Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I found flea dirt on Poppy, and a rigorous combing turned up one flea on her, several on Sophy, and (surprisingly) nothing at all on the cats. I don't treat them routinely as we rarely have a problem, but fortunately still had supplies of Frontline Plus for dogs and Advantage for cats in the cupboard (it was, of course, a holiday weekend...). But the last outbreak we had proved to be Frontline resistant, and had built up to a significant infestation by the time I finally found something that worked. I have been combing all the animals several times a day, drowning the occasional flea as I found them (very satisfying, by the way), but today the only one I found on Sophy was very small and dead. Hurrah! The drops are working! If I keep up the vacuuming, washing, combing etc I may be able to avoid really nasty sprays and flea bombs, which I hate having to use.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I think the medication you are using only kills juvenile fleas and not adults. I have noticed over time that fleas don't like poodles as much as GSDs and Labs. I think the dense coat is not a good home.
Eric.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is listed as killing all of them, and stopping reproduction too, but it can take a while to work. A day or two to spread over the animal, then up to 48 hours for fleas to die after biting. Assuming that the ones I found laid viable eggs before they drowned, and that conditions are currently pretty nigh perfect for flea development, the cycle should grind to a halt in around 3-6 weeks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm glad the Frontline is working!

We live in a high-flea environment (pet-friendly apartment complex with year-round bugs) and have a cat who's allergic to fleas, so our flea protocol is pretty hardcore.

The dogs take Nexgard, since the ingestible flea meds are usually more effective. The cat has to do Revolution (drops) because he throws up if you give him the ingestible version for cats. Usually that does it, and if we're diligent about keeping up with them the fleas stay away.

If we do get an outbreak, there's a spray product called Ovitrol that's supposed to have a hormone in it that stops flea eggs from hatching. I spray that around the doors and baseboards and other areas of the house. I've also sprayed it on a paper towel and applied it directly to the cat during a very persistent outbreak we had once. It's supposed to repel fleas as well, so sometimes I spray it on the outside of our door as a preventative.

I've tried diatomaceous earth, but didn't see very quick results from it (which are important as the cat will get sick if he breaks out from the fleas for too long). I will sprinkle it on or around pet beds and anywhere else I don't want chemicals if the fleas get really bad. It seems to help a little.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the problem is finding an effective spot on for the dogs that is also safe with cats around. The Frontline Plus is an identical formulation for both cats and dogs, meaning they can share a large pack of pipettes, but many of the other ones for dogs contain chemicals dangerous for cats, and mine share beds with the dogs and will often groom them too. I check very, very carefully these days, as I can't rely even on my vet's excellent staff to point out the dangers!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I HATE FLEAS!!!! Living in Calif they are a year round pest and you have to be really on top of it to keep them from becoming an infestation in the home.
I kept Molly on Advantix all year round and I never saw a flea.........then I don't know why I decided to stop using it, I think my intention was to put her on a chewable but never got around to to it............this was a year ago! I have not seen a single flea or even signs (flea dirt) since! I thought I'd have to start again when the weather turned hot, but nope, it's hotter than heck and still no fleas!! Maybe Eric is right that fleas don't like poodles with dense coats......
I will add though that when I go to my son's house with all that dirt, foliage, his dogs, and his cats, I take a bottle of Wondercide with me 'just in case' LOL! I Have no idea if this stuff works, but we have not brought home a single flea! LOL!
Good luck getting rid of those nasty buggers!!!!!

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've been clear for two whole years, but the last outbreak was horrible - I treated all four animals with Frontline Plus, and it had no effect. And then, of course, I was reluctant to treat them with anything even the slightest bit similar for fear of an overdose. We got them from my sister's garden - she had been looking after my neice's cat, and the house was pinging with fleas that were eating her alive! I didn't even take the dogs inside - they must have picked them up from the garden. Talk about once bitten twice shy...

Reactions: Siskojan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts