Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Hi and welcome to PF. It would be best to bring your pup in to the vet to have a look. He might require some sort of treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,898 Posts
Yes, definitely see the vet. Especially since it’s a new puppy you have and don’t know his health history.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
I agree with the recommendation to see a vet. It might be the start of a hot spot. You'll want to figure out the cause (parasites, infection, allergies?) and get appropriate treatment for it. You might also need a cone to keep him from licking it. Some dogs, I had one, will keep licking until they cause an open wound and a secondary infection. When that happens the hair follicles can be damaged, leaving a permanent bald or discolored spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,253 Posts
I’d see a vet too.

A few years ago my dog was stung by a bee on her foot. I gave her 1/2 tab benedryl (the kind safe dog dogs) following my vet’s recommendation. The area immediately swelled up and I covered her foot with a sock so she couldn’t lick or chew at it. The swelling went down later that day and she didn’t lick or chew at her foot so I thought everything was fine. When I went to groom her a week or two later I was shocked to discover she had a round bald spot where the bee had stung. It slowly grew back black fur and over the next few months faded to match her silver hair. Now I cannot find where the bee stung.

if your dog was stung by a bee, this could be a temporary problem. or it could be something completely different that a vet, especially one specializing in dermatology needs to see and treat. My dog’s alopecia was completely round matching the area of swelling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
Yes what the others have already said, get her examined by a vet ASAP. I always do that when bring a new pet into my home. It could be from a sting or it even could be ring worm. You definitely want it checked out.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top