Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just joined a second ago but i usually reside in "dogforums.com".. the layout is rather similar.

I've fallen in love with spoos- I know Im a poodle owner at heart.

I am looking for reputable breeder of standard poodles, but I'm also looking at Moyen poodles as I admire their size. Is ethical breeding of Moyens a thing? or is it just a size appeal for money?

I know I may sound silly, but I see a lot of breeders now adays breeding for the people- not for the betterment of the breed. I don't see any information regarding the moyen, and they don't have a class in dog shows..

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Poodles in the USA come in three sizes.
  • The Standard Poodle: over 15 inches at the shoulder — most are in the 22-27″ range.
  • The Miniature Poodle: over 10 inches and not over 15 inches at the shoulder – most are in the 13-15″ range.
  • The Toy Poodle: 10 inches and under at the shoulder.
I suggest you go to the Poodle Club of America or local affiliate to help in a search for reputable breeders. There is also a link on here that rose& poo has been working on , which is very helpful to those starting out and looking for their first poodle

·
Premium Member
24,021 Posts
In addition to Mufar's great comments and suggestion I will also say that if you are willing to tell us the geographic area you are looking in (hopefully to not ship a pup) then we are likely to have specific suggestions for you for great breeders.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Located in Southern Missouri

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Poodle Side :)

I'm in a suburb of Kansas City, on the KS side, makes us practically neighbors! You'll know that our area is a prime puppy mill area so take extra care in vetting breeders.

There aren't a large number of conscientious breeders in the nearby area but there are some and if you make a connection with one, they'll know who else to refer you to.
The list I've started is a perpetual work in progress. One localish breeder I don't think I've got on the list yet is also a member here, UN is Charismatic Millie, website is Apparition Poodles: Quality Breeder of Standard Poodles in St. Louis, Missouri
If Arkansas and Louisiana aren't too far we have Palmares in Arkansas https://www.sherocstandardpoodles.com/
NOLA in Louisiana NOLA Standards
NE Kansas Court Hill Poodles | captain-creek-ranch
North Central Mo Harten Poodles breeder Sharon Svoboda but I can't get any website link to work

Some of the above are on the list and I need to add the rest. Depending on how far you're willing to travel, there's more a day or so drive on the list.
Check the breeder referral here:

More about the medium variety.
The medium size poodle is not officially recognized by North American breed clubs. It is by the FCI, an international registry, with that variety more to be seen in European countries.

There are only a very, very few breeders in the US who are importing true medium's from the countries that recognize that size officially. Most of the folks calling their poodles "medium" are either interbreeding standards and minis (not a well thought of idea), or they simply have miniatures who exceed the 15" limit, or standards who are on the small side of typical.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello Neighbor!

I'm happy to drive/fly up to 10 hours in any direction, really. I'd like to be some what close to my breeder location wise, in order to recieve support through real life, maybe connect at shows, etc. Which makes my few choices I narrowed down a bit risky...

I was looking at Windswept Poodles in Colorado
& Alue Standard Poodles In Nebraska

I noticed with all three of these breeders sometimes have smaller poodles 18-19 inches or so

Oh yeah, forgot to mention WHY I wanted a poodle.. I would love to get a good starter dog to do dog shows with, and since poodles are SO trainable, I figured why not. I'd also like to continue Rally and Agility with a Poodle, I participate with my Lab mix and I can't pass up the sports!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Did a quick swipe thru Windswept and Alue. Both will be going on the Breeder List after a final check on OFA. Good finds and you seem to def know what to look for. Lately I've also been advising to thoroughly review contracts/health guarantee to make sure you can live with the terms.

You'll probably also already know that parent size isn't that reliable as a predictor but possibly if the size range holds thru a few generations, you can ask about that.

Conformation breeders will be trying for the lower end of the spectrum, so you might want to look for more of the performance minded breeders, and there are a few working poodle oriented breeders, Louter Creek comes to mind.

InfoDog will probably be a good resource for you for upcoming shows, if you're not already looking there. InfoDog - The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information about AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services

In Kansas there's the Greater Wichita Poodle Club also. Greater Wichita Poodle Club - The Poodle Club of America

The PC breeder referral folks should be a very good resource. They'll know their members breeding focus.

I also suggest heading over to the Training and Obedience> Performance forum to see members actively participating in those areas. Lily cd re, who has already responded above, is active. She may respond here again too :).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome, thank you for the information!

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
My Iris came from a very reputable breeder in Louisville KY. Ann Rairigh of Litilann’s poodles. She has a stellar reputation as a breeder, owner, handler. Iris was smallish and beautifully proportioned. She was 21” and 37lbs. Ann also is now breeding Mini poodle and will know which of her girls would produce puppies the size you want. My current breeder is Betty Brown of Donnchada Poodles in Plantersville TX. Poppy is 23” and 45 lbs. a friend has a small standard from Betty who is 21” and 37 lbs. such a nice size. Attaching a picture of Iris, from Ann Rairigh.....I had her for 14 yrs.
EAA13D14-3AE5-4E9C-AE6B-47ACDB0C6E40.jpeg

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very pretty girl!... I'm going to measure my Labrador mix and see how he stands.. IMO he is the perfect height. I'll see how I feel from there, I've looked around and I see that some breeders have below the standard for height standard poodles, but I am sure they are probably breeding them to produce heights that are accepted, so that is probably a no go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot recommend enough our poodle's breeder, Aglow Standard Poodles in Michigan. I know that for their most recent litter they sent pups as far away as Alaska. Shawn is a fantastic breeder who specializes in therapy dogs, so she trains all her pups while they're in her care with the same temperament protocols as would be necessary for that kind of work (basically, Puppy Culture, if you're familiar with that). She loves every pup like her own and kept us feeling very very involved as our Oscar was being raised by her, with weekly updates and photo sessions, etc. Honestly while we're happy to be poodle owners, we chose the breeder more than the breed because we love her so much, and we have not been disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts