Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cameo- you got me thinking-

What authorities does one report a groomer that is hitting an animal?
how does one prove it?
Im not being argumentative, just curious.

I have worked with people who have yelled,slapped,hit with tools ect ect client's dogs, if I had questioned it I was in danger of losing my job, and really at the time it wasn't an option, as soon as I was able to financially support myself without working at these places, I did quit.

Oh, best job ever (sarcasm people) was the one where half the groomers were stoned out of their minds, I seriously(can't make this crap up) walked out back to have a cigarette, and one of the groomers and the bather(shop-owner's son) were smoking a doob...yes people of fayetteville- these are the people using sharp objects on your dog!

BOY OH BOY can I tell you some good ones :)

I think there needs to be some basic regulations regarding grooming. too many people walk in to wal-mart, buy some shampoo,clippers, and basic tools, watch some youtube videos and call themselves professionals.

(ps-not bashing anyone who home grooms, just saying that the above does not make you a professional, or qualified to work on other people's pets)

Cages should be disinfected in between dogs, equipment and cages should be in good working order, buildings should routinely exterminated for fleas and ticks, and thats just to protect the dogs and cats...
Floors should have antislip mats in the bathing/drying area, employees should look professional, and be educated about proper handling of animals with "issues"(senior pets,aggressive pets,fearful pets)
I think another thing that many groomers do not do enough is educate clients.

If a pet comes to me with fleas, I tell the owner, and let them know why fleas are bad(many don't know about the fact that fleas can give your dog tapeworms, or that a heavy infestation can kill a dog or cause other issues like dermititis) and that it is safer and more cost effective to use a monthly preventative rather than a dip or shampoo. most dips and shampoos only protect for 7 days or less!

owners may not see the lumps and bumps that we do

What IF your dog had a malignant tumour, and the groomer just groomed around it? early detection can save a dogs life.

Dental problems have been proven to have a link to kidney and heart and liver problems, if a dog comes in with a stinky mouth full of rotted teeth, suggest that the client take their pet to the vet to get a cleaning/extraction, AND EXPLAIN why.

Explain to clients why their pets nails should be clipped regularly, i use the analogy of a dog walking on long toenails to a lady walking in heels 24/7.

I had a lady bring a small red poodle (cutest thing ever!) that was matted near the skin, but not on top. I showed her proper brushing technique after we agreed that had to be shaved, and the dog never was matted again.

If a dog has issues with grooming, sometimes the owner has no idea, once they realize that, they usually won't ask for miracles to be performed.

sometimes an owner has to be told that a dogs comfort needs to override fashion. In some cases its not feasible to expect a 10 year old shih-zu to look like a showdog, and endure hours of standing to be brushed and trimmed and dried.

Its not in the dogs best interest to expect an arthritic poodle who HATES having his feet shaved to endure it, rounded or closely scissored feet may be a better option

I could go on, but this post is getting too long

:scared:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here you call the department of Ag. They will come out and investigate. I have been involved in such an investigation, and it was very thorough. I don't know how you could prove groomer abuse with out cameras. In our case it was a boarding kennel I was managing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Department of ag regulates boarding here as well, but i wonder if you would have to get video of a groomer being mean, and then take it to animal control?

Amber- who feels like writing a book today

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I worked with a groomer who was horrible to dogs..I went to the store manager, she did nothing, i finally video taped it and showed it to her she STILL did nothing.

So i sent the video to corporate, also uploaded it to youtube and posted it on the section of craigslist the store was in. THEN the groomer was fired.

I also figured it would be best to find other employment...

Unfortunately she's still grooming at Petsmart now instead of Petco. At least last I heard she was.

She would hit dogs, once she threw a 4 month old shih tzu puppy off the table, she would sit on schnauzers that were acting up..

I wasn't sure what to do with the video when I first took it and I asked forum members for advice. She eventually was fired though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I too worked at a BIG BOX grooming shop and kept my mouth shut. I had a contract and I needed to bide my time. I have horror stories too. However I myself am not ashamed. I never did anything like that and didn't participate or imitate them. They said everyone does it....WELL I don't! But I will keep it in mind about the Dept. of Agriculture. I know a groomer who owns a shop and she's mean....that's what my clients have told me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
In NC, animal abuse is enforced by your area's policing agency (ie: sheriff or police department) as it's a CRIME to abuse an animal and IF you have video of it, there's enough evidence to prosecute. Department of Ag doesn't govern the grooming industry in NC, only boarding, so they would be no help.

I am totally in favor of licensing of groomers nationwide, as I feel it would make groomers accountable. As it now stands, a groomer can get fired from a place and simply go to work somewhere else or open their own place without consequence. But with licensing, there would be a governing body that would investigate reports, issue fines, or revoke license's. They would also be setting the standards that we are to abide by and while some will BUCK the whole issue of licensing, I feel it WILL offer more consumer confidence and continuity to the industry. I'm sure there will STILL be the isolated incidence, but it will eliminate the possibility of just anyone opening a salon.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What I saw at PetsMart was more rough-handling kind of thing : (( and she knew I was watching since they have glass enclosure all around the grooming stations :eek:hwell:.

I came to the grooming area since I always like to stop and see doggies getting pretty and watch them fluffed-up :). This was first time I was in this shop - wanted to check in what way Petco differ from PetsMart in regards of what lines of crates they offer, grooming supply, lines of food they carry and so forth.

When I approached the window with my daughter we saw very docile and older dog on the medium height table (he was kind of chow mix). He was laying peacefully on his tummy and she was in the middle of clipping his shoulder area. He was NOT washed or combed and clipper left VERY chompy "result" so she got upset, I guess. She threw clipper on the side and without any warning pulled at his leash to make him jump of the table. Poor dog did not even had a chance to get up and she pulled him of the table : ((( . He plopped down on his belly : ((( with his hind feet slipping to one side : ((( - both of us gasped "OUCH" !!!! It must have hurt old dog A LOT ! She never even slowed down and dragged him through the door to some other area - probably to give him a bath which she should have done FIRST to begin with IMO.

We just stood there speechless and my daughter whispered: " We know where we will NOT bring our dog for grooming "!

We waited for a while to see if the owner will appear so we can tell her , but after half of an hour we had to leave ...

Now that I know that even worse things happen :wacko:- I am even more determined to learn my own basic grooming and to do what Harley planes to do - I will stay at groomer's until my dog is done .

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I precut double coated breeds and most dogs recieving anything shorter than a #4 blade. there is less coat to wash, less coat to dry, and its easier to get the dog cleaned right down to the skin.

but jeeze- the dog was yanked off the table? I dint even let my personal dogs jump off tables, and they are young! poor dude

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wishpoo, thought the groomer you saw could have treated the dog a lot better than she did.. it's common to shave some dogs before the bath. Long haired breeds or matted dogs that are getting a shave down are commonly shaved first to decrease dry time and give a smoother finish.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh - OK , I did not know that ! Thanks for letting me know :)

But now I am even more confused why she was so frustrated and angry and let her steam pour on the poor old dog that was just laying there nicely waiting for a groom :smow: :wacko: : ((((

·
Registered
681 Posts
Our shar-pei mix goes for a bath and blow and has the sweetest groomer. I recommend her to everyone. She truly cares about the animals, she even gave Midge a Christmas present when I took her in the day before Christmas Eve to get cleaned up for Christmas. She's the best groomer we've ever come across and are SOOOO happy to have gotten her. Midge has stranger anxiety, and warmed up to this woman very quickly.
Our breeder does our poodle, so I have no worries, since he was her baby first :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree it should be regulated, I groom my own dogs as I witnessed the groomer I was using hit someone's poodle in the head with a brush. I told the owner and he just blew me off, my word against hers. My son is in hairdressing school and they need to complete 1500 hours of schooling and be tested to work on people, yet in Connecticut, you can groom with no schooling or testing. It does not seem right!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts