Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Renn had his first sick visit at vet. Last Sunday he would not eat, not breakfast or dinner, he will lots of times skip one but never two meals. But I wasn't so worried until Monday morning I found that he regurgitated a sock. Now he is a now sock eater, if he sees one he will grab & swallow, no play...so we are fairly vigilant...or so I thought. Well afterward he was his happy self and with a little persuasion he ate both meals of the day. Tuesday morning his stool was not right, very soft though formed then mush. Thats not him he is rock solid always. So I thought I would only give him a small amount of food just in case, well he ate it just fine. An hour or so later he threw up , 3 times. When I took him our he had explosive gassy diarrhea, after his 2nd bout I knew something wasn't right so off to the vet we went. Well one thing he went from his 55-56 lbs last year to 67-68 lbs now. So vet did stool check, felt around, temp. all normal then did X-ray. Xray wasn't clear but he thought there was a dark area which could be food but no way to know if he had another sock in there or what so he had us go to the ER clinic across town for an ultra sound. Good news there he is fine no foreign bodies. So back across town we go back to our vet for treatment plan for gastritis.
We did find due to ultra sound he has small adrenal glands, (possible indicator of additions). So vet did additional BW...everything good, no signs of addisons, and he just has small glands, no worries. I did also find out something about his behavior, at first vet he barked and growled at vet and assistant, so I held him for exam and he growled a little but was ok. When he went with vet for X-ray they had me muzzle him. :(. At ER clinic, he gave a bark when someone approached me, but when I handed him over to the tech, he went peacefully without problem, (only initial he tried to stay by me). They said they would hold him in the back instead of putting him thru the process of coming and going from me. He was sweet and fine with them and when they put him on his back for ultra sound they didn't have to sedate him any as he just laid there for them. When they brought him out to me he ran over and hugged me. LOL They said he is very attached and protective of me but that once away from me he is fine though anxious. Not sure what I can do about that? But on one hand I do like him being protective of me, though initially thats not want I wanted. Anyway its now Saturday morning, he had his first fairly normal poo but now he wants to eat only chicken and rice and leave the kibble behind. Can I blame him? Anyway a scare but all good I guess that darn ol sock upset his tummy, who knows how long its been lying in his stomach, its mate had been sitting on my dryer for a month?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Poor Renn!!!

I'd give him a bit of a pass for being protective, gastritis is painful! Hope he's feeling better, glad he's enjoying his chicken and rice.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Oh, no! Poor Renn?

I'm so glad Renn is doing better after all that. Sisko is also very attached to me. He is almost always in the same room with me. I'm not really sure what to do about it either. Please let me know if you figure something out to help with it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Poor boy! What a stressful experience for you both. I think he’ll be alright on chicken and rice for a while as he recovers.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
So glad to hear Renn's ok. Hope you're recovering from the scare, too :).

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well happy to report Renn is back to himself and all ends are once again normal. I reduced his anti diarrhea med to one per day and he is getting a probiotic. Everything looks normal. Rice ended yesterday and was replaced with a portion of his kibble. Still getting the yummy chicken, since I boiled up a package of it. Makes me think I may want to add some home cooking into his meals. The other dogs are hanging by his bowl. LOL And cow pony the sock which turned from a stripped black sock to a green rough looking one has now been properly discarded, as well as its pristine match.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Glad to hear that Renn is doing well after his sock adventure. Asta will sniff my socks but has never attempted to eat one, thank God,

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Lily is an eater of many naughties. Thankfully not socks though, mostly tissues and napkins, although right now I am on the lookout for a nozzle piece from a can of squeeze cheese I had used over the summer for Javelin's around the clock article work. I know the kind of worries these things provoke. Glad things sound better though.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Renn and I say thank you all for your kind words but he now says you want me to eat that? I want that other stuff called chicken n rice and you can't trick me into eating that hard crunchy stuff with eww canned yuck..no way..and no I don't want that yogurt either. gimme chicken...

·
Super Moderator
1,461 Posts
Renn and I say thank you all for your kind words but he now says you want me to eat that? I want that other stuff called chicken n rice and you can't trick me into eating that hard crunchy stuff with eww canned yuck..no way..and no I don't want that yogurt either. gimme chicken...
Siba gets McDonalds chicken, so I hear. Just sayin'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts