Poodle Forum banner

Retreiving/Working Poodles

4785 Views 35 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cash
Can anyone direct me where I can find informatin on any websites or other places that I can find information on Poodles who work/retreive? Never having been around any dogs who hunt or retreive, I don't even know where to start, but I would love for Cash and I to learn.

Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cbrand - Thank you for all the information! Right now he only occassionally goes after one specific squeeky toy. I didn't have him at 8 weeks. He was 13 weeks when we got him. I don't necessarily need him to hunt, but I do want to get into advanced obedience, utility, with him eventually. His focus is really good when he's "on" and he is doing a very reliable ON LEASH recall. (I won't try off leash for some time!). He also will "finish" and heal well. When we are not working he is the most laid back puppy I have ever had!

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, he hasn't been around much water. We have a large pond, but the dogs always smell SO bad after they've been in it, we haven't allowed him down there. There's also LOTS of burrs and stuff to get stuck in his coat. (I spend 3 hours pulling burrs out of his coat two nights ago- I swore next time he would get shaved!)
He does try to chase our cats sometimes though - I have been trying to break him of it because they told me his mother will kill any cat that she can catch.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I couldn't get him interested in the toys last night. But we did have an awesome obedience training session!!! OMG, I cannot believe how much I love this dog! Ok, so back to the retreiving. I am going to keep trying to get him interested in going after something (other than food)! Unfortunately I live in an area where there is very little dog related activity and most people don't do any activites with their dogs. I'm hoping to find a retreiver trainer fairly close who I can maybe go see their dogs work. We'll see how that goes!

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday we were outside. The kids wanted me to throw the softball to them so they could bat. I took this opportunity to try to increase Cash's prey drive. Only about 1/4 of the time would he go after the ball. Twice he picked it up and carried it 1/2 the way back to me! Yeah, He got lots of praise for that! What was actually more funny was that I laid down on the ground at one point and Cash came running over to me and flopped down right by my head, putting his head against mine. So I told my 9 year old daughter that the next time I throw the ball at her to pretend that she was hurt and fall down. She did, Cash wasn't paying attention, but when I said "Cash, look at Taylor" he ran over to her and flopped down by her head and did the same thing he did with me. Then we tried it with my older daughter, and he did the same thing again. Do you suppose that this was a game for him, or what would the chances be that he would actually be concerned for our wellbeing?

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm so excited! Last night Cash went and found an old tennis ball and took it to his bed. I told him to give it to me and then took it from his mouth. He kept going after it when I would throw it for him. That is until it got lost. He kept going down the hallway looking for it, neither of us could find it. I imagine it will end up under one of the kids beds or someplace!

Anyway, I was just really excited that he showed interest it it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.