Poodle Forum banner

Recommendations for Online Training Programs?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FloofyPoodle 
#1 ·
Hello!

I've been a long time lurker but recently made an account as the date where my new puppy comes home is getting closer and closer (Sept 17th is poodle day). With quarantine and stay at home orders in place in my area, many puppy kindergarten classes have been cancelled with no sign of them re-opening any time soon. When I originally placed my deposit for my new bundle of joy back in April or March, I had naively thought that stay at home orders would be lifted by the end of September or beginning of October (as I'm sure other quarantine puppy owners did as well) but that is not the case unfortunately. However, I don't want the lack of in-person training classes to stand in the way of getting the new puppy off to a good start.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for any online training programs? I've signed up for the 30 day training program with Zak George through Pupford which seems like it should provide a pretty solid base for the first 30 days (and it's free so why not, right?). It looks like it covers Leave it, Sit, Up, Down, Crate Training, Potty Training, Stay, Common Puppy Behaviors (Chewing, Biting, Jumping), and Come When Called.

However, I'm also looking for a program that may be more comprehensive and cover things like loose leash walking, socialization/desensitization tips and guidelines, resource guarding prevention, etc. either to use along side of the 30 day program or to use after the 30 day program is complete. I've seen ads for SpiritDog Training and absoluteDogs and am wondering if anyone has tried these and had success? Or would recommend a different program that worked for them?

Thanks in advance for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! September 17th will be here before you know it. :)

I recently discovered Spirit Dog through our trainer, and they've got a new online puppy program:

I'm currently enrolled in three Spirit Dog courses: Basic Obedience, Loose Leash Walking, and Tackling Reactivity. And their daily Facebook posts are also super helpful.

I also like Ian Dunbar's online resources:

And of course his puppy books are essential reading:

I prefer having a hard copy, but they're also available online as free PDFs:

Now's the best time to do this reading, as you'll get some good idea for supplies you might need and routines you'd like to establish from day 1.

#3 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for any online training programs? I've signed up for the 30 day training program with Zak George through Pupford which seems like it should provide a pretty solid base for the first 30 days (and it's free so why not, right?). It looks like it covers Leave it, Sit, Up, Down, Crate Training, Potty Training, Stay, Common Puppy Behaviors (Chewing, Biting, Jumping), and Come When Called.
I did that one with both dogs, and it was quite fun. Of course, they weren’t perfectly trained at the end (which would take years, rather than a single month), but it did help set a good foundation for us to climb on.

I second PTP’s suggestion of Ian Dunbar. He’s got some good stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.