able to find something that agrees with him. Sending super positive thoughts to both of you!

·
Registered
263 Posts
So very sorry to hear about Riley. I don't have any suggestions, but I will keep you and him in my prayers!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I feel devastated for you. I'll keep you both in my prayers that you can find the right balance of treatment quickly. I know 'trying' to find the right solution can be difficult.

He is such a good boy!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
BPP,

I have an acquaintance at the dog park whose standard poodle had Addisons for many years and she died at the ripe age of 12, not too shabby considering her condition. I will find out what Ann used, but I am pretty sure it was prednisone.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Noooooooooooo : ((((

I am so terribly sorry to hear that : (((. Some days I wonder if I should buy a puppy at all : (((, so many things can go wrong at any point and time : (((...I do not know if I would be strong enough to deal with such events at all : ((((

I hope that vet did all necessary evaluations : (. Did he check if he has a primary or secondary adrenal insufficiency ??? At least it is like that in people :rolffleyes:- if it is secondary that he will not need steroids but just hormonal replacement :rolffleyes: I hope it is same with dogs *sigh and that he will not need steroids : (((.

Please never forget that there are many natural supplements out there that can help with many conditions also !!!!

I will keep my fingers crossed that your vet comes up with great plan for Riley and that he responds positively to a therapy with the lightening speed !!!Never loose hope and keep us posted :hug:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
OMG!!! I am so very sorry! If this were me, I would be going on every Addsions site out there. From what I hear, there are a ton of support groups online and you could likely get a lot of help from others who have been there, done that. Someone told me there is an Addisons rescue group online who take in Addisonian dogs that the owners cannot afford to look after. They would likely be an enormous help to you!! You and Riley will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Too bad poor boy :(. Hopefully the right meds will be the trick....... I am sure the breeder will be concerned too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Poor Riley. I've been on prednisone before and it didn't like me either. I will keep my fingers crossed that you and your vet find a med he can tolerate.

·
Registered
875 Posts
(((hugs)))

I hear the YAhoo group is really good, lots of good people on there and lots of support.

I do not know tons about addisons, but I hope that you and your vet can make up a game plan, and that Riley does well.

:)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I sorry to hear about that too and I hope you can get his meds worked out w/o too much trouble. How old is Riley?

Also, when things are more settled down, please consider adding his info to Poodle Health Registry.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm so very sorry to learn that you and Riley are faced with this all-too-common disease in our beloved breed. My hope is that an effective treatment course is found quickly, to ease Riley's symptoms and your mind. I have online friends with Addisons' afflicted Poodles who are doing very well, and some are 11 yrs. old. The online Addison's group - I believe on YaHoo - has been very helpful to them, not only in terms of support, but valuable information.

Sending you and Riley lots of good wishes, Poodle kisses, and a big
(((HUG)))

Lesly

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your sweet Riley...I hope that things will be OK...I know nothing about this disease....but will pray for you both that he will still have a long and happy life.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good Luck. I have known several dogs with addisons, and once you get the meds figured out and schedule just right, it should be o.k.
Please notify your breeder!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm so sorry!! I'll be thinking and praying for you and Riley. I hope that all goes well and that you get the proper med sorted out. Please keep us posted on how he is doing!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts