Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's in the water around here or something, but I keep getting asked if Mitch and Matrix are "real poodles". I assume they mean purebred, but I really just want to say "well, they sure look real to me!"

Has anyone else experienced this?

They have their FFT done, so I don't see why there is any confusion to being with...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, I haven't had that happen, but if the ratio of labradoodles vs. poodles at our training club is any indication of what the general public is exposed to then I won't be surprised if it does happen. 3 poodles vs. 6 labradoodles. They don't really look at all like a fft trimmed Poodle to me.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have gotten this one time "I cannot believe how real they are" But I also get "Are they one of those big poodles?" or "How do they get them this size?" REALLY!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
People are so funny...

I find that children instantly know what my mini is, they always exclaim, "Poodle!"

It's the adults who seem to have a hard time!

·
Registered
918 Posts
My very favorite comment of all time was: Your Poodle is beautiful! What kind of dog is he? :doh:

I find that I get more Doodle questions now that Jasper is taller. In addition to his size, the puppy coat seems to throw people off. Although, when was the last time you saw a Doodle with soft, fluffy hair? :bird:

I'm always amazed at the number of times I get asked if he's a Standard Poodle. We have L-O-T-S of Standards here. You'd think everyone would be used to seeing them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My little town is not really very dog smart....so when I opened my grooming shop and had all these multi-color poodles in different clips galloping up to the fences, people were amazed. I used to have to explain every thing, but now the people around here are used to seeing all colors and sizes. Its at dog parks and stuff that people ask if those are REAL poodles.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Maybe it's in the water around here or something, but I keep getting asked if Mitch and Matrix are "real poodles". I assume they mean purebred, but I really just want to say "well, they sure look real to me!"

Has anyone else experienced this?

They have their FFT done, so I don't see why there is any confusion to being with...
Yes. And, I think this is going to be the norm now that there is such an influx of doodles out there. I don't bother to get upset about it. I just say they are pure standard poodles and then continue to promote their virtues. Never had anyone walk away as they always seem to be very interested in learning about the standard poodle.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. And, I think this is going to be the norm now that there is such an influx of doodles out there. I don't bother to get upset about it. I just say they are pure standard poodles and then continue to promote their virtues. Never had anyone walk away as they always seem to be very interested in learning about the standard poodle.
oh, I never bother getting upset about it. I could care less if someone thought my dogs were doodles. I just find it quite hilarious that they use the term "real" as though poodles are usually fake or something :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually just get a lot of astonishment- at the drivethru today, the lady said, "OH! What a DOG!" It's amazing how many folks have never seen a poodle writ large!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've had lots of people ask if Darcy is a teacup poodle. I just say nope he's a puppy miniature poodle! I also had one lady with a standard ask if he was a standard puppy... I guess it's been a while since her guy was a pup as Darcy would be tiny next to a standard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We get this all the time. Since both of the boys have a sport cuts with long tails & hair covering there feet... I can see how some people mistake them for some kind of "doodle "dog. Most of these remarks come from people who do not know dogs. They are truly surprise they are poodles because they did not realize that poodles get this big (26" & 28") which adds to the confusion. When they think of poodles they think of toy & mini.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We get this all the time. Since both of the boys have a sport cuts with long tails & hair covering there feet... I can see how some people mistake them for some kind of "doodle "dog. Most of these remarks come from people who do not know dogs. They are truly surprise they are poodles because they did not realize that poodles get this big (26" & 28") which adds to the confusion. When they think of poodles they think of toy & mini.
Exactly what most people say to us. They will spread their hands about a foot apart and say something like 'I thought poodles were only this big!' LOL There really are a lot of uninformed people out there when it comes to the standard poodle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get it here all the time too. In my neighbor's defense, I haven't seen many Standards in South Carolina.
Everyone thinks he's a full grown Miniature and I have to explain that he's just a baby (4mo) Standard.
I don't mind it all. I'll take any opportunity to talk about my boy. ;)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've had people argue that they AREN'T real poodles. "They are much to large' haha. Funny though, I bet you a million that if you stuck your poodle, no matter what size it is, in a cont. trim people would instantly know what type of dog it is AND would probably be happy to give you grief about the silly clip.

I notice too that children always seem to know my girls are poodles and adults always seem to have to ask. Weird.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had people argue that they AREN'T real poodles. "They are much to large' haha. Funny though, I bet you a million that if you stuck your poodle, no matter what size it is, in a cont. trim people would instantly know what type of dog it is AND would probably be happy to give you grief about the silly clip.

I notice too that children always seem to know my girls are poodles and adults always seem to have to ask. Weird.
LOL, this so true, especially the point about children... they seem to always know their poodles. :)

We bring our spoos to some of the outside art shows I do & there are thousands of people. The questions, "are they a laba-doodle, golden-doodle etc.?" goes on all day long. This is a very festive atmosphere, so after a while I start telling people they are "poodle-poodles". Most people get it, for those who don't I tell them "its when you mate two poodles." :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had lots of people ask if Darcy is a teacup poodle. I just say nope he's a puppy miniature poodle! I also had one lady with a standard ask if he was a standard puppy... I guess it's been a while since her guy was a pup as Darcy would be tiny next to a standard.
Well I might be one of those to ask you that. Poppy was just over 3 lbs when I got her at a few days shy of 8 weeks. I really questioned if she was a standard at that point. Now at 10 months, she is definitely a standard at between 40 and 45 lbs and around 23". Not huge but the perfect size, even if she were to grow a little more, for us. Guess she just had a slow start:)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
"is that one of them labradoodles?"

"no ... she's a standard poodle puppy. i happen to like purebred dogs."

i was also asked if she was a portugese water dog too.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
i was also asked if she was a portugese water dog too.

lol, I'd be almost shocked if I got that question where I live. Surely poodles are more common and easily ID'd than a PWD, haha. I've only had 2 in for grooming come to think of it..

Haha love the comment on "it's when you mate two poodles" ROFL :doh: I can't believe you've had to say that hahaha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts