Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Can anybody tell me what the difference in the offspring of a red/white Parti poodle verses a Red Abstract poodle who carries parti would be? Would the Parti simply throw more white in it's puppies?
I know genetics aren't really this simple, but just wondering if there is a general trend I could depend on.
Thanks!
-Jean

·
Registered
723 Posts
From what I understand, yes, basically you are correct.
The most common gene that causes white areas is one labeled S/sp. A single copy of sp will show small amounts of white- my Raffi's father has one sp and just had a tiny white spot, but some of his siblings were tuxedos (presumably also one sp as the mother was solid black).
Whereas a parti would be sp/sp.
So: a parti will give all offspring an sp. So all offspring are likely to have some white. If bred with a solid, you are looking at abstracts (and tuxedos). If bred with an abstract, half parti and half abstract. If bred with a parti, all parties.
An abstract will give an S or an sp to offspring. Bred with a solid, offspring will be half solid and half abstract. Bred with abstract, you would get quarter solid, quarter parti, half abstract. Bred with parti, half parti and half abstract.
Of course those are all statistical probabilities/ possibilities.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You also need to know if the abstract is a Parti factored or if just has white markings. To be a true Parti factored poodle the white also is the colour of the skin. I have a dark apricot Parti factored poodle. Her white markings are her skin colour also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts