Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking to get a toy poodle next year.
This would be my first poodle but not my first dog.
If anyone could recommend a toy poodle breeder in Scotland/England that would be great. I will still do lots of personal research on any breeder that is recommended.

I would love a silver but nothing matters more to me than health and temperament.

I am looking now as I would like to get to know the breeder well and hopefully meet their dogs.

I have been keeping a watch on the kc breeders assured scheme but they have none listed in Scotland.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Laura.

Registered
Hi Laura, welcome 馃槉. Members Fjm and Vee are both in the UK - England - I believe. Hopefully they'll see your post and be able to offer suggestions.
Looking forward to seeing your new pup in the not too distant future.

Registered
A new member in the UK recently found some breeders on the site I'll link below. Health testing of the breeding parents is an important factor and this site leans toward that type of conscientious breeder. I think one or both of the UK members mentioned confirmed that it's a good site to find a good breeder.

Registered
Hi Laura and welcome!
Your going the right way about it looking for a breeder first. I don鈥檛 have any recommendations for toy breeders as I have a mini.
Yes definitely try champ dogs.
There is a breeder section, you can get in touch with breeders, find out about them and their dogs. Champ dogs is for kennel club registered dogs and most are health tested. I think in these times this is the best approach as good breeders aren鈥檛 breeding at the moment so most ads are from bybs and they are grossly overpriced.
Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you got all the helpful replies. I have had a look on champion dogs and found a breeder.

I will spend a few days looking into them but one thing that I wasn鈥檛 sure about is that there is only one health test verified on the web page?

also the dog shown in the picture, do you think it is still clearing or do some show poodles have brown on the ears? Not that is matters if it鈥檚 health, I鈥檓 just curious 馃檪 and want to learn as much as I can.

Registered
The Kennel Club Puppy Finder and list of assured breeders is another good starting place. The KC also explains the various health tests needed for the parents: Poodle (Toy)

If you identify a few breeders who meet your criteria and contact them to start a discussion they may well be able to recommend others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The Kennel Club Puppy Finder and list of assured breeders is another good starting place. The KC also explains the various health tests needed for the parents: Poodle (Toy)

If you identify a few breeders who meet your criteria and contact them to start a discussion they may well be able to recommend others.
Thank you, I had already tried the kc puppy finder and there was no breeders in Scotland and very few in England.

since asking in this forum I found the first breeder that I am going to research. I have asked questions on the comments of this discussion but should I have stated a new thread?

Registered
The kennel club only advise PRA and eye testing, with just those they would be 鈥渉ealth tested鈥. You will find some breeders test further but always check.

There are additional tests that can be done.
I would ask breeders if they have done these test some may have certificates for these even if they are not published on the site.

The dog in the link; It does look like he is young there so probably cleared more after. Silvers clear differently and some are lighter than others.

I can recommend a very good miniature breeder who breeds silvers

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The kennel club only advise PRA and eye testing, with just those they would be 鈥渉ealth tested鈥. You will find some breeders test further but always check.

There are additional tests that can be done.
I would ask breeders if they have done these test some may have certificates for these even if they are not published on the site.

The dog in the link; It does look like he is young there so probably cleared more after. Silvers clear differently and some are lighter than others.

I can recommend a very good miniature breeder who breeds silvers
Yes if you could recommend the mini breeder I would really appreciate it. Although I have not done as much research on health testing for mini鈥檚 but il start now just incase 馃槉

Registered
I have not done as much research on health testing for mini鈥檚 but il start now just incase 馃槉
I can't say positively that the OFA and VIP information and standards are international (I'll check on that later) but the testing standards that I'm familiar with are from those entities. Not all breeders pay the small fees to list their testing results on OFA so you'll need to verify results on the testing lab's site. The links to OFA and VIP are in the Geographical Breeders List sticky thread but I'll place them and a couple more here also.

Something to remember is that some breeders may not do "full" testing because the sire or dam are cleared by parentage. That conditional clearance is valid for one generation only due to the potential for mutations. As I'm compiling this list, researching the testing being done, many toy breeders in the US seem to only be doing PRA. The separate CAER testing is supposed to be annually.

Toy Minimum Testing Criteria
prcd Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA testing from an approved laboratory
Eye clearance by the Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER)
Patellar Luxation OFA evaluation

Miniature Minimum Testing Criteria
prcd Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA testing from an approved laboratory
Eye clearance by the Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER)
Hip Dysplasia evaluation from an approved agency
Patellar Luxation OFA evaluation

OFA Lookup - by name or registry number - Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Poodle Health Registry database

Versatility In Poodles
Its primary purpose is to improve the health and promote the many talents of this remarkable breed.

Registered
You would find it very hard to find minis and toys with patellas and hips tested in the UK.
here some on the DNA tests.
Eye tests are also required

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I really want the best as far as health tests and I really don鈥檛 care if I have to travel further to get it, my only concern would be expecting a young puppy to cope with a long travel and so for the welfare of the puppy the closer the better.

I would like to have the option to show. I have experienced in obedience and some in agility but I would like to try ringcraft, more for fun and the experience. Although if the pup doesn鈥檛 not like it my main priority is a new family member not a show dog.

Thank you all for the links I鈥檓 workI got my way through them 馃檪

1 - 14 of 14 Posts