Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and after reading some of the prior posts, am almost afraid to say anything. But... We are planning on purchasing a Fox Red standard poodle but our friend and dog trainer said the dogs with red color are all a little "loopy" in her estimation. When I quizzed her further she said they are more hyper, bark more and are less intelligent. Something about the genes and alleles? Anyway, does anyone have a comment or info regarding color and disposition? Thanks a bunch:)
mpoorbaugh

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haven't had any experience with that, but many people say that light-colored poodles tend to be a bit more hyper than brown or black. If reds are more hyper than other colors, I would guess that the reason is the breeders focused more on achieving good coloring than good temperament; which is likely since I believe the red color was only recently introduced to Standards (correct me if I'm wrong). I doubt it is the color itself that causes "loopyness", but the breeding.
I once found the website of a breeder in Vermont that breeds reds with an emphasis on good temperament; unfortunately I cannot remember her name.
Does this help at all?

And why were you afraid of posting? We're really very friendly. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
our friend and dog trainer said the dogs with red color are all a little "loopy" in her estimation. When I quizzed her further she said they are more hyper, bark more and are less intelligent.
Uh oh....I've recently put down a deposit on a red pup, only because my favorite color is red. I never would've thought that color would affect temperament. This should be interesting........:)
V

·
Registered
163 Posts
No, color does not affect temperament. The dogs that were bred and their personalities as well as how the pups are raised (both by the breeder and by you) are ultimately going to decide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, color does not affect temperament. The dogs that were bred and their personalities as well as how the pups are raised (both by the breeder and by you) are ultimately going to decide.
That makes more sense to me!
V

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a light apricot that has the BEST temperament. I usually do my own grooming but after throwing out my back at an agility trial I had to take Albert to a groomer. She was a standard breeder. She told me apricots are usually loopy. I told her not my Albert. He has two agility titles, and a very calm temperament. Albert comes from an agility breeder that also did therapy work. I don't think the color affects the temperament. The temperaments of the ancestors affect the temperament. BTW, when I picked up Albert from the groomer she couldn't stop complimenting him.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I believe this rumor came about because of the "Red Rage Syndrome" they say happens in American Cocker Spaniels.

The temperament of the animal has nothing to do with color in any breed.

I know right now "red" Standard poodles are a fad and I know of some breeders who dyed puppies coats to make more "red". When choosing a dog do so on it temperament not its coat color ;)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Aww, don't be afraid to say anything! People can come off harsh,
but sometimes it educates you more in the end. ;)

Good luck finding your perfect poodle!:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know about standards but my friend has 4 or 5 red and apricot toy poodles and each has a different temperement. They are all being handled and interacted with in the same way. The difference, as some postings suggest, is in their breeding.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My ginger is red and she is smart as a whip! agile, amazing really! She could be a show dog but I am not into that. She is very regal too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts