Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleo has taken to rock-collecting, that is, carrying them around the yard, licking them, etc. She is 5 months old and has many of her adult teeth. I have resisted giving her bones to chew, b/c the vet said nothing raw until she's one year old. She likes \ meat and rice chews by Earth Animal ("No-hide") a whole lot, but they're not as hard as bones (or rocks...). She had some stomach problems earlier, so i didn't want to introduce potential raw-related bacteria, etc.

Now, her stomach is all good, and I'd like to find something that's safe to give her that seems more like a rock (besides a bully stick), that satisfies her need to chew something hard. I was thinking of himalayan chews, but i haven't tried her on dairy in a while. Is there a raw but "sterilized" beef bone option that would be safe, or something along those lines?

·
Premium Member
22,896 Posts
We give buffalo ears and Himalayan Yak Cheese. As for any chew along these lines you should be around to monitor and make sure the dog doesn't swallow a chink that is too big. Also remember a yak isn't a cow so you should equate things made from these sources as being equivalencies as dairy products.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I’d be careful about what you give Cleo to chew......you don’t want any broken teeth. My vet said if something is so hard you can’t dent it with your finger nail easily, don’t give it to your dog. I would put antlers in this not easy to dent category.

I do think it’s a serious problem that your dog carrying rocks in her mouth and licking them. We had a member here who’s dog swallowed a rock and required surgery. I would spray hot sauce on those rocks to turn your dog off this dangerous obsession. Otherwise put a muzzle on when she has access to rocks. It’s important to stop this behavior and not allow her to keep rehearsing dangerous behaviors that self reward.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I buy The Honest Kitchen dehydrated fish skins. Safe for teeth and low in calories. Not sure how long the larger and tougher (wolfish) skins last for Spoos. My girl gets the small size cod skins and it takes her about an hour to finish one.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Virbec CET Enzymatic chews...My dog chews that gone in less then 5 minutes. I have bought some nice large sized YAK Cheese bones on Amazon that take longer. and I purchased the Dentley stuffed femur bones at Petsmart. The Dentley bones take a long time to go thru plus if they get the stuffing out they still like the bones.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, these are all good suggestions! She has chews that are softer, and i think she'll like something that is closer to actual bone without being too hard (eg, antlers would be too hard at this point).

Mainly i want something safe that will seem similar to a rock, so I picked up one of the yak cheese chews, i think she'll like that. Couldn't find a bison ear nearby, but i can get online-- but i urge you to walk into your local pet supply and ask the clerk "Do you have buffalo ears?" (I am all about unintentional grammar jokes.)
Cleo loves the cod skin chews but they last about a half-hour and then weird smelly poop...and scales stuck in her hair! But it really did help us have a nice quiet dinner with relatives. :) I'll look for the Wolf fish. The CET dental chews, she definitely likes. They don't last long. I was very interested in the Smartbones, but they all seem to contain peas, which she can't tolerate.

As far as the rocks, she is not trying to actually eat them, but carries them to places in the yard and leaves them on the ground where she finds them later. And they're not small, they're all pretty large, would be hard for her to swallow. I'm more concerned about her cutting herself or chipping a tooth by accident. When i find them i collect them out of reach. Our yard is large with lots of stones around, so it's not really practical to keep her away. (Whenever i think it's becoming a problem, i distract her with another object or activity.) That's why i am looking for an alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Cleo has taken to rock-collecting, that is, carrying them around the yard, licking them, etc. She is 5 months old and has many of her adult teeth. I have resisted giving her bones to chew, b/c the vet said nothing raw until she's one year old. She likes \ meat and rice chews by Earth Animal ("No-hide") a whole lot, but they're not as hard as bones (or rocks...). She had some stomach problems earlier, so i didn't want to introduce potential raw-related bacteria, etc.

Now, her stomach is all good, and I'd like to find something that's safe to give her that seems more like a rock (besides a bully stick), that satisfies her need to chew something hard. I was thinking of himalayan chews, but i haven't tried her on dairy in a while. Is there a raw but "sterilized" beef bone option that would be safe, or something along those lines?

I give cow knees and the dogs love them. They are not as hard as a rock, but my rough chewer is kept busy for a long time, and will keep going back to it for weeks. It is baked so no problems with the tummy. They are round(ish) much like the shape of a bit bigger rock, so that might be appealing. They are not greasy. There is a type of crumbly coating around the outside as a result of being naked. My dogs find this very tasty.

You can find them on chewy.com here...

https://www.chewy.com/usa-bones-chews-beef-knee-caps-dog/dp/114644

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Cleo LOVES the yak cheese chew, and it does not seem to bother her stomach. In the evening when she is getting tired and overstimulated, but it's too early for sleep, i give it to her, and everything else in the room could disappear and she wouldn't notice! Only downside is that bits of it stick to her front legs. And after she goes to bed, I sweep the floor, and it's covered with what looks like grated parmesan!

I would like to try those cow knees, but i noticed they're cooked--is it okay to give cooked bones to a puppy? Or maybe it's cartilage, so that's ok, and if so, do they actually eat them or just chew on them?

I have tried all over looking for buffalo ears--no one around here has them, and they seem to be "out of stock" online. If anyone knows where to find them...?

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
The Yak cheese chews have been a gift from heaven around here!! Not only do they not stink, they actually have a rather pleasant smoky smell that reminds me of crisp winter nights. Peggy (who should start losing her baby teeth any day now) adores them, but not obsessively so. No guarding or burying. And she's been working on her first one for almost a week now. We got ours from Petco—a pack of 3 for $25.

Good riddance, bully sticks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,457 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Legs& Leashes21..I have had no problems with any tummy upset from himalayan yak cheese. The only thing is when they get small enough that your pup could swallow them you need to take them away. However you can wet them and microwave them, t hey then turn into a puff which the dog still enjoys eating once cooled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts