Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
What a cutie! My Freddy is an amazingly good and easy puppy - even so I am completely whacked, ready for bed by 9pm and seriously considering how to get an afternoon nap as well!

·
Super Moderator
3,728 Posts
Cute! Is he a Boston Terrier?
I feel your pain when you say you underestimated the work. I keep remembering the fluff and forgetting the work between puppies.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Adorable puppy. They are a ton of work, and it seems like it goes on forever but I promise you it gets better. When puppy sleeps through the night consistently without needing a potty break, you’ll feel so much more rested.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Boston terrier?

Basil's summer bff is a Boston terrier named Ruby <3

Just let the little one pee on the floor one night so you can get a full night sleep lol. Your in the thick of it until 6 months or so so one night off for a recharged mom...

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,015 Posts
Only a week? You're in for a spell, better stock up on coffee! Congratulations! What a cute little puppy !

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Hang in there Ava! It does get better, longer than you imagined, but when you're looking back, it's sooner than you think :)

That is one cute pupper!

·
Registered
539 Posts
What a cutie! My Freddy is an amazingly good and easy puppy - even so I am completely whacked, ready for bed by 9pm and seriously considering how to get an afternoon nap as well!
Winnie goes to bed at 9pm and I'm ready for mine too. Haven't mastered the afternoon nap yet but I do try.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Adorable puppy!
In July, two weeks into life with our new puppy and with fond memories of how easy our old adult Spoo was, after a particularly trying moment of play biting/growling from the new puppy, my husband looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, “I just don’t think he likes me!”
Now, 3 months later, with training and maturing, they are best buds. 🥰
The phrase that helped my husband most? “This, too, shall pass…”

Sending my best thoughts for you and your new little one, and hope you can get the rest you need!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
LOL puppies, I got really lucky this time and still it can be exhausting. Fortunately he goes to bed for the night with my daughter at 7:30-8..(yes we all go to bed early) but I'm up by 5 and then I start the days routine. Adorable puppy

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
"Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care", and temporarily prevents the puppy unravelling your own sleeve again! Freddy still sleeps a lot, and is quite happy to sleep in his pen. It is a revelation - I can actually get things done without constantly checking where he is and what he is doing. It also helps that he is cleared for outdoor walks - half an hour running across the fields, sniffing and exploring and checking what the Big Dogs are doing and he crashes for up to two hours. I wish I could boast about it but it is not down to anything I have done, just who he is.

Reactions: Mfmst and Ava.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL puppies, I got really lucky this time and still it can be exhausting. Fortunately he goes to bed for the night with my daughter at 7:30-8..(yes we all go to bed early) but I'm up by 5 and then I start the days routine. Adorable puppy
he started screaming to be let out at 3am, 4:30am, and 5;15 am. I let him scream it out and then when he quieted down I took him out to pee.. in the pouring rain. We did not have a good morning. I'm at school now so its my parents turn for the puppy morning shift.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boston terrier?

Basil's summer bff is a Boston terrier named Ruby <3

Just let the little one pee on the floor one night so you can get a full night sleep lol. Your in the thick of it until 6 months or so so one night off for a recharged mom...
He has a bladder of steel! He will go a solid 4 hours in the crate every day. My mom leaves for work at around 11am, I get home around 2pm and he hasn't once pottied in his kennel. He did go potty on the floor once after drinking a crap ton of water, took him outside to pee, he pee'd, 5 mins later he pee'd on the floor. thanks bud, lol

·
Registered
Urbie
31 Posts
I know all about this. I got my puppy at 8 weeks, he is now 6 months. He was the perfect puppy, he slept through the night, learned his commands and was a good boy. At month 4, he developed separation anxiety. He began to misbehave, pull on the lead and bark like crazy. I thought I would go insane. I am so tired all the time, all the time. Recently, I sent him to daycare; I will continue to do so. It is a lot of work and you will be exhausted and sometimes frustrated but I think it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
Well, I did circumvent the screaming by taking Freddy to bed with me from the start - the first few minutes before he settles are a bit like trying to settle a very spiky octopus, but he is getting better. And remembering those trips in the early hours, juggling puppy, dressing gown, shoes and torch I decided I was too old for it, put a puppy pad down in the bathroom and he uses that at night - total time from first wiggle to widdle and back to bed is usually under 5 minutes. It may mean some retraining down the line but by then he will be able to manage through the night, and it will be Spring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Raising a puppy is hard work. Topper is the first one I've raised, but I felt I was pretty well prepared thanks to PF, Ian Dunbar and other recommended reading. Now that he's one year old, I can see that hard work paying off. Do what you can to get enough sleep and help with the puppy. You may want to check out daycare when he's old enough to give you and your parents a break. Although if he were my puppy, I would want to be with him 24/7 cuz he's so cute!

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Hugs! I didn’t recognize myself a few months in with a puppy! I had a weekly trainer, a crate a big fenced yard and the support of PF. It got better with a schedule, a fair schedule. (Don’t B.S. me with those bells, Buck!) Exhausting to do Last Call, and then an early AM or two, but they eventually can hold elimination to a schedule. Time is on your side:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts