Poodle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me as "nu2poodles". I was owned by one beautiful, amazing standard poodle named Rain. She has passed away recently and I have begun searching for another to help fill the great emptiness of life without her.

I shared many photos of our exploits in the Florida Keys, here on Poodle Forum, She loved chasing fish on the flats and sandbars, and I loved watching and sharing her joyous freedom. And she was my constant companion & support as I cared for my parents through their waning years, 'till their deaths in 2016 & 2017 (my Dad at 100: Mom at 98).

In 2018, we moved to a rural out island of The Bahamas where we continued to roam the shores and the bush, free of the fear of alligators, poisonous snakes and other threats that had restricted our play in the Keys.

Rain's first day on the beach near our new home (2018). She was quite wary of the surf at first, since there is virtually no surf in the Keys. But after running in the sand and watching the frothy water for awhile, she challenged the surf to play:

Water Dog Beach Carnivore Dog breed

Then the game was on ...

Water Vertebrate Natural environment Beach Coastal and oceanic landforms

Water Dog Beach Carnivore Liquid

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
I remember Rain - lovely to share some of your memories.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What glorious photos! Are you still living on the island?
Yes. I live in a tiny house, off-grid, on the backside of an ~75' cliff that faces the Atlantic. If I am lucky, I will be able to live here another 10 years or so (-- need to keep active & fit). The terrain is pretty rugged, karst, with many caverns and caves.

Water Water resources Dog Plant Ecoregion

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh how fun! Sounds like Rain was a marvellous poodle ambassador.

Are you looking at American breeders for your new puppy?
Yes. I'm looking for an adolescent or a puppy. I'm not sure about the import rabies requirement (no rabies here; I don't know whether they'll make exceptions for puppies). Rain was a year old when she came to me, and 8.5 when we came over.

I'm looking at breeders who do thorough health testing and mostly hunting/agility lines. A serious injury or illness here (either me or a dog) would not be good and would most likely require moving back to the States for treatment. I am prepared to do this and am keeping an eye on the American market for the right property.

I'm old enough that I should be going over to the States for yearly checkups myself (eyes, e.g.). We have a great, small airline, Aztec Airways out of Ft. Lauderdale, that flies dogs as passengers.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I am so glad you are back, and wish you peace in your grief.

Years ago, you posted a phenomenal photo of Rain in the sea, or rushing in. She is facing the viewer's right. I wish I could describe more, but cannot. The impression of that photo is burned into my soul, and I would love to see the photo again.

You and Rain have left an indelible mark here, thanks to your art.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
We haven't met but I'm very glad to see you found your way back. I'm sorry that it's under these circumstances.

We'd love to see more photos and hear more stories of your lives together. Rain looks like joy personified (poodlified?).

You'll find some old acquaintances and friends still around, too :).

Reactions: Puppy Love
1 - 17 of 17 Posts