Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give Molly Proviable when she is having loose poo but don't give it regularly since the Purina Pro Plan has probiotics in it (so they say) I wonder if I should be giving her (and maybe Callie) probiotics daily? What is everyone else doing?
Anyone recommend a good brand at a reasonable price? I find the proviable to be rather expensive to give on a daily basis. It is what the vet dispenses, however I buy from Amazon at a much more reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Peggy's poops have always been good, but she vomited the first few days after we brought her home. Once she was settled in and eating well, I put her on Thorne canine probiotics for a few months. She tolerated them beautifully, but we did start very slowly, building up from small doses and watching for side effects, such as bloating.

We purchased directly through Thorne, but another company ("Thorne Vet") has now taken over their pet line:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I give my spoo plain kefir as a topping for her kibble when I remember, at least 3-4 times per week, or whenever I eat it as a snack. I do notice a difference in her digestion when she eats it regularly. Kefir typically has significantly more diverse bacteria than yoghurt, and I like the taste better too.

I'm personally a bit skeptical about probiotic supplements in pill form. As for kibble - unless the probiotics are added AFTER high heat processing, I'm also skeptical as to how they survive.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is what I'm using for a probiotic: VetriScience Probiotic Everyday Gastrointestinal Health Bite-Sized Dog Soft Chews. I am experimenting with these for my two older dogs who occasionally have stomach upsets. I am not positive that they accomplish much, but it seems worth a try.

I once happily told my vet I was putting a dab of yogurt on my dog's food. The vet replied that the type of probiotics dogs benefit from are different than what is beneficial to humans. I have seen no research supporting this assertion, but I would be very interested if anyone knows of such research.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I give Molly Proviable when she is having loose poo but don't give it regularly since the Purina Pro Plan has probiotics in it (so they say) I wonder if I should be giving her (and maybe Callie) probiotics daily? What is everyone else doing?
Anyone recommend a good brand at a reasonable price? I find the proviable to be rather expensive to give on a daily basis. It is what the vet dispenses, however I buy from Amazon at a much more reasonable price.
I've used Fortiflora for years for my dogs when they need probiotics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are looking for some guidelines, please check out the link below.

We checked various sources and came to conclusion that the most expensive probiotics not necessary the best, so we settled on “Essential Pet” Probiotics Direct Fed Microorganisms, 90 capsules- ~ $19.00 at Pet Smart, however, should you find a cheaper price online or elsewhere ( and show them at check out, they’ll match the price.
Sasha ( st. poodle) is ~52lbs, so she gets 1capsule w/food 2/day.
When she needs antibiotic for diarrhea, our vet said to increase the dose to 1/capsule, 3/day with food.
Plus, she gets couple of table spoons of 0% fat, plain, Greek yogurt in the evening. This combination seems to do the trick.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Goats milk from Answers is wonderful. Homemade bone broth. Love Bugs from Adored Beast. I feed a raw diet which is already rich in pre and probiotics so I only supplement on occasion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I swear by Proviable Forte - which is only sold by vets. Proviable DC is what you can buy almost everywhere.

My vet suggested we try it because other clients had it prescribed for stomach issues and discovered the tear stains disappeared. I tried it. After about 5 weeks of daily use the tear stains were gone and still are gone. A bonus was that he started eating better and more regularly.

I won't go a day without it. I don't care what it costs (in my area it's $42 for 45 pills).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I give mine a bit of kefir (the same organic kind that we eat). Sometimes it’s drizzled over her food, other times it’s in the form of a frozen treat (I freeze kefir with a variety of different berries in ice cube trays and then just bag them) that is either crushed over her food or given plain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts