Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching dog breeds, and I am planning to get a dog sometime in the next year or so. I have narrowed it down to a Miniature Poodle, or a Havanese. I often torture myself, though, by going on Petfinder. (LOL)

I keep looking at this dog, but since it is a mix, I'm just not sure if it would be allergy friendly. It says that the dog likes children, but when I read about Lhasa Apsos, they aren't recommended for children. This dog looks more "poodle-y", but I guess you never know with a rescue?

Any opinions are appreciated. We really SHOULD wait, as we are planning to put our house up for sale and move soon. I keep thinking about this one, though....

Adoptable Lhasa Apso: MAGGIE: Petfinder

My head tells me I need to just wait, go to a good breeder and know what I am getting, so that I know the dog is kid/allergy friendly. My heart, however, goes out to these dogs! And the idea of a young, housebroken dog is very appealing to me!

·
Registered
631 Posts
She has her adult coat, so if you go meet her and you aren't allergic, you don't have to worry about a coat change from puppy fur (I'm much less allergic to Lola's, my pit bull, adult fur than her puppy fur for some odd reason).
If your allergies aren't too severe, go spend an hour or two with her and see how you do (and bring some benadryl just in case). Go home, see if you have a reaction later, consider her personality, energy level, etc and think about whether she is right for your family.
Have you been around poodles before? I have pretty decent dog allergies (yes, i have 2 non-poodles, but they are shorthaired and I had my month of my body building immunity to them where I was sniffly and sneezy) but I have never, ever reacted to a poodle. That, along with their temperament, size and other wonderful attributes, is why my program and i decided a spoo would be my next service dog.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are always going to be "young-house-broken dogs" available every single week. DONT get this dog even though you want to....you are going to be moving soon. Anything with the word LHASA in it is a no-no....big huge red flag. They are not childrens dogs. I groom them and know many of them quite well. 98% are BAD with children....that rare 2% which ARE good wouldn't be on Petfinder. Quit torturing yourself with petfinder.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are always going to be "young-house-broken dogs" available every single week. DONT get this dog even though you want to....you are going to be moving soon. Anything with the word LHASA in it is a no-no....big huge red flag. They are not childrens dogs. I groom them and know many of them quite well. 98% are BAD with children....that rare 2% which ARE good wouldn't be on Petfinder. Quit torturing yourself with petfinder.
I appreciate this more than you know!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
LOL yeah ummm that video bout sums up my opnion onf Lhaso's and Shi tsu's

the big issue is so much back yard breeding with them temperments are NOT bred in and people tend to not do obedience with them either.

Last obedience class i taught we had a shi tsu and a big Staffie x. Everyone kept freaking out because the staffi was barking at hte shi tsu. UM folks the shi Tsu was the worst thing ever sitting there snarling at the big dog. Who finally would just break down. Staffie took about 2 minutes to figure out 'watch me and ignore the crazy lil furry thing" Shi Tsu? ugh 8 weeks of classes and she needs so mcuh work still. Cute as hell but spoiled mean lil dog

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love this forum! Thanks everyone, I knew I'd get the help I needed! I am back on track with waiting for my well bred dream poodle!!! (After I move, LOL)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts