Poodle Forum banner

Recommend a super quiet dryer please!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BFF 
Is Cricket the puppy? Don't return another dryer. You can accustom them to the sound this way.

Turn the dryer on but put the hose on the floor with a weight on it (Something that will hold it down to keep it from flopping wildly). Just talk gently while combing an ear or tail. Put the nozzle between your kees after 3-4 minutes....keep brushing the damp fur...do this while she is on the table and HOOKED up or she will flail and fall off. THAT is what sets panic into them. The sound of the drier will become like "white noise" or background sound. If she is still annoyed....put her in a crate and leave that dryer run for about 15 minutes. The longer its on (while you a acting totally normal) the better it will be. The key point is this: If its nothing to you, if you act oblivious, whe will take her cues from you. I DON"T want you to keep repeating "Its OK, that bad old dryer isn't gonna attack you!" If you do that, you might as well forget this process. I'm telling you, it works on even the scarest dogs. Be like Ceasar Milan....CALM but Assertive. Don't give in to your dog's fears...you feeding the fear. I want you to OVERCOME the fear.

For quiet dryers than handle a poodles thick coat, try a Romani. They are pricey...but the cheap ones are the whiniest, loudest ones. Its that high pitched whine like a vaccuum that dogs object to. But I'd like you to try the calm assertive method EVERY single time you do anything your dog is objecting to...such as nail trims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.