Poodle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nosework is such a great activity for those dogs that were originally bred to hunt! It might sounds ridiculous, but the 99% of family dogs need a little help and direction in how to use that strong tool that we call 'nose', but as soon as they grasp the idea they'll love the activity. The first time I tried nosework I was amazed in how my dog (who is usually very prone to get bored with repetitive tasks) was actually enjoying the game, and was even push me to perpetuate the training, by doing more and more sessions. Another amazing thing about nosework training in general is that it is a great activity to worn out all the energy in excess and to develop concentration and self esteem: smelling and following a track is in fact a very hard task for a dog that requires a lot of effort, so it's perfect for high energy pups that needs a lot exercise. A dog trainer once said to me that a high energy dog should not only be engaged fiscally, but also and foremost mentally: in fact, if the day 0 you have to keep throwing a ball at the park for 10 min in a row, before the pup gets tired, the day 10 he'll be fitter and you will need 100 mins and even more. On the other hand a training that develops also the cognitive side of dogs helps them to feel more balanced and more self confident in every situation!

Hope to hear news of your journey through this awesome activity! Let's share tips and experience!!
Nose work truly does seem to be the perfect combination of mental and physical exercise! Reggie might get tired after playing ball or going for a run, but I know he will always be tired after a few searches. (Apologies for the very late reply.)

We have our first in-person nose work class at the end of the month and I can’t wait! I would love to share stories!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nose work sounds so interesting! I hope I can find an instructor near me when the time comes :) enjoying your blog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nose work sounds so interesting! I hope I can find an instructor near me when the time comes :) enjoying your blog.
I hope you’re able to find an instructor! Reggie and I have only been doing nose work for a couple months but it is so much fun. Thank you!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts