Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever used a remote leash for dog training? It sounds a little out there to me, but it may be a fantastic training method....I'm just not familiar with it. I'm open to you who are more knowledgable than me.

Thanks in advance--
Dee

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term remote leash, are you talking about a shock or a spray collar by chance? Or maybe one of those sonic ones(wich I think are useless by the way lol).

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I used a remote training collar on my German Shepherd.

I had a lot of people flame me for it but it was a last resort. This was after trying a martingale, head collar and pinch collar, all of which failed her. She was also horrible on recall and although she's not dog aggressive she's very dominant so she would sometimes sound aggressive when seeing other dogs at the park, etc...

I would try all other ways of training before jumping to a shock collar (that's basically what it is) some dogs can be very sensitive and its easy to break a sensitive dog (poodles being extremely sensitive) I would also suggest getting a high quality collar, one that has both the shock and the tone button, it's the easiest to use for training and i think it's more humane than just having a shock option.

I had a trainer help me use it with Pandora to make sure I wasn't going to hurt her. Once the trainer found the level that worked for her he had me feel it and it didn't hurt, it was a bit stronger than a static shock from the carpet, but enough to get her attention. She's never whined on it her ear will perk up a bit when being corrected but no vocal noises come from her so I don't believe it causes her pain.

When using it for correction I would FIRST use the tone button and then right after the shock button and eventually now when I take her out off leash if I want her to come and she doesnt all I have to do is hit the TONE button without having to shock her. She knows if she hears that tone button what follows so she comes right away.

It's worked very well but like I said I had a trainer guide me with using it to ensure I was not hurting my dog.

She was just very stubborn as a pup and now I can take her off leash at the lake and at the park to play frisbee and she does just fine. I've never had a scare where I thought she wouldn't come back. I don't even need the collar 100% of the time but I ALWAYS have it when not in a fenced area for her own safety. I don't believe any dog can be 100% reliable off leash. There is always something that could be more interesting than me!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I bought a shock collar on my GSD when I was a teen because I did not understand the behavior of dogs completely.

It was the worst dog training tool I have every bought. It made her crouch down in fear every time she would hear the warning beep ! and I used it on my self and it HURTS so i threw it away !

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Anyone here ever used a remote leash for dog training? It sounds a little out there to me, but it may be a fantastic training method....I'm just not familiar with it. I'm open to you who are more knowledgable than me.

Thanks in advance--
Dee
What problems are you having with your dog ? maybe I can suggest some methods to try.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I bought a shock collar on my GSD when I was a teen because I did not understand the behavior of dogs completely.

It was the works dog training tool I have every bought. It made her crouch down in fear every time she would hear the warning beep ! and I used it on my self and it HURTS so i threw it away !

Eep, I dunno what kind of collar that would have been. Mine doesn't hurt and Pandora gets all excited when I show her the collar and can't wait. She knows if I have that collar it means that we're going to the lake or out to the park for some off leash fun so she's never cowered from it. You're supposed to only have it high enough to either see an ear perk or the dog start looking around, basically as an attention getter not as a form of punishment.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Eep, I dunno what kind of collar that would have been. Mine doesn't hurt and Pandora gets all excited when I show her the collar and can't wait. She knows if I have that collar it means that we're going to the lake or out to the park for some off leash fun so she's never cowered from it. You're supposed to only have it high enough to either see an ear perk or the dog start looking around, basically as an attention getter not as a form of punishment.
I was a shock collar ..... again this was when I was 14 companies change how animal products preform over the years. I am guarantee that some still hurt.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I think I posted about one... I got a 'training collar' for moose, it has good beep, bad beep, and then shock with a setting from 1 to 6. I've used it on myself up to a 4 and could barely feel it. I used it on moose on a 3 or 4, and know what it's amazing... I only used it a couple times.

He learned VERY QUICKLY what it meant. I also trained with it with a reward system, and how the manual said to use it. It's more of a 'scare thing' than a 'omg your burning my skin off' thing.

Within minutes he was a different dog! It's worked SO WELL. I only charged the darn thing once or twice and it's been in the cabinet.

I think they work well if you use them how they are supposed to be used and FOLLOW THROUGH (like any other training too) it will work fine.

We got it so we could let him wonder around our new property and not worry he'd wonder off. He's gotten much braver since we moved in but he still comes when I yell at him to get on over here, sometimes it takes a bit because he's gotten so far. The next thing I need to train him is to stay within distance of site! L O LThat will be fun.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Aidan, I just wanted to point out that a martingale is not a training collar... It is designed to prevent dogs from slipping their heads back out of the collar and escaping. Some people try and use them as a limited choke collar, but they really don't work well for that purpose :)

What you might want to keep in mind when considering a shock collar is that where force begins knowledge ends. People who rely are such method don't have a clue about dog behavior and training in general. Nor does it appear that many of them are willing to learn. They don't have the knowledge to teach the behavior they are looking for so they jump right to things like choke chains, shock collars and alpha rolls... non of which are needed in 99% of cases.

Remote training systems have their place for sure, but not in the hands of most people I'm afraid. I've used them for backing up cues with gun dogs and such. If the dog is in the middle of the field of in the middle of the lake you have to have a way to reach out and touch them so to speak. For general training though, I wouldn't even dare, nor would I work with a client who did.

Of course, to each his own...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh and one more little tid bit you don't have to resort to the static shock collars. There is a system that relies on a harmless and painless spray of citronella, one of the brands that jump to mind is the spray commander... if it's still called that lol. It's made by premire. The remote on it has a button for a tone and one for a spray. Haha, we had one out of the box last week testing the batteries, and I shot my mother with it :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
For general obedience I used strictly positive reinforcement for commands and she did well with it and for awhile I tried playing frisbee with her at the parks on a 50 ft long line and using a whistle to call her back for a reward which works great MOST of the time unless there happens to be another dog. She will run up to a strange dog barking and growling ever since she was attacked by a lab mix while we were walking. The lab ripped a chunk out of her neck and she had to have stitches. Ever since then she's had a pretty rough case of fear aggression. She does fine if introduced to a new dog but if one is just walking up to her while at the park or out at the lake she flips. She was already a pretty dominant dog to begin with.

She's never had issues when friends come over with their dogs but we introduce them through the fence first and once she's sniffed a bit and I guess realizes im not going to let her get hurt she's fine.

It was so hard trying to play frisbee with her or take her out to the lake on a long line because every 2 minutes I was having to reel her in and make sure she wouldnt go after another dog or she'd get hung up on something or trip while running going for the frisbee, etc...

So, I called up a few dog trainers, had someone with a lot of experience help me pick out a system, showed me everything from how to properly put it on my dog to how to set her level. It goes from 1-8 and even has in between levels as well as a tone and vibration mode. He said the vibration was more for off leash training with deaf dogs, that doesn't hurt at all, it feels a little funny but I suppose it would work for recall on a deaf dog.

Pandora learned all of her basic obedience through a positive training class. We used the martingale collars. The trainer there suggested them because she said the sound of the chain sometimes helps with training without having to resort to a slip collar. I do like the no slip factor though, and I love some of the all cloth martingales i've found that just look really nice.

I tried several things while out in public trying to get her to focus on me instead of other dogs. I tried using high value treats that normally she'd do anything for, i tried just walking away and nothing worked she would bark, lunge, bare teeth, etc... at the sight of another dog.

With the ecollar on she will still notice other dogs and might look alert but she wont go after them even off leash. I'm able to simply call her to get her attention and she comes right over. She also doesn't "shake". While walking normally without it and we see another dog she will tremble while barking and growling as if she just cant control it.

I'm not sure WHY it works. She's not even afraid of her ecollar, when I get it out she runs up for me to put it on. She usually knows this means frisbee or lake which are her two favorite things in the world. She also used to like chasing boats (or trying to) while at the lake, lol so this helps with that as well.

I don't use it daily or even on every outting. She's getting better if SHE initiates the meeting of another dog and I think eventually she'll be all right. I think the problem happened when she was young but not too young to get over it. It wasn't just a little bite either, another guy had to help me get the strange dog off Pandora. I really thought this lab mix was going to kill her, and he probably could have.

I don't go anywhere with my dogs without mace from now on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the info. I was advised to try this type of training and was considering it until things got worse quickly with Coco. If we had him for a long time, I would have been more willing to try a training method of some sort with him, but because we only had him a few days, I was unsure if the time, energy, money investment would have paid off. I posted this already, but I'm reposting here in case you don't see the other (Coco came, Coco went).

Coco is such a sweet wonderful dog, but he's not our dog anymore. We're very sad. We had him for 5 days and were totally committed to him until he started lunging & barking at the kids. I have little kids (2-6 year olds) in and out of my house almost every day. He cornered a 4 year old girl against our garage and my son got stuck on a stool in the kitchen with him barking and lunging. It started out slow but got progressively worse.

I may have been able to counter-condition him to not go after the kids but we didn't have any margin for error. We adopted him from a poodle rescue, I let them know what was happening and they suggested we bring him back and they refunded our money. He had not shown any signs of this in his foster home. We all thought it was a good match until this started happening. No one has hard feelings, I'm just pretty sad because I really was bonding with him.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a remote collar on Cardi. I hate walking with leashes and so purchased a remote collar to still have him under control when we go for walks off leash. Honestly, I've only had to use it like 4 times. He now has excellent recall and is always attentive to us. I have the setting very low, so low it almost doesn't feel like anything. It more just startles him then "shocks" him.

I think they are excellent tools to use, IF used correctly. If you are going to get one, learn how to use it right. I think everyone who is going to have their dog off-leash should use one. Dogs should be under control at all times, it's only safer for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts