Poodle Forum banner

Ready to buy clippers/2 at same price... need quick help to decide

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jojogal001 
#1 ·
I found, on eBay, 2 sets of clippers for the same price. I have heard good things about both.

1 is the Oster Golden A5 and the other is Andis AGC. Both are single speed. Am thinking either might be good for just starting out and learning.

Thoughts of which would be the better one? Thanks!!

#3 ·
The Oster A5 are really good. Those are the ones we use at my clinic, they are super tough. I wish I had gotten those instead of the KM2 I bought. The KM are perfectly fine, but the blades get hot faster ime and the Osters have a much sturdier body. As far as I can tell from when I was looking, the AGC are closer to the KMs at least with the body. Don't know about heating up though.
The one possible downside with the Osters, the sturdy body means they are a bit heavier. Not enough that I notice it much though. Oh and the Osters vibrate less than the KM2s, if kept up they are pretty quiet.

#4 ·
Sounds really good then. I don’t think I mind it a little heavy. I can return them if they are too much so. I am going to get a 4 blade for Oscar. I’d like to leave some fluff on him instead of all the way short. I’m hoping to groom him within a week. Sigh...

#6 ·
Hope it works out well!! :) It's hard to decide when there are so many different options. I have been looking for a new clipper since last summer, and each every time I change my mind.
Lol. I have been doing the same thing. But when I went on eBay today to look once more, I found 3 of the Oster Golden and 1 AGC, all for $20 less than the Andis I was looking at. I just wasn’t sure about them, and reading through a lot of the posts in grooming, I got the idea these two I found today would be the better ones. So I made the leap.

Thank you for the good wishes. I will hold on tightly to it when I take the clippers to Oscar:unsure:?

#7 ·
Sounds like a good choice. I have Andis but mine is a two speed. I don’t think you will need two speed for your gang. You will be pleased at how well it works out for you and all the money you will save.

I wouldn’t assume the blade is sharp unless the seller said it was unused.

Reactions: jojogal001
#8 ·
I wouldn’t assume the blade is sharp unless the seller said it was unused.
I agree. I don’t need the 30 on Oscar so I’m only getting the 4 for him right now. But yes, I will be ordering another 30. But I guess I can ask the seller if the blade is new, but somehow I doubt it. Thanks for bringing that up!

#9 ·
I like the 30 for feet, I think I will get a 15 for face though. The 10 is too long.
Have you looked at combs instead of multiple blade sizes? I have the Wahl stainless steel set, and I'm really liking them. The shortest is a 5, there is also a 4 which is the same length as a 4 blade. The longest is an E, which is 1". They are best used with a 30 blade but can also be put on a 15 or a 10 I believe.

#12 ·
It's true that for a nice, smooth, even clip, a blade is best. At the vet clinic I do shave downs on matted cats and dogs, and I use a 7f or a 10. I can get a nice smooth finish, but I have done them quite a lot and I have 3 sets of blades.
The benefits of the combs, is that you can get the whole set with all different lengths for about the same price as a blade; plus the comb keeps the blade off the skin if you don't notice it getting hot. And the bigger combs are good if you want to have some longer hair but suck at scissoring like me lol.

#14 ·
I did find the metal comb attachment combs on chewy. Not a bad price even. I would have spent the same amount on a single blade. I’ll give them a try. I did get a 7F(?) already, but for Oscar’s longer hair will try the combs. Thanks for all the input! I feel like I went to school today lol. Great instructors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.