Poodle Forum banner

Retreiving/Working Poodles

4785 Views 35 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cash
Can anyone direct me where I can find informatin on any websites or other places that I can find information on Poodles who work/retreive? Never having been around any dogs who hunt or retreive, I don't even know where to start, but I would love for Cash and I to learn.

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,314 Posts
Our dogs (Portuguese Water Dogs) are all fantastic retrievers and have achieved the highest levels in water work, which has a lot of controlled retrieve situations. We choose our pups in a similar way to Cbrand (look for the natural retrievers in the litter), but we mostly use play training and reward/ clicker methods.

First we get the dog liking to retrieve through games such as CBrand described above, then we train them for performance. So far we have never had to use any ear pinch methods. Having said that, we compete for fun rather than for top performance spots - although some who think my mom doesn't take competing seriously have watched her title multiple dogs in a single week-end. So I guess my point is, you can have fun with training and still get good results, it depends on what methods you're comfortable with. :)

· Registered
2,314 Posts
I agree with you on this. When we go to local UKC shows there is a lab breeder there that straight out smacks her dogs in front of everyone enough to make them scream I have also seen her pinch her dogs ears when they act a fool. She hunts with them so, I can already imagine how her training sessions are.
Ugh. :( Everyone has their own opinions of course, but if I'm not having fun and my dog's not having fun when it comes to performance events then I don't see any point doing it. It seems like such an out of date method to use this type of training, but that's just my opinion.

My mom uses about 95% positive reinforcement and 5% negative reinforcement. She's been known to pinch an ear (lightly) a couple of times to get the dog's attention. But it's definitely not a primary method for her. We just find from personal experience that especially with softer dogs we get much better results with an upbeat happy approach then a downbeat negative approach. It's all about what works for you and your dog, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine to go to these dog events and see dogs who look unhappy in the ring. I like to see tails up with happy dogs loving what they're doing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.