Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were going to be getting a new standard poodle (puppy) and had no grooming supplies, what kind/how many brushes would you buy? What other supplies related to grooming would you like to have ahead of time? And how might that change as the dog grows? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Well Renn is 10 months and all along I have bought things that will be appropriate for him as a grown standard. I also use a groomer though I plan to dabble a bit in-between once he has good manners. I don't have a clue what I'm doing when it come to grooming other than bruising and coming out so I don't want to give him bad habits on the table. I guess I am trying to let the "groomer" train the grooming. or try too. lol

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Your 'basics' are a pin brush, a slicker brush, and a metal comb. The extras are a high velocity dryer and a grooming table .................Also a copy of this book......it'll tell you what you need and how to care for your poodles coat!

P.S. Don't forget nail clippers & a file or Dremel, and Quik-Stop!:biggrin1:

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
The only thing I had use for with my new puppy was the metal comb.
Now finally at 6 months I’m finding out what a brush is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I comb before and between baths and mostly use a brush when blow drying. And I don't use slicker brushes just that pin brush.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you are going to let your poodle's coat grow more than about an inch long you will need a pin brush, a slicker brush and a comb. If you keep the coat short, you will not need the pin brush. I suggest you not buy these at the local pet store - order from Amazon for better quality. Members here have already suggested some quality brushes and combs. (I use Chris Christensen pin brushes, Safari slickers (with tipped pins to prevent scratching the skin), and Greyhound or Chris Christensen combs).

A grooming table is worth every penny you spend on it - they cost about $100, but you might find one for much less.

A dog dryer is another good investment. I have both a stand dryer and a force dryer, but use the stand dryer most of the time. If this is a standard poo, the force dryer makes drying go much, much faster.

Molly gave you an excellent list - complete with pictures.

When you get brave, you can even learn to clip and scissor!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts