Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that someone was using Pantene Red Expressions on their red standard poodles, so I just bought some (it was on a really good sale!)
Has anyone tried this? Is it a really bad idea? I'm second guessing myself now :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've tried them all!!! I found the best off-the-shelf is Burnished Bronze shampoo. Actually, I've made my own that is better then anything on the market, it's natural and is more in-line to the REAL red color and not some pinky red additives. I plan to pitch it to a grooming company.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Maybe I'm a "believe everything I read" kinda gal, but I thought I heard you weren't supposed to use human shampoo on dogs as the PH is different and it could cause problems with the dog's skin... Am I all wet??

I know that Chris Christiansen has red on red shampoo but it's waaaaay more expensive than Pantene (16 oz is $17!!)

http://www.chrissystems.com/whiteon.htm

I'll be watching this thread with interest!! :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid 3.49 ea for the shampoo and conditioner ... reg price is 8.49 according to the store I was shopping at.

I was actually told by a groomer to use Pantene products, or anything that has silicone in it! Who knows if that's good advice or not, thats why I thought I'd ask here...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried them all!!! I found the best off-the-shelf is Burnished Bronze shampoo. Actually, I've made my own that is better then anything on the market, it's natural and is more in-line to the REAL red color and not some pinky red additives. I plan to pitch it to a grooming company.
Can you send me some? I would love to try it! let me know how much $.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Maybe I'm a "believe everything I read" kinda gal, but I thought I heard you weren't supposed to use human shampoo on dogs as the PH is different and it could cause problems with the dog's skin... Am I all wet??

I know that Chris Christiansen has red on red shampoo but it's waaaaay more expensive than Pantene (16 oz is $17!!)

I think with some it might be the case but not with all. Just look at ingredients and you will see that many of these dog shampoos have same ingredients as human ones. I read PH is nothing to be concerned with.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think with some it might be the case but not with all. Just look at ingredients and you will see that many of these dog shampoos have same ingredients as human ones. I read PH is nothing to be concerned with.
I agree Kpoos ! I love the burnished bronze I have used it for years, especially for the puppies as it is very gentle and no tears... But my all time favorite for the setters was Therma Silk smelled great and worked wonders. I love the human shampoos.. I tried the Pantene as well...Right now I am using the Herbal Esssence !

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

I have the chris stuff u need to mix it because the red is to brown i think ? Let me look at mine when I get home. I think my sister and I mixed the black with the red and it works really well. the only down size to this stuff is, it takes out the natural white shine on a hair shaft ( I hope that makes sense)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the Red on Red, Black on Black and Gold on Gold. They really dull the coat and the red on red is to PINK even with mixing it in with the black and gold as recommended.

Heather, PM me with your address and I'll send you a small bottle to try. I think you'll really like it!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
in aussiesweuse a lot of horse shampoos (and the PH thingsorta isa crock- as your water willhave different Ph tobeginwith )

they come in a bunch of different colors

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Would red shampoo be okay to use on an apricot like Teddy?

As an aside about human shampoo vs. dog shampoo, when I was younger, I used to bathe my dogs in whatever was handy. I found that Johnson's Baby Shampoo worked well for killing fleas. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
LOL, Ok so now I want to know what would you use for Silver??!!:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Would red shampoo be okay to use on an apricot like Teddy?

As an aside about human shampoo vs. dog shampoo, when I was younger, I used to bathe my dogs in whatever was handy. I found that Johnson's Baby Shampoo worked well for killing fleas. :)
Yeah good question~

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
LOL, Ok so now I want to know what would you use for Silver??!!:)
What's the goal with silver, brighter or darker?
For Brighter find a product with phytargent, it acts to naturally brighten silver pigments and whiten gray hair.
For Darker you can use the blackening shampoos. For natural ways to color enhance blacks and blues use indigo and black henna.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:
FYI- thestars sent me some of the Red Shampoo that she makes, and I had the opportunity to use it on Rogan yesterday. Just thought I would let you all know that I love it! It has a very mild smell, which I love (I hate strong smelling products), it seemed to rinse out much easier then other things I've used, and the color, well it did really enhance the color without changing it or leaving the pink highlights like the Pantene does! Rogan looks more "even colored" today if that makes sense... he was a little faded on his tips from the sun and now he looks more all one color!! It's totally cool! I also used the Red/Brown conditioner from Cherry Brooke http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/343172/catid/216/vname/All_Systems_Color_Conditioners which thestars was nice enough to get for me and send to me as well (whoohoo no duty!) and I am eternally grateful!! How nice is this person I've never even met!?! :good: Poodle people are pretty darn cool! Anyway, she mentioned that every time I use the shampoo the color will get a little deeper...I feel like bathing him again today just to see! lol but I won't, too much work!
Thanks so much for letting me try your product, just make sure when you market it, PLEASE make it available in Canada!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thank you very much for your accolades, *heather*, it is very much appreciated. If it isn't marketed in Canada, I'll be sure to send you a supply!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are at least 6 major companies that sell dog shampoo based on the color of the dog. Tropiclean, Oster, Laube, Isle of Dog, Plush Puppy, to name a few. They WILL stain. I wanted to make black dogs look blacker and richer. They product stained the plastic bottles I mixed it it. It works by opening the hair shaft up, releasing the dirt and allowing a tiny portion of color to fill the "pores". If you use it consistently it does make a difference, primarily in dogs who are losing color, such as a 12 year old or so. If you want really vibrant reds and rich browns and golds, Pet Esthe has THE bet product line http://www.petesthe.com/en/colorrest_en.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts