Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be good to have one place to post any replies from companies regarding foreign sourced ingredients. Most of us remember the melamine nightmare and are wary of China.

At the same time, with the potential correlation of DCM and grain free foods (and possibly other issues related to boutique formulations), many of us are switching food types/brands.

I've emailed Hill's about their large breed puppy and Purina about Pro Plan Savor Puppy Shredded chicken and rice.

I'll post replies when I get them.

If you've emailed any manufacturers about foreign sourced ingredients, please post the responses here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Hill's:

Hill's® sources raw materials only from countries where there are reliable safety procedures in place, primarily in the United States, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and several European countries.

Only two of our ingredients come from China; Taurine and L-Carnitine. China is the number one supplier for many of the specialized vitamins and amino acids for all manufacturers. In fact, China supplies over 90% of the world's Taurine. The reputable facilities that we work with are strictly audited and certified prior to our even considering buying the ingredient from them. We absolutely ensure the safety of the Taurine and L-Carnitine we receive from China and feed Hill's products with confidence to our own precious pets.
We*want to reassure you Hill's® goes to great lengths to ensure the safety of the ingredients we use. Regardless of the country where our ingredients are sourced from, the ingredient supplier must meet Hill's strict guidelines for doing business. Each shipment must meet Hill's quality and safety qualifications before entering our plants.

We make every bag of our dry pet food in our own US facilities with the highest quality natural ingredients.

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to call our Consumer Affairs Department toll free at 1-800-445-5777 or visit our website at HillsPet.com.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From Purina:

While the vast majority of our ingredients are sourced from the United States, we do source a limited amount of ingredients from other countries, including China. The ingredients from China - primarily important nutritional supplements - are not commonly available from other countries in the quantities we need. Our Lamb is from New Zealand or Australia. For additional information you may click this link: https://www.purina.com/nutrition/sourcing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from Three Dog Bakery which is the primary treats we use for our dogs. This was from when I emailed them last December.

Three Dog Bakery:

We are constantly working to achieve 100% sourced in the US. As far as treats go, tapioca starch is not USA sourced, it is from France – not all of our treats have tapioca starch but several of them do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts