Poodle Forum banner

Retreiving/Working Poodles

4784 Views 35 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cash
Can anyone direct me where I can find informatin on any websites or other places that I can find information on Poodles who work/retreive? Never having been around any dogs who hunt or retreive, I don't even know where to start, but I would love for Cash and I to learn.

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,134 Posts
I will finally have a chance to start training Enzo retrieving. I should be going to a dock diving class next weekend. To get him into jumping in the water to get his toys. Enzo has a very high prey drive so We will see what happens when he goes. He went to the beach once and loved it and he can swim :D

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Dock diving sounds like a blast! Cash's prey drive isn't that high, so I think I'll see what I can do on solid ground before we hit the water..lol
Does Cash like water ?

Yeah lol start out slow. Cbrand gave great advice. Enzo too prey driven sometimes Not sure if you saw the video of him finding my cats ? He chases my cats when I make them get out of my room lol.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Honestly, he hasn't been around much water. We have a large pond, but the dogs always smell SO bad after they've been in it, we haven't allowed him down there. There's also LOTS of burrs and stuff to get stuck in his coat. (I spend 3 hours pulling burrs out of his coat two nights ago- I swore next time he would get shaved!)
He does try to chase our cats sometimes though - I have been trying to break him of it because they told me his mother will kill any cat that she can catch.
If he chases the cats then he has a prey drive. Enzo wont kill my cats but he chases them for fun and play. Turn that prey drive away from you cats onto toys. Enzo loves feather cat toys lol Try this ( I am going to buy on soon) http://www.gundogsupply.com/wildwingdummy.html. I am also going to buy a dokken dummy which is this http://www.gundogsupply.com/dokkenducks.html

Along with this book ( probably buy it right now as I type lol )
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1255026664&sr=1-1&seller=

don't buy it from amazon though other websites have it for 24.95

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Also, anyone interested in Competition Hunt work would be smart to find non-Lab people to train with. The Lab folks are really, really hard on their dogs. Many of them don't think that you are doing it right unless your Lab is screaming when you zap it with the E-collar. A Lab will take that kind of abuse, but a Poodle will resent you for it. Try to find a Golden person to work with. They are usually a little kinder to their dogs.
I agree with you on this. When we go to local UKC shows there is a lab breeder there that straight out smacks her dogs in front of everyone enough to make them scream I have also seen her pinch her dogs ears when they act a fool. She hunts with them so, I can already imagine how her training sessions are.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Hi, I discovered tonight that i had some visits to my site - from this site, so I came on over for a look - and viola! You are discussing Poodles working in the field. This is my passion and one of the things I love about owning Poodles - so if and where I can offer any advice - direction to good resources or simply moral support please let me know!

My husband and I hunt ducks and upland with our Poodles. We have a Master Hunter, Senior Hunter and two other Junior Hunters. We have made mistakes and learned from them along the way - modifying our processes for each dog with a unique personality.

I encourage anyone who wants to play in the field - to do so. It is a wonderful opportunity to spend time outside, work with your dog and build a bond that is a lot of fun.

Claudia

The Poo'Pla Standard Poodles
Welcome I asked questions about this on a gundog forum you are on and you where the only reason why I posted lol I don't think you got to my thread but it was months ago when Enzo was barely 4-5 months old.

I still am going to try trying him to retrieve. The hardest part I am facing now is picking up objects that are not his toys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.