Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. As part of Annie's spay, her belly was wrapped in adhesive bandage that needs to be removed this weekend. Our vet likes to do this rather than a cone because a lot of the dogs she treats are outdoor dogs and it keeps the incision clean, she thinks they heal better, and it doesnt usually require a cone (I have one for backup) Great! Except....
The vet tech said it should just pull off once I cut the top, but I have experience with a small amount of the same adhesive on Annie and it most definitely didnt pull off easily :) I am trying to come up with a plan of attack for this weekend.

Any suggestions? I am thinking I may need to shave it off, but would really rather not!
20200526_150102.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would try using mineral oil on it. Just work it slowly under the bandage. She will need a bath after lol. Mineral oil works super well to remove animals caught to sticky traps so I'm pretty sure it would be effective and safe.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Any chance you can get her back over to the vet and have them do it?

·
Premium Member
23,151 Posts
That is a big ugghh! I get the concept of doing everything possible to keep the incision sight clean, but I don't understand the huge taped bandaging. It seems like they could have put an adhesive bandage that has easy release adhesive on her belly and then co-wrap all the way around her belly.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Wow. I hope the vet did as Catherine mentioned. That is used a non-stick wrap against the wound and fur and then covered with sticky tape to secure. That’s a large expanse of fur trapped in sticky bandages if they didn’t.

Twylas link has excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's ALL adhesive. There is a non adherent pad over the incision

I think I will try the vegetable oil solution, and cut it into strips with bandage scissors.

Probably half of the dogs this vet treats are outdoor dogs, who live in a doghouse filled with straw, so she adheres it very well.

I should have asked the vet tech about it as she was giving me the discharge instructions, but i had been in line for 20 min, 35C, blazing sun, humid, and I hadn't seen Annie yet while we chatted, and when I saw Annie my brain immediately went to "puppy dog, how are you, you are so dopey, do you need a pee?!" Instead of "wow that's a lot of adhesive"

I dont think its such a problem on non-poodle fur. She used the same stuff on our old collie, and it peeled off easily enough, and probably would also peel easily from the labs, hounds, and collies that are most of the local dogs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We took it off this weekend. It wasn't all adhesive, there was a 2" strip of adhesive on both ends, then some rolled gauze in the middle. Definitely removed some hair removing it, poor girl. The incision is still pretty raw, so Annie had being wearing pants. She turns into a sad statue if I put a cone on her, and decides she is incapable, for hours, of moving at all, other to stand/lie down in place, so this is a better solution. I used a tshirt, put her legs through the arm holes and her tail through her head hole. She looks like she is wearing a diaper, but doesnt lick or try to remove it.

I tried a vet wrapped bandage, but it shifts and then she licks.
20200602_105329.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We took it off this weekend. It wasn't all adhesive, there was a 2" strip of adhesive on both ends, then some rolled gauze in the middle. Definitely removed some hair removing it, poor girl. The incision is still pretty raw, so Annie had being wearing pants. She turns into a sad statue if I put a cone on her, and decides she is incapable, for hours, of moving at all, other to stand/lie down in place, so this is a better solution. I used a tshirt, put her legs through the arm holes and her tail through her head hole. She looks like she is wearing a diaper, but doesnt lick or try to remove it.

I tried a vet wrapped bandage, but it shifts and then she licks.
Aww poor baby. Glad the bandage came off without too much fur sacrifice.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Poor Annie! I do wonder if keeping it covered like that may have impeded healing. I always thought bandages had to be changed daily, but your vet must have recommended this method for a reason.

Did you try an inflatable donut on her? I don't think Peggy would tolerate one very well, but I babysat a doodle who didn't even seem to care. He used it like a neck pillow.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The incision actually looked really good when I took the bandage off - there are a lot of human studies that show keeping things bandaged and moist speeds healing- but the dissolvable stitches have now disappeared and a certain bouncy poodle jumped around outside on a 6 ft leash and opened the incision a bit. It was either then or when she lifted her long legs when she was standing in a cone and scratched at her stomach a bunch. So long as I keep either a bandage or a shirt on her, she seems not to be bothered by it, but the moment either slips, she wants to lick or scratch it.

I havent tried one of the inflatable cones, the nearest pet store is a 45 min drive away so havent been motivated enough to go. I think she would tolerate it, she is completely fine with being dressed, it's just the first time she wore the cone she got stuck on the stair case and I think she is still traumatized. It was very funny- she saw her reflection with the cone on and started to growl!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
good to see she's recuperating with a stylish home made diaper. Very clever.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are now doing the "toga" look instead of the diaper look. The diaper tended to slip if I didnt tie it well enough, so I started trying it with string to her collar. Then tonight, as I was getting us ready for bed, I had a flash of inspiration.
A tshirt night gown! It's long enough to safety pin it around her collar with no pulling and I think even more comfy.

Annie says, Good night everyone! Human, stop getting ideas and go to bed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh Annie lollll! She somehow manages to look extremely silly and also extremely dignified, all at the same time.
Ptp - I think that is the perfect description of her personality. She is a silly dog with enough confidence that she makes anything she does look dignified and intentional. Like a person who slips and falls in mud, then examines the mud to make it look like she meant to be there (and pulls it off).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts