Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dog show yesterday to watch my husband show our PWD pup and I was soooo regretting I couldn't show Kala. I had her entered for this show and then cancelled the entry right before it closed because I didn't feel good about Kala's coat. Her topknot wasn't long enough, mats, etc. Well, I clipped her down after that(including her topknot because it just would not grow with the other pup destroying it every 5 minutes). Now, I wish I could water her like a chiapet and grow the hair back in time for the next show in August. I am not worried about having Tina Turner hair because there is really only 1 other dog competing, but it just looked fun to be out there and get experience in the ring. Any tips on growing her coat back out quickly?(besides keeping our other pup from tearing it out)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I had to totally shave down Sabrina at one point and regrow her out. It can be done in about a year. Did you shave her ears though?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to totally shave down Sabrina at one point and regrow her out. It can be done in about a year. Did you shave her ears though?
I didn't completely shave her, but I did hack at the top knot and bottoms of the ears. The matting was just unbelievable. I do have a lady that has several champion poodles that offered to help me yesterday, so if I can get her hair back and maintain it, then she could clip her for a show. Please excuse her horrible pic attached but she is my first poodle so I am a "learning" groomer. From now on, I just plan to let everything grow(except fft) and do my best to keep the mats out. Her topknot is all but shaved, but to be honest it wasn't all that long to begin with. What do you think?
KalaTrimat10months.jpg

015.jpg
Ugh, i don't even like looking at these pics.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Take heart... I had to shave Sabrina all over with a #7 blade so you are ahead of where I was. Frankly, the biggest issue I see is how short the ears are. Everything else will grow out to show coat length in a year IF YOU MAINTAIN IT CORRECTLY.

This is going to be your challenge. The dogs can not play together EVER. You are going to have to baby that coat but you can do it! I got from a shaved down with a #7 to the picture below in 11 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is hope yet, then. She looks fantastic. Did you use any kind of "grow hair fast products"? Do you mind sharing your weekly routine to grow hair(i.e. spray/brush daily, wrap 3 times a week, etc)? I am thinking of oiling her coat down. I know there are mixed reviews but if it keeps the mats down I think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I shaved Charly down in august 09 do not regret it for one moment :p I was sick and he loved begin coat less. here are pics before and after.
I took him down with a 7 blade.
The only person who was sad about it was my groomer :S
http://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/6751-charly-going-into-continental-clip-agian-d.html

Now we are growing him out again and he grows like a weed.
I would say bath once a week and dry and brush her out and make sure there are no matts left in her coat.
Then do it all over again in next week :)
Check her coat regularly and do not use a collar on her if you can.
IF you have to use a collar use something that will not tangle the hair into one big mess.

And if she gets matts brush them out not rip them out. Use a slicker and just do it gently and try to separate the matts

I would not use oils. When you put the dog in oil it sucks up dirt and is just over all messy business.

If you are doing your job well she will grow out in no time.

Here is one more pic of Charly taken in 12.December
So you can see the difference in only 2 and half month.

And your dog is not even shave down.
And you will have to keep the other dogs away who are ripping her coat off.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
There is hope yet, then. She looks fantastic. Did you use any kind of "grow hair fast products"? Do you mind sharing your weekly routine to grow hair(i.e. spray/brush daily, wrap 3 times a week, etc)? I am thinking of oiling her coat down. I know there are mixed reviews but if it keeps the mats down I think it would be worth it.

I've never put a dog in oil, but I know people do and they get good results. As far as growing coat goes, each one is different but there is one universal truth: it takes time and elbow grease.

Thoughts.....

1. Bath once an week. Make sure you dry the dog thoroughly.
2. Learn to brush correctly. Every hair in the comb is not on the dog.
3. Blow out coat and reband at least every 3 days.
4. Understand your coat's needs.... banding vs wrapping etc.
5. DON'T LET YOUR DOG PLAY WITH OTHER DOGS!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts