Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Poodle Forum members!!!

As most of you know - the Poodle Forum does not allow the sale of pets/puppies here on the forum. However, we know that sometimes there are pets out there in a foster or rescue situation looking for a new home.

The administrator and mods have been busy again - discussing a new section of the forum for rescue and adoption placements. This will NOT be for "puppies for sale"; but rather if someone has (or knows of) a dog that needs a new home.

The way this would work is you could send a PM to me with the details. I'll get whatever information I need and inform our administrator, Yung. He will be the only one authorized to put threads into the rescue section - but this could be a resource for people looking for an adult poodle, or someone who has a dog that needs placement...

We would ask that there will be no $$ required for the rescue/foster dog unless the $$ would be going to an established rescue organization as an adoption fee. I do foster and rescue from my home on occasion and when I foster for the rescue agency here in town, they do ask an adoption fee to help them with their mission... I don't charge if I'm doing my own rescue work.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to make this run better/smoother, please chime in!!

Thanks, Yung, for suggesting this idea! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is a great idea!
*Should we PM you with re-homing/free ads from our local papers and Craigslist? Or is this limited to only rescue groups and individuals?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a great idea!
*Should we PM you with re-homing/free ads from our local papers and Craigslist? Or is this limited to only rescue groups and individuals?
I'll see if Yung wants to comment on this question... I'll do whatever he advises...

In case he wants MY opinion :lol: for what it's worth... I think most people who want to look at craigslist already do so... also, on occasion, if it's an urgent placement people already put those into stand alone posts...

If the Poodle Forum creates a rescue/adoption forum - I think it would be easier to get the information we need about the pet directly from the forum member wishing to place the post than from some third party on craigslist...

Keep the ideas and questions coming! :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
i think this is great. i tried hard to rescue a poodle before i bought jessie from a breeder. the process took a long time and i was always just a bit late. this may make it easier for someone who wants to adopt/rescue a poodle. i guess it would be for all sizes? or just standards?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think its a good idea - and while we are at it. The suggestion has been asked before about a health and nutrition sticky - this is the only dog forum I am on that does not have one. And considering the health of poodles and topics of foods it would be nice to have its own place:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
this would be awesome! I don't have any suggestions except that you should do it! I am waiting to get my spoo, until I find the right rescue. I made my mind up that I want to rescue a pet to do my part ( i know it's small) So it would be great to have that sort of information come up on here.

·
Administrator
721 Posts
I'll see if Yung wants to comment on this question... I'll do whatever he advises...

In case he wants MY opinion :lol: for what it's worth... I think most people who want to look at craigslist already do so... also, on occasion, if it's an urgent placement people already put those into stand alone posts...

If the Poodle Forum creates a rescue/adoption forum - I think it would be easier to get the information we need about the pet directly from the forum member wishing to place the post than from some third party on craigslist...

Keep the ideas and questions coming! :)
I agree with this... I would rather not repeat what is already posted on Craigslist or some other third party site....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I had to chime in - albeit late. I actually just sent an e-mail about doing just this on this forum (duh, should've looked here first). The German Shepherd sister forum (germanshepherds.com) does exactly this and I think it works really, really well. As a side note, they DO repost things members find from Craig's List etc and I actually think it's pretty helpful because when you're looking for a rescue, there are so many sites to watch, you don't always catch every one. Plus, it might be a CL area that is just far enough from you for you not to be watching that area list at all, but not so far you wouldn't go get a dog in need. And too, there are always people that weren't looking actively for a dog who are moved by certain stories enough to help. They weren't watching CL at all.
(And if I misunderstood what you meant about the local papers and CL things, I'll do a Rosanne Rosannadanna thing and say Never Minnnnd! ;) )

But again, I think the GS forum is a great model of how the rescue section can and does work well. I think it would be GREAT to have one here. Just my $.02 fwiw!

·
Registered
781 Posts
hi - just wondering if anything further was done with this thread? just saw a new post from a member that triggered my curiosity.

also wondering, would you allow breeders who have "older pups" that were never sold and now would like to just find them home to post on that thread?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for bringing this back to our attention! I sent a PM to Yung, reminding him of this idea as well. Hopefully he'll have time to respond.

Ann Marie - as far as breeders advertising older puppies, etc... it would be up to Yung whether or not it would be allowed, but I'd have to think the breeder couldn't be asking for any monetary compensation for the puppy, otherwise it really wouldn't be an adoption/rescue; but rather a "clearance puppy"! :lol: We'll see what Yung has up his sleeve!

Barb

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I love this idea! Just over the weekend, I posted about a pup in a "pound" in Ohio that I saw on Petfinder. I knew chances were good that he would be adopted, or claimed, but what scared me was the way they listed that he was available for adoption/euthanasia on the same day! YIKES!

I think it can be helpful to post from 3rd party sites. If we know of someone looking in a certain area, and we find something that meets their criteria, it can be helpful. I have been in the "too late" situation before; you need to be quick with the good rescue opportunities!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I love this idea.. it might have been helpful when i was looking for my Poodle. I was originally looking for an adult rescue not a puppy :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Is it possible to also have a sticky reference to known/reputable rescue organisations? Poodle-specific?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts