Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what to do, now.

He was sleeping in his bed right next to my reading chair, and suddenly I heard a banging noise, looked down and he was right in the middle of some horrible throws.

His body twisted, his mouth was open and jerking and drool just puddled form his mouth. His tongue was twisted to the side, legs kicking in a swimming movement. It couldn't have been more than a minute but felt like forever.

I pulled him into my arms and just kept calling his name in the most soothing voice I could. Eventually, the seizure ended but for a few moments, he couldn't stand on his own and was so disoriented. He's so weak, so tired right now. That constant wagging tail is just so limp. No dancing when I call his name, no licking my nose.. just...tired.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh no!! I hope he's ok....

My moms dog had a seizure when I was at home with her, it took her a couple days to start walking normal again, she could walk, but struggled to get up and down stairs. Good news is within 2 days she was completely back to normal. She's very old too.

Don't really know much about them, hope your sweetie is ok. Hang in there, I know it's scary!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awww (((hugs))) to you. I know how scary that is. Hang in there.

Is this the first time that has happened? If not then is he on medication for it or has he been diagnosed with a specific problem? How old is he?

If it is a first, and I kind of get the feeling it might be else you would have been given instructions on what to do by your vet, I would call a vet. The best thing would be to have him seem as an emergancy clinic in your area or at least speak to them via phone to get advice. It could be caused by a number of things, if he's gotten into something he'll need to be treated ASAP. If he has a gentetic issue thats a different story and while it is a concern it isn't like he's been piosened or anything you know and could wait until the first of the week.

It would be a good idea to put him in a quiet, dark-ish place and let him rest. See if it happens again. Mostly you kind of need to keep an eye on him but leave him alone and let him right himself. Don't try and stimulate him really.

If you can't get in to an e-clinic tonight or tomarrow he does need to be seen by a vet first thing on monday. The causes needs to be determined as soon as possible so you and your vet can decide the best course of action and your vet can educate you on proper seizure dog handling. Seizures can be serious business and a reccuring problem, or they can be a once in a life time type thing. Either way you need to know and your vet needs to know :)

Be careful if he has another one. Unless he is going to hurt himself I probably wouldn't pick him up mid seizure, you could get bitten or make the issue worse. If you do pick him up just hold him gently. Try not to freak out, though I know it is a scary thing to see. Keep calm and quiet. If it happens again tonight you probably really do need to get him to an all night type clinic, even if it's a long drive. Better to be safe than sorry if he's going to have a rough night.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
He probably has epilepsy.
It usually shows signs within the first few years of a poodles life.
My Grandparents miniature poodle was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was 2 or so years old. He had medication every single day, morning and night, and still had the occasional seizure, every 2-3 months, and those were the ones that we saw. The best you can do is just comfort them and hold them while it happens, and it does get emotional.
I would recommend you take him to a vet to get a proper diagnosis.
I hope it gets better.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh gosh, seizures can be so scary. We had a small pomeranian years ago that had seizures from an inoperatable brain tumor. Her seizures started when she was about 3 yrs. old. The vet started her on phenobarbital for the seizures, which worked great. We gave the phenobarbital to her once per day to prevent her from having seizures. She lived a very normal life and passed at the age of 13, and not from anything related to her tumor or to her having a seizure. I had cut up some steak in real tiny pieces for her and put them down on the floor for her in her feed dish, which I often did, but for some reason this day she decided that she wanted to gobble up the steak, which she tried to do and it got caught down deep in her throat. She tried to cough the steak up and couldn't and fell on the floor, she couldn't breathe. I picked her up, tried desperately to get the steak out of her throat, but it was lodged to far down for me to get it. I even tried heimlich on her, but was not able to save her. She died in my arms, it was terrible, I will never forget it. This happened about 25 yrs. ago, and I still sometimes have nightmares about it. To this day, if I have anything special that I know that my dogs love, they get it hand fed to them 1 piece at a time. Even our rottweiller that has a huge mouth and could probably swallow a whole steak at one time, gets little pcs. 1 pc. at a time. Good luck with Ray Ray, I Hope everything works out good for both of you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would get in touch with Barbara Licht withthe Poodle Epilepsy Project at Florida State - she is an incredible wealthof information on Poodles and seizures. She'll ask a lot of questions andthen be able to give you more information on the direction you "should"head. Barbara G. Licht, Ph.D., Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-1270. Phone: 850-644-6272; Fax: 850-644-7739; email: [email protected] http://www.psy.fsu.edu/faculty/blicht.dp.html

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Sending positive thoughts to your family and Ray-Ray!!! Praying that it's something that can be kept under control!

I know I posted this under "Quick Reply" but it ended up being anything but quick! Sorry!

My daughter's standard poodle had her first seizure when she was about 5 months old, and actually we didn't know she had experienced one... my daughter had come home from being out with friends and discovered Meau had pooped in her crate. That was the first time she had messed in her crate in her entire life! Katy woke me up and asked me to help her get the mess cleaned up and we chalked it up to the fact that Meau had needed to go outside and since her crate is in Katy's room and Katy wasn't home, no one heard her asking to go out...

I think Meau pooped in her crate one or two more times while she was alone in the room before we finally discovered WHY she was doing it... One night, Katy asked if she and Meau could come sleep in our "big bed" - we have a king size bed and there are usually between 5 and 8 souls sleeping there anyway -what's 2 more?? My husband had gone to sleep on the recliner, which he does when he gets nocturnal heartburn, and so Katy and Meau moved into our room...

Something woke me and the room was dark but I could hear Meau snapping her jaws - It made me think that she had chewed on something that got stuck in her throat or teeth... STUPID me, I reached down to her face in the dark and tried to feel if there was something in her mouth (I could've been bit, BAD!) but there was nothing there and I could tell that Meau was very stiff and shaking and her head was thrashing. I ran to turn on the light and it was obvious that she was suffering a seizure! It only lasted about 30-50 seconds, but as you stated in your post, it felt much longer!

As soon as her seziure passed, Meau tried to stand up and walk (very wobbly) and she lost control of her bowels (luckily I had a towel in my room and was able to "catch it") That explained the poop in the crate!! She had been having seizures and we didn't know it!!

Katy took her to the vet the next morning and they said she was basically healthy - no obvious reasons for seizures, but because of her age (under 6 months) they were not going to put her on any meds - Dr. Mark told Katy that if she eventually needed to be on meds, he wouldn't even consider them until Meau was over 2 years old!! He told Katy to keep a close eye on her and to record any further seizures (when they happened, how long they lasted, how severe they were, etc.) If she was having them frequently we'd have to take some action...

I think she had one more the night after the vet appointment. Katy had Meau spayed at 6 months old and she had one more seizure shortly after the spay and hasn't had another one since (knock on wood!!) We're not sure if the seizures were hormone related (if that's even possible) since they started right about the time she was becoming sexually mature and ended shortly after being spayed...?

We're praying that Meau won't ever experience a seizure again, but we are also aware of the possibility of it and will take action accordingly. During the 4 years I managed the humane society here, we had several dogs being medicated for epilepsy. Phenobarbitol works well, but it is a lifelong endeavor and must be given regularly to work the way it is supposed to. Also, from time to time, the amount of Phenobarb given needs to be evaluated by a vet to ensure proper dosage.

At this point in Meau's life, she doesn't need meds and we hope she never does (as we also hope for Ray-Ray!!) If Meau never has another seizure in her life - or if she has them very seldom, we will opt for no medication. However if the seizures start up again and she has them often, we will be doing whatever we have to do to ensure her health and happiness.

Hugs to you, Teresa, and your family (2-legged and 4!!) Please keep us updated on Ray-Ray - he's a special light to this community! God bless!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am so sorry that you have too experience this. I agree with dogsinstyle about contacting the poodle health registery . This could be very helpful and conforting to you as well..
I read about the bitch Meau and had the same experience with an Irish Setter she had seizures beginning at 4 years and as soon as she was spayed they went away. i thought hormone related as well ...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm so sorry. Seizures can be very scary for owners.

Generally, a dog will not be put on meds until it has multiple seizures within a month. Still, you should contact your vet on Monday to let her know.

Poodles do get epilepsy, but I'm also wondering if Ray Ray's seizure are tied to the fact that he does not have eyes. Sometimes neurological problems go hand in hand with physical abnormalities in dogs.

Seizures have also been linked to vaccines and topical flea meds like Frontline. Has he recently been treated.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Poodles do get epilepsy, but I'm also wondering if Ray Ray's seizure are tied to the fact that he does not have eyes. Sometimes neurological problems go hand in hand with physical abnormalities in dogs.
This is exactly what the ER Vet had been concerned with. They checked his blood-sugar leval first, then poor guy was about to get cathorized for a unrine sample when he peed started yelping to go outside to pee. It took awhile to convince him that it was okay to pee over a piddle pad (with a ladel cuppish thing to catch the stream! can you imagine??) but he did finally let go. No UTI and Blood-sugar looked to be in the normal range.

I'll be calling our vet first thing in the morning and get him sceduled for a blood count and chemistry and what ever other tests might be needed.

I thought I'd call Barbara Licht in the morning too. I was kind of worried about it being the weekend and all.:doh:

Molly wants to go to the Vet tomorrow with Ray-Ray but I'm making her go to school anyway. Meanwhile, she's not letting him out of her sight(and neither am I).

Thankyou everyone for your soothing, encouraging words. It was incredably scary but I'm calming down the more I read. I guess the best advise of all has been summed up to be--- Just don't panick, Teresa...

Thankyou again:)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
:) panic is never good :)

I'll assume he hasn't had any more, and keep my fingers crossed for you that he won't. Glad you were able to speak to a vet about it quickly.

Good luck at the vet on Monday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, I appologize for not responding sooner.
It's been one wierd week.

Ray Ray hasn't had any other seizures and my vet suggested that I just keep an eye on him. If it happens again, he'll run blood tests but as of now, there dosn't seem to be any danger.

He went back in on the 25th for his final vaccination.

He's doing really well and no other issues so far.:)

What a scare! Thankyou all for such wonderfull suport!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks so much for updating us . I wondered how all was with you and Ray Ray.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so sorry for keeping everyone hanging. I feel so embaressed. Sometimes I get caught up in everyday things and BAM, there goes the day.:doh:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Please do not hold any animal or person for that matter when they are having a seizure. Just move any dangerous objects away from them. Also, please do not put anything in their mouths. During a seizure the muscles contract so holding an animal or person can cause injuries. Being "lethargic" or tired and sleepy is normal after a seizure it is the post dictal stage so don't panic if the animal doesn't wake up right away. Seek medical attention asap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts