Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old minipoo is good with recall outdoors, but inside the house he usually runs away rather than to me when called. Following advice I saw cbrand offer to another poster, I now leave the lead on indoors so I can ensure he comes when called, I then reward him with food and praise. My question is why he's better with recall outdoors rather than indoors. Do you think it's because he feels safer inside and therefore more prone to exercising his own (spunky) free will? I will now faithfully practice indoor recall many times a day until I can get him in the groove. He's the most delightful little fellow imaginable and I try not to take it personally when he scoots away from me. Another little issue we're working on...he so wants my attention when I'm on the phone he will at times attach himself to my leg and hump! (He is nuetered.) I immediately put him in a down-stay (it can take a few attempts) but he ultimately obeys. However, each time the phone rings it's a new test of wills...will he leap up or not?? I think I should pretend to be on the phone, leave his lead on, and practice and reward the down-stay over an over again. Any other advice here? Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'll post this here too....

At this age they are starting to exert their independence a bit more. Inside, he feels safe. Chances are that when you call him in the house it is often because he has to do something; something that he doesn't necessarily like to do: go to crate, get nails trimmed, etc. Outside, he is probably still a little uncertain so he sticks closer to you. Realize that the time will come where he feels confident enough outside to not heed your call. You are right to teach a solid recall now.

The trick is to always be able to enforce the recall command. Every time you call him and he doesn't come and you can't make him, it confirms in his minds that he really does not have to listen to you. I have a friend who has the top obedience Beagles in the country. Her puppies are literally NEVER off leash for the first 11 months of their lives. Even in the yard, they will drag a long, thin 20 yard line. By having a strict program in the beginning, she ensures that she has a lifetime of prompt and accurate recalls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts