Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do you know if there is a way to have a dog registered even thought he is older now? I don't think the parents were registered but I sent the breeder an email just in case...

I don't know much about registration but there is so much we cant do without it.

We cant join the poodle club, we cant join the CKC, we cant compete for the tracking titles and other titles without being registered it seems.

This is very frustrating. :(

Any information would help..

Thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
For AKC you might be able to register under the canine partners program. My mixed breed dog is considered All American! She shows in all AKC events except for conformation. Does CKC have a similar program?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For AKC you might be able to register under the canine partners program. My mixed breed dog is considered All American! She shows in all AKC events except for conformation. Does CKC have a similar program?
I'll have to take a look at that. I'll give them a call later on today or tomorrow to ask them.

What did you have to do to sign your dog up for that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I got my AKC dog 5 years ago, her parents were registered but she had a limited registration. The breeder told me that if I wanted to register her for performance then if it was before she turned a year it was slightly cheaper, maybe $35 less. There was no problem registering at 2 but I never saw the point because she was not a performance dog. If the parents are not registered, that is a bigger problem because the registration comes from the breeder who gave us papers to file with AKC if we wanted to

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
When I got my AKC dog 5 years ago, her parents were registered but she had a limited registration. The breeder told me that if I wanted to register her for performance then if it was before she turned a year it was slightly cheaper, maybe $35 less. There was no problem registering at 2 but I never saw the point because she was not a performance dog. If the parents are not registered, that is a bigger problem because the registration comes from the breeder who gave us papers to file with AKC if we wanted to
You can compete in performance events with a limited akc or ckc registration. no need for a full registration or companion dog registration

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both AKC and CKC have companion dog type registration so you can compete in all of their performance events
I LOVE this information. I'll look into it. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Mysticrealm I figured CKC had to have something equivalent to what AKC does to get registration numbers when people decide later on to register or for mixed breed dogs for a dog to compete in companion/performance events. That was so nice that you found that link. That should let you get Meek registered so you can get that TD title Tifamaroo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry if I was not clear. When I got my dog the breeder gave me papers that provided the right to register my dog with AKC as a limited registration. I did not bother because we were never going to enter her in anything that required a registration. For a limited registration it was $100 if I registered her before she was 1, and $135 after that. The right to even do a limited registration is based on the parents having been registered and the breeder providing paperwork that permitted me to register her as limited (even if I did not want to bother). She would have been 5 next month and if she were still alive and I wanted to enter her in a performance event, all I would have done is locate the papers and register her in a limited registration. If her parents had not themselves been registered under a full registration I could not have done that. My dog's parents had been fully registered with the kennel club but she was sold to me with the right (if I chose) to do a limited registration (or not bother wasting the money since she was staying a pet). The poster implied that her breeder may not have registered the parents of her dog. In which case the limited registration is not an option until her dog's parents are themselves registered with AKC and I am not sure what else would be required to do that

I am not familiar with companion registration

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Need an explanation of what AKC registration is? I think this is all of it but if I forgot something, please feel free to add to it everybody!!!

When a person buys a pure bred dog with AKC papers but has 'limited registration' that means the breeder does not give you breeding rights, and if you breed the dog, the litter will not be able to be registered. 'Full' registration means you have the right to breed the dog and the litters can be also registered. Both these type of registrations permit you to show the dog in Conformation and all other dog sports. Must not be spayed or neutered to show in the Conformation ring though! Pets NOT showing in the Conformation ring because they are spayed or neutered are still able to compete in all other venues.

In the case of an owner having a purebred dog without papers or unknown dam and sire 's registration, then that dog can only be registered through AKC's PAL Program (Purebred Alternative Listing) which will allow you to compete in all the events EXCEPT Conformation.

And then there is Akc's 'Canine Partners' registration which also allows you to enter and compete in all events EXCEPT Conformation. (Also, dogs MUST BE spayed or neutered ) This category is for mixed breed dogs.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 12 of 12 Posts