Poodle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had both of my dogs neutered at one year of age, they recovered quickly without complications. I personally would want another vet to check and give their opinion. Hope your puppy is soon well

·
Registered
985 Posts
Does he drag legs all the time? If not probably emotional. If he always drags them I would have the vet check that out. My Omar is melodramatic and plays to the crowd. He drags his legs, refuses to walk, limps etc when he gets a vaccine. Crazy dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
It's good to hear Pushkin had fun running around with your friend's dogs. Shows when he's motivated he can indeed get up and go, what a relief!

Still just throwing out guesses (it's all I've got!). He may drag his rear legs at times because he's sore from some minimal nerve damage. (Ever had sciatica? The pain relief by changing positions can be partial or complete.) Nerves are pretty easy to damage and heal slowly, but it sounds like you're seeing progress, so hopefully it will continue until he's 100%. It's possible the position he was in on the surgical table created the issue. As for his leg dragging being emotional, I do know poodles are sensitive creatures, my own certainly is. And Pushkin's sure been through a lot in short order. Still, I'd want to rule out any physical causes to be on the safe side, as you're considering with perhaps a second opinion.

Do you have food puzzles or treat dispensing toys for him to play with at home? That might busy his mind and lift his spirits. Will he engage in interactive games with you, like hide-and-seek, or nose work games for him to sniff out hidden goodies? Again, good for the mind and the body, and your relationship. If he is emotionally stressed, establishing and keeping to a steady routine might help too. If he knows what to expect and can count on what's going to happen, he may feel more relaxed and secure. Still just throwing out random ideas, but I'll stop now.:biggrin1:

It will be so good to hear when he's well and running with glee!:vroam:

Reactions: medmom2002

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Went to another vet yesterday for a second opinion--of course, Pushkin was jumpy, hyper, playful, adorable, and appearing absolutely normal when at the office. I am beginning to believe this is emotional--because as soon as we got home he went back to his bed and could not be forced to stand or drink or do anything, including refusing to go out. Maybe he's afraid of us? I like Chagall's mom's idea of sticking with routine. We'll try that. He did go for the toy a few times--so there is definitely progress-and he ran upstairs after me to go to bed--huge progress!
We have our Family Dog Class this Saturday. Hopefully, they'll have some ideas and we'll have our perfect dog back :). Again, thanks everyone and I'll update when changes. Planning follow-up with new vet in 1 week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quick update to everyone who has helped with advice and support:
Pushkin is up and about, running, walking, happy and showing no sign of problem. I think--however funny--he was in fact scared that we were going to do something else to him. He is not yet eagerly following commands as he did before, and sleeping lots more than prior to procedure--but we'll take it--and we'll see what passage of time does to his energy and excitement. Hopefully, not a permanent hormonal change making him lazy :-( In any case, back to dog school tomorrow and hope for the best. HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
--he was in fact scared that we were going to do something else to him. QUOTE]

I have to laugh... Right after Remington was neutered, he would check to make sure everything was still there... He would lay down on his side, and lift his leg and have a good long look. Every once in a while he will give it a lick then put his leg down.. He will still look and check out everything when I am done shaving him and look at me like "Mom you left my thing-a-ma-gigger right?!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
my poodle is 11m, male. just received neuter last Fri. He was shaking and very quiet since we took him home. He was given pain killer once a day for two days. We noticed that he is not willing to walk. he will sit or lay down all day long, he lift one of his hind leg since yesterday (Mon) and pain killer was give last Sat/Sun. he don't even pee or poo outside since last night. I left him on the lawn, he will just sit, no walking. I checked his wound. The area looks blood red, but the cut looks normal. His hind legs are shaking when try to stand.
We had him for about 8 months and he was very active. Probabaly he is suffering the pain. this is 4th day.

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
my poodle is 11m, male. just received neuter last Fri. He was shaking and very quiet since we took him home. He was given pain killer once a day for two days. We noticed that he is not willing to walk. he will sit or lay down all day long, he lift one of his hind leg since yesterday (Mon) and pain killer was give last Sat/Sun. he don't even pee or poo outside since last night. I left him on the lawn, he will just sit, no walking. I checked his wound. The area looks blood red, but the cut looks normal. His hind legs are shaking when try to stand.
We had him for about 8 months and he was very active. Probabaly he is suffering the pain. this is 4th day.
you may want to start your own thread, this thread is 7 years old and also check in your own vet

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Oh! Poor boy!

Please let us know what the vet says. It does sound like he's in an awful lot of pain, which is not normal. :(

(This probably goes without saying, but do make sure he sees an experienced, well-respected vet. Low-cost spay/neuter clinics have a higher rate of complications.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
an update. on Day 3, we brought him in to the same vet. He was inspected. said there is a bit red so the vet give us two tubes of extra pain-killer/infectiion. The vet mentioned that mostly it's due to that he is under weight and looking for pity.

Sometimes we feed him the human food from the table so he does not like the dog food, either dry or wet.

I tried to make home-made with the muffin reciept: 50% ground pork, two egg, grinded oat, carrot, sweat potato and cooked bean. mixed as muffin and Baked at 350F for 50minutes.

The poodle just love it. He is so happy with the food.
Day 5, he seems to be back to normal.
Day 8th, I made another pan of muffin. he just love it and run with all day happiness.

We also try to feed him only after we finish. No matter how he begged, no food from the table.

Thank you everybody here.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
I'm so happy he's feeling better! And I love imagining him running around joyfully after his muffin. :)

Do keep trying to figure out a dog-appropriate diet for him, though. He might temporarily thrive on snacks, but vitamin and other deficiencies might creep up.

There are so many dog foods out there.

Maybe try a raw diet that you can purchase already prepared? There are also foods like Honest Kitchen that are human quality, but designed to meet a dog's nutritional needs.

We recently started adding Weruva chicken & gravy to Peggy's kibble and she devours it. It's available in Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Our dog had his neuter on Tuesday (2 days ago). He has refused to walk or stand since the procedure. I carry him out every few hours, and while outside, he limps a few steps, pees while sitting, and just stays sitting except may be a few steps. His lower body is shaking--I am assuming from pain, when trying to stand or walk. At home, he just lays down, does not even get up to eat or drink.
The vet says this could be normal since he is not a puppy. Has anyone seen this? When do we expect things to get better? Does not want to eat or play. I force him to drink, but that's about it.:afraid:
Hi there, I am going through exactly what you did now. Our Teddy, 6 months Poodle/Terrier, had the operation Wednesday & now Friday. He hasn’t walked since & stands but sits straight down, scuttles around his mat. He is on pain killers, 1/2 tablet a day. I’ve been back to the Vet yesterday & they say everything is fine, he’s just being scaredy-cat! He was so active before & is so smart, I don’t believe he’s just scared. Did your dog start walking again or was there something wrong? So worried & wish I never got it done 😢

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,
Our dog had his neuter on Tuesday (2 days ago). He has refused to walk or stand since the procedure. I carry him out every few hours, and while outside, he limps a few steps, pees while sitting, and just stays sitting except may be a few steps. His lower body is shaking--I am assuming from pain, when trying to stand or walk. At home, he just lays down, does not even get up to eat or drink.
The vet says this could be normal since he is not a puppy. Has anyone seen this? When do we expect things to get better? Does not want to eat or play. I force him to drink, but that's about it.:afraid:
No and I have older dogs neuter and they are walking and some next day tail is wagging . I would try another vet . something is wrong , unless he is so spoiled . all of mine are but never have had that problem .

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Day 5, he seems to be back to normal.
Day 8th, I made another pan of muffin. he just love it and run with all day happiness.
It's so normal to worry. If only they could tell us how they feel! Keep checking with your vet. Does the surgical site seem to be healing? Is there new redness or swelling? If you think so, can you take a picture and email it to your vet? How long has this vet been seeing your pets? Is there a history? Ask your vet if you can increase the pain med for a day but do not do that on your own

My boys were done on May 17 2017 and it was almost a week before I wrote that they seemed to have both returned to normal behavior. My smaller boy, Remo, seemed to have a bit more trouble recovering. He would take a few steps then drop his rear to the ground but was better by the 24th. It is surgery and some respond harder and take longer to recover than others.

Stay in touch with your vet.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts