Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anybody have an idea of the most comfortable airline approved carrier for a 47 pound standard poodle.. My wife is moving to Germany and I want to make it as stress free as I can for Hexe . Thank you for any input.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
You would most likely be choosing between a 42'' and a 48'' long crate. The size is more dependent on the dog's body length and height to his shoulders than his weight. Just to give you an idea I have had poodles in that same weight range that fit comfortably in as small as a 36''', but that dog was very compact. If I was guessing, I would say a 42'', just because too big of a crate is a real logistics issue... and can be unsettling to your dog if he gets tossed around. Be sure to check with your individual airline because when flying internationally some airlines have very specific guidelines. Best of luck to you and your wife!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would most likely be choosing between a 42'' and a 48'' long crate. The size is more dependent on the dog's body length and height to his shoulders than his weight. Just to give you an idea I have had poodles in that same weight range that fit comfortably in as small as a 36''', but that dog was very compact. If I was guessing, I would say a 42'', just because too big of a crate is a real logistics issue... and can be unsettling to your dog if he gets tossed around. Be sure to check with your individual airline because when flying internationally some airlines have very specific guidelines. Best of luck to you and your wife!
Thank you so much for the information I will go on the hunt tomorrow,. You answered my question what is too big. I called the airline and all he was able to do was to offer a medium or large spot on the plane I picked the largest spot Lord knows medium would be to small for that crate . But he did know the price 310 .00 which sounds fair I think you can tell I am not a traveler.Thank you again for your response I do apreciate it . Sean

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing first, I'm not an expert but I just want to add some point based on what Charmed said above. According to the rule set by IATA (International Air Transport Association), as long as the dog can do some basic movement within the crate like, lying down, moving around, sitting, etc, then I think it will be okay. For more accurate information, maybe you can visit the official IATA website.

One brand comes in my mind might be Ruff Max or Petmate. All in all, I think, instead of a crate, maybe you should consider the health risk for dog flying in the cargo too. I recently read an article here by Dr Sara that you might need to take some precaution before flying in cargo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it depends on whether they are traveling in a pressurized area or a real cargo area. Although some of the risks would apply regardless such as the crate breaking.

I have a friend of a friend who flys with her dog domestically in the US and the dog is not a poodle but would be considered Moyen size if it were. She ended up getting a doctor to write her a prescription for a "therapy dog" for anxiety associated with air travel (apparently there are websites that do this for a fee! Who knew). The dog is allowed in the cabin as long as it can fit on her lap or sitting down in front of her. There are special rules for therapy dogs as they are not service dogs but are not always treated the same as pets either (although some airlines do treat them as pets) and the rules vary tremendously by airline. Some airlines will allow a therapy dog up to 65lbs to travel with you domestically! Others limit it to small breeds. There are more limitations internationally as well as limits on flight length so it may not matter. She only travels domestically in the US and I am sure international rules are stricter so you would need to go to the IATA rules and the particular airline.

The therapy designation is from the human's diagnosis not the dog's. So you have to demonstrate an anxiety based condition that a dog will help with. Again no idea if this can be done internationally or it is only domestic US. Personally not something I was comfortable with (had been looking at bringing home an older puppy by air which is why I had asked friend of friend how she could travel with her dog. Since I did not want to go that rooute decided to go with a different breeder that had a younger puppy that could travel in the cabin due to smaller size).

As for crates, I have not researched those but did research in cabin carriers, again domestic US only and for those it varies by airline but many say the dog must be able to turn around and stand without touching any of the sides but again this is for in cabin not cargo. Defintiely research with the IATA and your airline. My late poodle who was a small to average standard fit with room to space in her 42 inch crate for home and sleeping purposes never tried to travel with her

1 - 6 of 6 Posts