Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one go about making sure a Standard Poodle and an African Grey Parrot don't attack one another? Is it even possible? Rhonda would like to get hold of a bird or two. On our walks, she gets distracted and wants to chase birds. Aren't Poodles bred for bird hunting? Roma has her own room (always has). She's free to wander around or get in her cage. That has worked and I suppose it can work in the future. My last dog (Mandi) was okay with her for sixteen years. Roma was with me five years before that so she's my trooper and I'm very protective of her. I don't know about Rhonda the SPoo. What do you think?

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
1,292 Posts
Rhonda may be smart enough to realise that Roma belongs to the fam8ly. Can you put a screen in the doorway, so that both can get used to seeing each other? Rhonda has already smelt Romas presence in the house.

·
Premium Member
15,363 Posts
My only experience of poodles and birds has been with Poppy, whose prey drive goes from 0 to 100 at the sight of a chicken. A screen door for added security sounds like a good idea, as well as enabling them to get used to each other safely. Does Roma talk? I wonder if you work on Rhonda Sit! with really good rewards when she is near to Roma if Roma might not pick up on it and learn to make the dog sit herself? If it is frequently reinforced until it becomes an absolutely automatic response for Rhonda it would give Roma a way of stopping her in her tracks. Teaching Roma to then drop her a treat may be an even bigger ask, of course!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts