Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Ashley and I joined the forum a long time ago back when I first adopted my mini poodle Angel way back in Sep. 2011 & I don't think I even made more the just an intro post back then, as I'd been struggling with anxiety at the time, I still do, occasionally, but it's nowhere near what it was.
My original account was Crazy4Poodles, I have been unable to access that account for a long time now as my old Email was hacked & I never wrote my info down. :sad:
I've been wanting to make a new account for quite a while and have been lurking for literally years now and finally decided to rejoin.
Even just lurking through this forum has been so helpful, when I originally found this site back in 2011 it was looking for grooming tips, since then I've referred back to this site many times and now do most of Angel's grooming myself. I'm looking forward to being more active this time around & getting to know everyone! Whew, that was longer than I thought...

Now for Angel; Angel is about 8 years old now and was around 1-2 years when I adopted her, she's picked up on her training pretty fast (though years later some things are a work in progress.), and she LOVES being bathed and brushed! (I did make her a baby book btw, thanks Marcie for that idea)
Link to my original intro thread:
https://www.poodleforum.com/2-member-introductions/15427-hi-im-new-here-rescued-mini.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Welcome back.

Angel looks so happy sitting on you. She's a real sweetie and she's lucky you rescued her.

Reactions: Poodles4Life

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Very cute little girl ! Glad you’re back and please post lots of pictures.

(her nails are very long on the pictures, a nail trimming would be in order. Sorry, I just had to say it, please don’t take offense).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Welcome back! She is so cute! I agree with dechi about her nails - if you are grooming her yourself it can be really hard to learn how to do the nails. I bet there are lots of threads about it on here, or you can make a new one if you need advice. Happy to have you back as a pf member!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Aww, welcome back! You two are adorable together :)

My Maltese's nails grow reallllly fast and she's too difficult for me to do so I let a pro groomer or the vet do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very cute little girl ! Glad you’re back and please post lots of pictures.

(her nails are very long on the pictures, a nail trimming would be in order. Sorry, I just had to say it, please don’t take offense).
Welcome back! She is so cute! I agree with dechi about her nails - if you are grooming her yourself it can be really hard to learn how to do the nails. I bet there are lots of threads about it on here, or you can make a new one if you need advice. Happy to have you back as a pf member!
No offense taken her nails were long when the pictures were taken, I cut them this afternoon, I'll attach a picture. Also just wanted to note, I do most of her grooming, but not all of it, I still take her to the groomer ever so often.
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back, and yes, I'll post lots of pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
No offense taken her nails were long when the pictures were taken, I cut them this afternoon, I'll attach a picture. Also just wanted to note, I do most of her grooming, but not all of it, I still take her to the groomer ever so often.
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back, and yes, I'll post lots of pictures!
That’s wayyyy better ! :)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Welcome back and nails, ugh yep that happens. I try to keep up with my guys nails in-between grooms. My chihuahua is another story now that he is old they grow like crazy and I have to have the vet do them. This last time I was so embarrassed by them. I'm taking him every 2 weeks now to try and get them shorter.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Agreed! I'd let the hair on her paws get long and when I trimmed them this morning and saw her nails, I couldn't believe how long I'd let them get. :doh:
Welcome back :). I can tell you're having fun with your grooming and have gotten some good skills going. You aren't alone; I've done the exact same thing with Oliver, letting his nails get too long because of getting behind on trimming his feet. Just nails super long strain the ankle/heel tendons and force the leg back a bit, so it's also a health issue.

With my last dog, I used a dremel, but she was short-haired, and with Oliver unfortunately I caught his hair a couple times. Awful. Now I use the Oster Pro Care Spin device, and have much better luck (though still cover up his ears with a snood). If I'd buy a grooming table and not do nails in my lap it would help a lot, too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’m new-ish here and looked first for grooming advice as well! I am still working on my skills. Sage is a 3.5 year-old boy. My latest purchase this week: a high velocity dryer!!
After reading much on the forum and acknowledging that I live in a rainforest, I realized that many of my poodle hair woes would be solved if I just shelled out the money for a dryer (advice taken from here of course!) Otherwise he’s pretty much a wet poodle from October to May:act-up:
Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome back :). I can tell you're having fun with your grooming and have gotten some good skills going.
Thank you! :bashful: I definitely have a lot of fun with grooming, I'm still learning, so it's nice to get some positive feedback. :bashful:

You aren't alone; I've done the exact same thing with Oliver, letting his nails get too long because of getting behind on trimming his feet. Just nails super long strain the ankle/heel tendons and force the leg back a bit, so it's also a health issue.

With my last dog, I used a dremel, but she was short-haired, and with Oliver unfortunately I caught his hair a couple times. Awful. Now I use the Oster Pro Care Spin device, and have much better luck (though still cover up his ears with a snood). If I'd buy a grooming table and not do nails in my lap it would help a lot, too.
I've heard before that if the nails get too long they can deform the feet and/or cause ankle problems. I don't let it happen to often but when I get behind and her nails get too long I always feel so guilty, I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one that's done this. I'll definitely look into one of those Oster Pro Care Spin devices, I used a Pedipaws for a while and it worked wonders. I'm honestly not sure what happened to it, I think I let someone borrow it, in any case it's gone now. lol
I actually groom on our washing machine. (No room for a proper table) My Grandma made a board to put over the washer, from left over tile board, so I put the board down and then get Angel and have her stand, you can see what I mean in the third (I think) pic in my first post. Still, i'm guilty of doing nails in my lap as well...

I’m new-ish here and looked first for grooming advice as well! I am still working on my skills. Sage is a 3.5 year-old boy. My latest purchase this week: a high velocity dryer!!
After reading much on the forum and acknowledging that I live in a rainforest, I realized that many of my poodle hair woes would be solved if I just shelled out the money for a dryer (advice taken from here of course!) Otherwise he’s pretty much a wet poodle from October to May:act-up:
Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you as well and I must say your Sage is quite a handsome boy! I'm still working on my grooming skills as well, I think I'm alright at it but still there's room for improvement. :) Glad to hear you've solved your poodle hair woes, Angel always seems to be wet in the winter/spring months as well, so I know how great a dryer can be. :act-up:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your dear Grandma is quite ingenious! Hoping she has shared her innate engineering understanding with others as well :)....
She has definitely done her best to teach friends/family and I have certainly learned a lot from her. :nerd:
I actually read your post to her and she said to thank you for the kind words. :angel2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts