Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I saw someone give a recipe for a mixture for dogs with loose stools...and I know that rice and beef was mentioned. I think I remember something about pumkin, too. Anyhow switching Sophie's food has had bad effects on her and she is having to go #2 every 2 hours or so.

The stools smell awful but no blood or mucus...and she is restless.

I think that all the vetting (got UTD on shots, worming AND flea/heartworm meds all in one week) I had to do on her last week along with the stress has just gotten to her.

I normally make them dinner of chicken, veggies, and mixed greens...but if anyone has something better for her tummy I am willing to try!

I did give her some probiotics after her worming but I think her tummy is just so upset it didn't do to much for her.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No real recipe, you can give canned pumpkin alone. Or you can BOIL ground beef and mix it with some rice. There are quite a few other things but we always do the beef and rice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use boiled ground beef and rice but the beef is just to make them eat the rice. It is the rice that stuffs them up. Did you try starving your dog for 24 hours. That sometimes does the trick. I sometimes give them a dose of tree bark powder - slippery elm and others.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay that is what I was wanting to know...basically how to prepare it. Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use boiled ground beef and rice but the beef is just to make them eat the rice. It is the rice that stuffs them up. Did you try starving your dog for 24 hours. That sometimes does the trick. I sometimes give them a dose of tree bark powder - slippery elm and others.
No I haven't with-held food...all she has access to is dry kibble and she hasn't touched it anyway. I have NOT gave her any treats or anything like that since the loose stools started. I am just trying to plan for if she still has loose stools tomorrow...if she goes for more than 24 hours without touching the dry food then I want to have something I know she will eat, but won't hurt her tummy and cuase loose stools all over again.

It has slowed down quite a bit as in not as much volume, but I figure that is because her stomach is finally empty and hopefully the rest of her will be empty soon, too! LOL

I figure she will have tonight for her stomach to rest, then I will feed her the beef and rice in the morning. If I get a chance to run to the store tonight I might try to give her a bit of the pumpkin later on tonight.

I'll let you guys know how she is feeling!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Boil rice and ground beef together.
When rice is done and water gone,let it cool and mix in grated raw carrot.
By next day the stool should be firm.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay her stools are firmer today...but still as I am now seeing some worms again I guess she will be on the rice/beef diet for a little while!

I am wondering since its just the rice that mainly does the firming...maybe I will just add in rice from now on to their chicken, veggies and greens mix I feed them once a day.

Sophie has been eating her beef/rice/pumpkin/ and carrots mix just fine...but I was wondering if switching the chicken for beef and adding in more veggies would hurt. I don't plan on chaning anything for at least another week or so...but maybe when I do I will just keep the rice as part of their diet.

They honestly don't eat very much kibble compared to how much of the other food they eat (who would blame them?) and it is a "lamb and rice" formula...so I am thinking if I add in my own home cooked rice that is probably better than the kibble anyhow.

She seems to "feel" better...more tail wagging and less restlessness...so looks like she approves of the new diet! She still is eating I would guess about 1-2 cups of dry food per day...I would like to see her eat less of the kibble because it seems to make her poo more runny than the food I make her.

I know that makes sense because it has less additives, ect...so right now I am working on figuring out how much to feed her to keep her full and gaining a bit of weight.

I want to make sure she is eating enough, but not too much so she ends up getting the runs from over eating!

I have been making her 1/4 lb of ground beef with 1 cup of rice, 1/4 cup of pumpkin and like 2-3 baby carrots all grated up...she weighs @ 50-75 lbs.

Think I should go with more rice (say 1 1/4 cups) and see if she will lay off the kibble for a few more days?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you are seeing worms in her stool,she should see a vet.
Bring a stool sample with you...it has to be less than 24 hours old.
I think the rice/beef meals should be given until the stool firms up and than I would get her back on her usual diet.
However...unless I misread your post...if worms are present,her diarrhea likely has nothing to do with diet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are seeing worms in her stool,she should see a vet.
Bring a stool sample with you...it has to be less than 24 hours old.
I think the rice/beef meals should be given until the stool firms up and than I would get her back on her usual diet.
However...unless I misread your post...if worms are present,her diarrhea likely has nothing to do with diet.
She just saw the vet last week, took in a stool sample then...she has round, hook, and tape worms. Vet gave her a dose of Drontal plus and told me to bring her back in next week.

We both agreed that getting rid of the worms would take more than one dose...but I refuse to worm her 2 weeks in a row on top of everything else she just got. She had to get her rabies and adult booster shot, and a heartworm test (which was clear thank goodness) so she could get her dose of k9 Advantix.

My vet is not comfortable with using the advantage multi on her seeing as she is a sight hound, and I agree it could be too much. So we have to do the intestinal parasites with Drontal instead...and its going to take about 1 month to get rid of them totally. Even after the next dose my vet said she would likely pass the worms for an additional week or so...lets just say she is um...worm infested.

I have taken in enough rescues to know that loose stools is just part of getting them healthy...but I am glad you were concerned for her...many would have no idea what the worms even are!

I have talked to the vet about her loose stools and he said unless I see blood or a lot of mucous or it is VERY loose OR it goes on for longer than 2-3 days to bring her back in. So far the stools have been firmer, and I am seeing less worms then I saw the day I wormed her so I don't think I need to rush her to the vet again just yet.

Today she has been out playing in the fresh 3 inches of snow and jogging with me like she was a couple weeks ago. I think she was just ill for that few days when the worming meds really sank into her system...she is MUCH better now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts