Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a reputable miniature poodle breeder, though no party poodles or teddy bear poodles, please. I live in Santa Fe, NM and would prefer somebody within 500 miles, but further afield is fine too. I'm not so concerned by appearance. What I really care about is health and temperament. thanks,.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Until others drop by with specific recommendations, I keep some links handy for folks starting their search which I'll drop below.

Not knowing your familiarity with poodles, I'm fyi'ing these 2 pieces of info. A parti is a legit purebred poodle color, just can't compete in certain AKC competitions and a "teddy bear" is not a variety of poodle but is a marketing term for a poodle with an untrimmed face,

That said, you may end up with some recommendations for breeders who also breed parti's but the "teddy bear", not so much :).

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing but you must join the group.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same cautions.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who do take the time and spend the money to prove and health test their dogs so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

Use Advanced search for breeders in your area mentioned in existing threads.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

Haven't checked the distances but Betty Brown of Donnchada in Texas, and Ash's Mystical in Nevada get recommended frequently. Mini's can be harder to find than toys or standards.

Depending on the size of mini you're hoping for, in size 10-15", or oversize (not official but 15-18" with mini's for both parents), if you're looking for the smaller end, then also consider oversize toys. They'll be from toy mom and dad but grow larger than 10" (usually up to 11", maybe a bit more).

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I don’t know if Morning Glory is within driving distance. My Babykins was bred by Morning Glory in San Antonia, Texas and Aery in North Carolina

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm looking for a reputable miniature poodle breeder, though no party poodles or teddy bear poodles, please. I live in Santa Fe, NM and would prefer somebody within 500 miles, but further afield is fine too. I'm not so concerned by appearance. What I really care about is health and temperament. thanks,.
Hi,
I act as the breeder reference person for the Enchanted Poodle Club of New Mexico. For miniature poodles I usually recommend Betty Brown or Daniel Chavez. I have a miniature from Betty Brown that I will probably breed later this year, but I still need to complete all her health testing. Betty Brown lives northwest of Houston, Texas. Daniel Chavez lives in California. There is also James Johnson in Colorado, but he primarily breeds standards.

You can email me at [email protected] for addresses, emails, and telephone numbers. I would also suggest that you attend our poodle specialty show on May 8th at the state fairgrounds in Albuquerque. All the breeders mentioned above are almost certainly going to be there so you could meet them before making a decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts