Poodle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the breeder recommendations, kchen95 also just mentioned Horizon Poodles in MN in my original thread. Will definitely check them out!

I have also exchanged a couple emails with Karbit recently due to her name popping up frequently and find her very good. I may ask some of you Karbit puppy owners about your experiences, but all I hear is good. She even mentioned that the temperament and size I'd be looking for would not be a problem judging from the parents and puppy testing. So far so good!

But I always like to do my research, and because I have the time, I'm speaking with a few people and continuing that track until the timing is right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello,

I just posted a question in the new member area looking for sturdier standard poodles, being a big dog person.

I've now realized two things that quickly changed my focus for a future dog (researching for down the road):
-my home has a 25lb weight limit for pets (yikes for a big dog lover)
-sturdier poodles can sometimes be short-legged and long-bodied, which is definitely not good (like I said, I'm new to this)

After searching threads, I thought I'd pose this new question for the experts here:
What are the most reputable *miniature* breeders you recommend with *calmer* dispositions and more likely to go *oversized* (25lbs)? I would like to go to the maximum weight of what I can, and more like a small standard in appearance.

I live in Ontario but would be willing to drive into other provinces and states. I like Karbit Poodles' reputation and have seen a Saskatchewan breeder with minis that look like small standards, but would like to do a bit more research (I have the time since this is for later down the road).
Hoo boy, stay away from the following so-called breeder. She was a broker for my poor Ricky. I can't find her in PCA, so hopefully she is out of business.

Doris Grant, in Kemptville, Ontario

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
My ideal dog would be intelligent, goofy, non-shedding (!), take 1 mile walks with me, do obedience training, and want to relax too without needing my attention every moment of the day, or otherwise bounce off the walls if he missed that perfect stimulation. Perhaps that is just a balanced dog?
That's my Matisse. (toy poodle) LOL. With emphasis on "goofy." Playful, mischievous and oh so affectionate. But not hyper. (not since he was a pup) Non demanding. Great off switch. As a puppy though...omg! He was very busy. Couldn't sit on my lap for more than about a half a minute and then it was off to check something out, to get a toy, to entice Maurice or me to play. Very busy as a pup. But very mellowed out within a couple years.

My other toy poodle Maurice more quiet (not vocally though) than Matisse. He's very "subtle." (as his breeder described him) Not very busy. Very affectionate and a champion lap sitter. Loves everyone and everyone's lap. haha.

They both can go hiking with me...sometimes up to 4 miles. They could do more but I can't...not all at once. (my achin' feet) But if they miss a walk altogether, they're fine with that too. No need to go for a walk to make their behavior good. They match my mood or my energy level for the most part.

Go to a good breeder. Let him/her know what you're looking for. Remember they change sometimes as they age, as evidenced by Matisse. Maurice was not unlike he is now as a puppy...very laid back. And remember, don't strictly go by rumor or stereotypes. Although there are breed tendencies, they ARE individuals with their own personalities.

I would give up the notion of having a big dog or an out of standard dog. Go with a reputable breeder and be happy with a mini or whatever size dog you decide on. Perhaps you can get a more robust mini but I'd lean toward an in-sized dog or at least a fine breeder who doesn't try to breed differently than the standard but perhaps had one pop out that was a little bigger. Or move out of the place where they tell you how big your dog can be and get what you want. LOL!

Kudos for doing your research. Very important. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the input, Poodlebeguiled. I think you're right - it's much more important to go to a good breeder and talk about what I want in personality and such than find the oversized. Bonus if it turned out a bit on the bigger side! But more important that it's a healthy happy dog who fits my lifestyle (and vice versa). :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the input, Poodlebeguiled. I think you're right - it's much more important to go to a good breeder and talk about what I want in personality and such than find the oversized. Bonus if it turned out a bit on the bigger side! But more important that it's a healthy happy dog who fits my lifestyle (and vice versa). :)
Not to tempt you but - Shilo's New Zealand breeder, Pam Saville of Chamarre Poodles, just had a litter of five born 3 days ago, from Shilo's niece and dad (unrelated, different sides of his family). Pam will be looking for homes for two silver male pups from the litter - they're likely to grow up Shilo size (16-17 inches) :)

Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not to tempt you but - Shilo's New Zealand breeder, Pam Saville of Chamarre Poodles, just had a litter of five born 3 days ago, from Shilo's niece and dad (unrelated, different sides of his family). Pam will be looking for homes for two silver male pups from the litter - they're likely to grow up Shilo size (16-17 inches) :)

Kevin
Not to tempt me! That’s totally temptation right there ha ha... :airplane: :angel2:

It’s bad timing for me and my spouse to get a dog right now, but I’m hoping in a few years (hopefully not longer than that) :pray:

But that won’t stop me from looking at their website again for fun lol...

Thanks for mentioning it though, very kind! Because you never know when you hear news like that and it IS the right timing :act-up:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Shilo's New Zealand breeder, Pam Saville of Chamarre Poodles
Ah, I had forgotten that one of my favourite poodle photos was from her site, under About Us. A cool photo of one red and one black on the back of an industrial truck. You don’t see a lot of shots like that of poodles. I dare say that photo would win more non-poodle people over to poodles than the show dog photos (which I have recently begun to appreciate and understand the significance of, so don’t shoot! ?).

Shots like that made me realize that all those Doodle people out there (like, ahem, myself until recently) can have a way superior and prettier dog without having to “Doodle”. Meeting one on the street, even better.

I think for me Doodles were the gateway to fluffy poodles, which were a gateway to all things poodle ? Not that I’m going to go and call Doodles a gateway drug, but hey! Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a mini from Allure Poodles in Minnesota. She’s about 14inches, 16lb... she definitely is energetic and loves to play, but is also very calm and well mannered. She naps while I work or am watching tv and is self sufficient to play with her toys if she is bored. I’ve had toy poodles, but much prefer her personality over the littler ones

21 - 28 of 28 Posts