Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
I would have to resort to the tactics of using my iPhone as heard on NPR in which a woman encountered a cougar and played a Metallica song from her playlist. Scared it right off. Unfortunately, I don’t have any heavy metal songs. Maybe we would reach a standoff with “Old Town Road”, worst case a bear hug:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Younger me would have done the same, attacked anything or anyone who is attacking my dogs. Older me would shoot the bear. I live in bear country now. I carry a firearm. I have extensive training in handling firearms. We also have feral hogs.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Nope couldn't do it ........I only weigh 97 lbs!!! But I agree with Dechi.....what happened to the dog??????? Being a nosy old lady, I want details! LOL!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I didn't have to face the decision but did have to consider what I'd do one time. We were in Winter Park for a Mini event a few years ago. I'd gone outside across the drive to the gondola area to have a cigarette (still smoked then). I was behind an evergreen tree, facing the front entry and heard crashing. I looked down the sidewalk to see the bear heading to the trash cans at the front entry. I was extremely glad that the girls were not with me that time!! What would they and the bear have made of each other and how was I going to get back in the hotel without the bear noticing?

I waited a bit and suddenly saw a light waving and a woman yelling "Get away bear" and a few other things. The bear decided to retreat and I stepped out from behind the tree giving a rather weak kneed "Thank you" to the young lady who shooed off the bear.

Now, I don't go into any area at night where there might be predatory wildlife without a flashlight and a whistle.

Not the same as punching :(

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The story doesn’t even say if the dog made it alive. I hate when they can’t even tell a story straight !
What's worse, I wonder... Bears or crazed killers. That lay-by is the same area as the three people who were killed by the young men from Burnaby. Very close to the Liard Hot Springs.

I'm surprised anybody made it out alive. They mention casually that medical treatment was found in Carcross. WOW!

As I recall, it's a half-day trip from Liard to Carcross.
Tho maybe they were flown...

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I googled the name of the conservation officer in the bear story to find out if the dog survived. No luck, but she did have another experience of two juvenile cougars learning to hunt. One had scratched dog's eye before the owner was able pulled it away.

The officer came and then was being stalked by the cougars and one appeared ready to pounce on her. She shot that one then called for backup, and the 2nd one was shot. You can tell she was a bit unnerved in the video describing this.

'A public safety risk': Cougars killed after dog scratched, officer stalked

Bears, cougars, etc, it's all sad to me how we humans have spread out so much and encroached and limited the land space for wildlife. At the same time, I would be deathly afraid running into a predatory animal or having one harm my dogs. No solutions here, just a thought.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that poor dog didn't make it...

I'm kind of glad that I'll never have to face this decision as all the large predators here in Scotland had been killed off hundreds of years ago. Guess the only thing I can compare it to is if a person or another dog attacks Zael, best believe these hands will fly lol.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CBC says unfortunately the dog didn't make it
Thanks for the update. Sad news.... but most of us who have spent time in the Rockies or anywhere in Canada's wilderness know there are animals out there... big animals.

At my sister's place in Nelson, BC the woods start at her back fence and run all the way up to the top of the mountain.

There ARE Cougars there... always.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have bears and coyotes - I walk the area daily and came across stripped bones a month or so ago. Thought to myself a deer was taken down. Brown hair clumped along the road. Found out a couple of days later that it was a lovely older chocolate lab - probably 70 pounds who was taken from his front yard. That’s where his collar was found. I was devastated. And why, was this lovely old man left outside all the time by himself winter and summer? This happened in the afternoon in an area with lots of houses. Still walk by myself around that block - but the poodle doesn’t go that way anymore....

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Lions and Coyotes and Bears, OH, MY!

Yup, we have all of those, here in Colorado, even in the city.

We had a bear in our cul de sac 3 yrs ago, she wandered around our neighborhood for several hours. We used a phone tree to call all the neighbors to warn them to stay indoors and not walk their dogs that evening.

She was on our patio for a while, up close they are very large!

I am well trained and when I walked Iris, and now walk Poppy, I am always armed. I am 70 yrs old and can not out run a mountain lion or bear or even a poodle.

You bet I will fight back.

Our state laws say we can shoot to protect ourselves or another human. We are not allowed to shoot to protect our dog as they are considered property, much like a car or table or chair sooooo......It has to be something like "Officer, Officer, it attacked my dog, then it turned and came after me, I had to shoot to protect myself".

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
...Our state laws say we can shoot to protect ourselves or another human. We are not allowed to shoot to protect our dog as they are considered property, much like a car or table or chair sooooo......It has to be something like "Officer, Officer, it attacked my dog, then it turned and came after me, I had to shoot to protect myself".
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts