Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You got yourself a brand new foster... from a puppy mill. Good for you!

So you take this semi-feral, terrified dog to your home for the first time... great! Good first step. He's safe, warm and dry, and well enclosed. Exactly where he should be.

Then you put him out in your backyard for some insane reason. Were you going to 'watch' him? Let him run for a bit just for fun? What in the living hell were you thinking?!!

Naturally, he escapes.

Usually that would be your problem... not mine.

So if you attempt to enlist my help to repair this crisis you will hear MY take on this whole screw-up. They did... I am unfriended... but I hope somebody heard something they needed to hear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You got yourself a brand new foster... from a puppy mill. Good for you!

So you take this semi-feral, terrified dog to your home for the first time... great! Good first step. He's safe, warm and dry, and well enclosed. Exactly where he should be.

Then you put him out in your backyard for some insane reason. Were you going to 'watch' him? Let him run for a bit just for fun? What in the living hell were you thinking?!!

Naturally, he escapes.

Usually that would be your problem... not mine.

So if you attempt to enlist my help to repair this crisis you will hear MY take on this whole screw-up. They did... I am unfriended... but I hope somebody heard something they needed to hear.
Was this from an actual rescue organization, or the owners called it a rescue because they took it from the puppy mill situation?

Poor little pup either way.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I gather you did not mince your words HAHAHA!! Hopefully the poor terrified dog is found before a car does! I would think too that a person, well versed with fostering an essentially feral dog, would've had the sense to either leash the dog or watch it.....also to walk her fence to check it for escape routes!

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I would not want to be in those people’s shoes, CC, I would be scared out of my mind. Of you, lol !

Joke aside I hope the dog is safe. Poor thing must be terrified.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well let's face it... you have to love dogs to be a rescue organization... or one of their fosters. But never let this love overcome common sense or experience.

All new, troubled dogs are not 'cuddly', 'toys', 'pets'. They're closer to a Raccoon in attitude than a pet dog. Somebody, somewhere in that chain, anybody experienced with troubled dogs, should have known that and impressed that on the foster... or picked a different foster... I dunno.

A terrified Poodle is now running around in unfamiliar territory... maybe never seen traffic before.
This could have been prevented... :(

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
I have lost count of the number of "recent rescues" in the Lost Dog reports here, many of them loose on motorways after the new owners stopped at a service area to walk them on the way home. The advice is collar, harness and two leashes for nervous dogs, and even then to stick to enclosed areas until the dog is settled, but too many people seem to think a dog will automatically and immediately bond with an owner, however new. Some are street dogs rescued from Romania etc, whose experience of humans has been such that their one idea is to get as far away from them as possible as quickly as possible - they are more fortunate than this poor poodle as they have the skills to survive, which a puppy mill ex-breeding dog lacks. I hope he is found quickly, and has a happier future.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I hope this dog is found safe. Yes some rescues are very fearful. One of my chihuahuas was a rescue from a hoarder. He had lived in a barn in a plywood pen his whole life. I think they used him as a stud dog. He was 1 of 88 and the last one of three remaining at the shelter. I brought him home, made a pen with a crate in it for him. He settled quick in there as he was used to being penned up. He would cower in a far corner when you would go to pick him up to take him out. One time I was walking him with my other chihuahua, he was harnessed securely and on a leash, and someone he pulled away from me on the walk and took off at high speed. I could not catch him. I had him maybe a month..I said to myself shoot he is gone for sure, I went right home to put the other dog back to go searching and when ZI got there. there he was cowered in the corner at the door. I knew then he was mine. So sometimes there are good endings and I hope this will be one too.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I never take a new dog off a lease until I totally trust them. I will take 3 or 4 leaches together and give that space until the come to me on the first call, it may be 3 weeks or 6 months. I had one for 1.5 years and never could break him to come to me he a terrier, got rid of him, no more terriers

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My first three dogs were all rescues. A lot of people don’t realize how careful one must be to transition a rescued animal..esp if the dog is no longer a puppy. My first dog was in 3 homes prior to coming to me at 8 years. I watched her like a hawk for 2 months. It can be a very rewarding experience if it is done right.

I was talking to a well respected show breeder on pacific NW told me some of her some of her show dogs go thru 5-6 homes in its lifetime and their lives isn’t better than pet situation. It doesn’t sound so different from some rescue situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would not want to be in those people’s shoes, CC, I would be scared out of my mind. Of you, lol !

Joke aside I hope the dog is safe. Poor thing must be terrified.
Haha... even my RBF is stern. I always try to lighten it up with a peaked cap tipped back on my head to at least show an 'open' face.

My 'Will you shut up and LISTEN to me?!" face sent a groomer into a breakdown a month ago. Good! I never want to deal with her again.

My angry face backs down construction superintendents.

That's why I prefer dogs...

I love that idea of Mufar's to match the dogs 'comfortable place', how ingenious! I've never 'created' one, always let them alone to get comfortable in whatever place I give them. But I'm gonna keep that idea in mind. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts