Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on tear staining. My pups are 8 years old and recently started having tear stains. Nothing has changed in their diets. Strange but both started around the same time. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Zeke had horrible tear staining after I got him. The vet recommended the following soft treat. I believe I only gave him 2 treats a day for the recommended 45 days and then stopped. I’ve never had to use it again. I don’t know exactly how it works, but after about 20 days I noticed it wasn’t building up any longer so had him groomed. For about another week he got just a little buildup and then it just stopped. Hopefully something like this will work for you. It doesn’t have to be bought from a vet although it can be.

Tear Stain Soft Treat on Amazon

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
If it has started suddenly at 8 years old, and there have been no changes in their diet, I would suspect either that the formulation of the food you give them has changed or something has changed in their environment - new carpets? Cleaning products? Increased dust from building work? I would get them checked by your vet just in case it is teeth or a mild infection.

When Sophy had tear stains as a pup I had most success keeping the area under the eyes clean and dry. Fo poodles that means clean shaven faces and gently wiping with a warm damp cloth several times a day, then drying.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Zeke had horrible tear staining after I got him. The vet recommended the following soft treat. I believe I only gave him 2 treats a day for the recommended 45 days and then stopped. I’ve never had to use it again. I don’t know exactly how it works, but after about 20 days I noticed it wasn’t building up any longer so had him groomed. For about another week he got just a little buildup and then it just stopped. Hopefully something like this will work for you. It doesn’t have to be bought from a vet although it can be.

I just started this too, different brand not sure yet if its working or not. I'm thinking not but it hasn't even been a week so.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They’ve been on acana since they were pups. I did try 1/2 a bag of taste of the wild and went back to acana. But that’s been months so I don’t think it would be due to that. I wonder if it being processed in USA has anything to do with it. Like the formulation might have changed or something

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I should switch brands to try. My pups are super picky. Any brand your guys recommend?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I swear by Proviable Forte (not the DC version) that's available only from vets. I didn't think Gilligan had stomach issues, but apparently he did. The vet tech, after seeing his horrible tear stains, said people had reported after giving Proviable for stomach issues tear stains disappeared.

They were right. After about 4-5 weeks of giving it to him, the tear stains went away and have not come back. He only has normal tearing now that washes off.

After giving it some thought, he obviously did have a "bad" stomach. When we brought him home he had giardia and was treated once. It was spring, and he kept eating those yellow oak flowers that hang from the trees. After each one he would just lie there and I would hear his stomach gurgling until I realize this happened after he ate one. Then he was neutered and got antibiotics.

So his stomach was never right... until Proviable. A bonus was that he stopped being so fussy and started eating much better. He now asks for his dinner, when before he would just snort at it.

It's on the pricey side, but I don't care. His tear stains were really terrible, and so bad I called his breeder to ask about it and was told his dogs generally don't get tear stains.

·
Registered
755 Posts

I read someone's recommendation of Tear Stain Soft Treat here and have been trying it on our puppy. In just two weeks they've lessened so it seems promising.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts