Poodle Forum banner

Silver or Red?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I found two breeders that I am looking to get a puppy from: Lido for a red standard puppy and Lakeview for a silver standard puppy. I love both colors 馃グ

Is there anything you can tell me to help me decide or simply what would be your preference if you had to choose? Coats soft or hard, ease of grooming, temperament, activity level, intelligence, color fading experiences, really ANYTHING.

I know I鈥檒l love either one. Thanks for your help, opinions and experiences!

Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
Both馃榿
We have a red tpoo and a blue spoo pup.
On the serious side. Health, conformation and temperament. Colour is just the icing. When you expect your dog to live up til 15 years, then a sound dog is most important.
Looking forward to seeing your pup.

Registered
Maybe you already know this but are you prepared for your puppy to clear/fade and potentially change color completely? If, for example, you get a dark red puppy and in year or two it is a lighter apricot will you be happy? If not I would swing toward the silver because at least silver won't go away as noticeably. Good luck!!!

Registered
If you don't know if you'll be happy if the pup clears to a different color than you expect, I'd go with the silver. When I went on my Poodle search I developed taste for certain colors & others I wasn't so crazy about. Nothing wrong with them, just not my choice of color. Among my 'no' list was blue & some other colors like red. What do I currently have? My black & white parti cleared to blue & white parti (oh yes, I wanted a female... Mr. Layne is def not a girl) & my female is a sable which AKC has decided to register as red. Lady M is only 6 months so too soon to tell what color she will finish but Mr. Layne is as blue as a dog can get &... I LOVE IT. And now reds have grown on me so long as they have good pigmentation. No bad color of Poodle so long as you get from a good breeder & the temperament is correct :)

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
my female is a sable which AKC has decided to register as red.
Simon's dam is sable, and she's registered as black and cream. It would be nice if they had color codes for the "non-standard" colors like sable and brindle. For Great Danes, they have a plethora of "non-standard" colors that cover just about every color combination Danes come in, despite them being conformation DQ, like Merliquin and Fawniquin.

Reactions: Minie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I found two breeders that I am looking to get a puppy from: Lido for a red standard puppy and Lakeview for a silver standard puppy. I love both colors 馃グ

Is there anything you can tell me to help me decide or simply what would be your preference if you had to choose? Coats soft or hard, ease of grooming, temperament, activity level, intelligence, color fading experiences, really ANYTHING.

I know I鈥檒l love either one. Thanks for your help, opinions and experiences!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe you already know this but are you prepared for your puppy to clear/fade and potentially change color completely? If, for example, you get a dark red puppy and in year or two it is a lighter apricot will you be happy? If not I would swing toward the silver because at least silver won't go away as noticeably. Good luck!!!
I think they are cute when they lighten as well. Thanks for the help!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't know if you'll be happy if the pup clears to a different color than you expect, I'd go with the silver. When I went on my Poodle search I developed taste for certain colors & others I wasn't so crazy about. Nothing wrong with them, just not my choice of color. Among my 'no' list was blue & some other colors like red. What do I currently have? My black & white parti cleared to blue & white parti (oh yes, I wanted a female... Mr. Layne is def not a girl) & my female is a sable which AKC has decided to register as red. Lady M is only 6 months so too soon to tell what color she will finish but Mr. Layne is as blue as a dog can get &... I LOVE IT. And now reds have grown on me so long as they have good pigmentation. No bad color of Poodle so long as you get from a good breeder & the temperament is correct :)
haha seems like they chose you! thanks so much :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts