Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Jaanu has been doing great. He is 10 weeks old and he definitely can be a landshark at certain points of the day. He will just keep on biting at the hands and shirt and if I am standing will bite at pants. Unfortunately some of the chew toys I bought for him are a bit too big for his mouth. We have a few but they don't always pull his attention away from his favorite human (chew-toy ;p). When I try to brush/comb he tries to get at the brush, and if I keep going and don't let him he gets very upset and tries to bite at me. What are some good chew toys/chews to redirect Jaanu's chew-frenzy and how to I get him to be better with grooming (he was so good the first day, but since he has been a bit more difficult in that regard).

Also, any advice on handling landsharking with coolness and calm? I don't freak out or anything but sometimes it does bother me a bit and I get a bit sad/frustrated with the little guy/worried about the behavior/ don't know exactly what to do in the moment to handle the situation. Should I let him mouth me a bit or will that become a habit etc?

To clarify, he is a total sweetheart and I love him to bits. It's just that this aspect of him is definitely a bit tricky to deal with. I am so thankful for any advice you may have.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Ahhh yes, landshark phase :). Mine were a bit over 4 months old when I wrote in my Puppy Journal that they were getting less bitey, except for when playing or got excited.

Some folks allow soft mouthing and some are strict no mouth on humans. I'm in the soft mouthing is ok camp. I kept chew toys pretty handy all over the area they were allowed in, to trade out for my fingers. To this day, Neo will still run grab a toy and put it in his mouth when he gets excited, rather than mouth us.

The recommended technique is to allow whatever level of mouthing you decide but as soon as Jaanu crosses that line, whatever you're doing with him, turn your back and step away or out of the room if you can, for just 30 seconds or a minute. You get a lot of short burst exercise this way, lol, but it's what the mom and littermates do. Jaanu crosses the line, fun (you) goes away.

For chew toys, the puppy level Kong toys worked wonderfully for us, and I also gave puppy Nylabones. The Nylabones should always be monitored. Kongs are a bit stronger. West Paw (I think) is another well recommended brand.

For the brushing and combing, I dit it when they were tired, at the end of the day, already slightly dozy. I'd do one stroke of the brush, then one with my hand, rinse. repeat. They weren't quite sure if they were getting petted or groomed. This is also a good time to use tiny treat bits for each successful stroke. The smallest treats I found were Merrick Lil Bites which are soft, so I could break them even smaller. They're the size of my fingernail and I use a fingernail to split them into several smaller bits.

I also used Bitter Apple spray which doesn't work for all pups but did for us. You can spray it on your hands, on the combs and brushes. It works thru taste, and I can't say that i'd ever noticed any odor with it, so you can spray as needed.

Reactions: RM<3Jaanu

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh yes, landshark phase :). Mine were a bit over 4 months old when I wrote in my Puppy Journal that they were getting less bitey, except for when playing or got excited.

Some folks allow soft mouthing and some are strict no mouth on humans. I'm in the soft mouthing is ok camp. I kept chew toys pretty handy all over the area they were allowed in, to trade out for my fingers. To this day, Neo will still run grab a toy and put it in his mouth when he gets excited, rather than mouth us.

The recommended technique is to allow whatever level of mouthing you decide but as soon as Jaanu crosses that line, whatever you're doing with him, turn your back and step away or out of the room if you can, for just 30 seconds or a minute. You get a lot of short burst exercise this way, lol, but it's what the mom and littermates do. Jaanu crosses the line, fun (you) goes away.

For chew toys, the puppy level Kong toys worked wonderfully for us, and I also gave puppy Nylabones. The Nylabones should always be monitored. Kongs are a bit stronger. West Paw (I think) is another well recommended brand.

For the brushing and combing, I dit it when they were tired, at the end of the day, already slightly dozy. I'd do one stroke of the brush, then one with my hand, rinse. repeat. They weren't quite sure if they were getting petted or groomed. This is also a good time to use tiny treat bits for each successful stroke. The smallest treats I found were Merrick Lil Bites which are soft, so I could break them even smaller. They're the size of my fingernail and I use a fingernail to split them into several smaller bits.

I also used Bitter Apple spray which doesn't work for all pups but did for us. You can spray it on your hands, on the combs and brushes. It works thru taste, and I can't say that i'd ever noticed any odor with it, so you can spray as needed.
Thanks so much for this detailed response. I have gone ahead and gotten him the puppy level kong toys and some nylabones (that I will supervise his time with), hopefully these are a hit. I have some west paw toys, but they are still a bit big for him.

One issue is that when I move away from him he will either grab onto my pant leg and it becomes a game of tug (might need to roll my pants up or start wearing shorts to deal with that one maybe). Another issue is that if I try to leave he will run behind me and I am not quick enough to close a door or gate without risking his safety. One idea would be to go to the couch, but then he really goes nuts trying to jump up on me. Hmmmm

Now that I have the smaller chew toys it should be easier to trade fingers and toes for those instead. I do eventually want him to be a no teeth on human skin dog, but I also want to make sure he understands how to calibrate the force of his bite so should there ever be a mishap he will not break skin with a bite.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
One issue is that when I move away from him he will either grab onto my pant leg and it becomes a game of tug (might need to roll my pants up or start wearing shorts to deal with that one maybe).

I'm usually wearing capris with ties or longer dresses, so I know that one too lol. If your movement or the movement of the fabric entices him, then stay in place but turn and keep your back to him. It's the withdrawal of attention, the temporary shunning that makes the point to them. Usually.

I do eventually want him to be a no teeth on human skin dog, but I also want to make sure he understands how to calibrate the force of his bite so should there ever be a mishap he will not break skin with a bite.
Bite inhibition is a skill that starts with mom (and dad if he's around) and any littermates. Hopefully, you'll be reinforcing what his family started teaching him early.

if you're not familiar with Dr Ian Dunbar, he's a respected trainer. Here's a link to his website, this article is Teaching Bite Inhibition. Teaching Bite Inhibition

You'll eventually want to teach the converse or being able to put your hand in their mouth, giving pills, taking that icky dead thing out of their mouth, brushing teeth, and so on.

Once you look thru that article, go to the home page Dog Star Daily and look thru the whole site, especially this pdf of After You Get Your Puppy. https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

There's a wealth of information and we're here too :).

Reactions: RM<3Jaanu

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! Yes, pulling up my pants and having a chew toy in hand when I let him out of his playpen has worked wonders! And thanks so much I really appreciate that :)

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
This is bringing back so many memories! I totally took the easy way out and stopped wearing anything enticing. My husband didn't want to "give in" and consequently had some favourite items of clothing ruined.

Moral of the story: Always take the easy way out. Lol.

I also made sure to have an abundance of toys available at all times, of all different textures. The house was quite a mess for a while there, but it was worth it. In addition to the high quality puppy Kongs (which Peggy still uses) I would buy lots of random toys I found on sale. Those were always used with supervision, so I wasn't as picky. I just needed the variety to satisfy her ever-changing puppy needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts