Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Mia, a 1,5 year old toy poodle and Chico, a 4 year old cockatiel
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia LOVES rawhide sticks. I tried giving her flavored nylon bones like Tastybone, but she didn’t really like them. I tried dipping them in her food, still no budge. I’m not keen on bullysticks because theyre REALLY expensive and they smell. I cant find any antlers or elk that ship to where I live either. I am about to try a Kong toy, but we’ll see. My question: Are rawhides really that bad? I supervise her while she’s chewing, don’t give her crazy amounts and she has not had any health problems. I want to keep giving her rawhide bones and such but I’m worried. She gulps down things like jerky in seconds. Opinions?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do not feed your dog rawhides, EVER. Blockages happen so often, and not worth the risk. No bones is better than possibly killing your dog, don't you think? Raw bones, and yak chews are great alternatives.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Objectively, you can get treats for cheaper if you shop around online. Buying in stores can generally be more expensive because it takes more steps to get to the end consumer and treats have to get marked up every step of the supply chain for freight and overhead.

Also, you can rotate your treats like you would toys even if they've already been started. For example, Basil has 4 to 6 8-12" bully sticks she's munched on at various stages that I rotate until they become a nubbin. Bully sticks marketed as "oder free" with low moisture last longer and don't smell as bad.

Hoofs arent that expensive and have a long lifespan. Good for the rotation.

You can take Mia's treats and roll them up in a small towel (like you would to whip an old friend at the pool) then tie it in 1 knot. Mia's will try to shake it apart to get the treats. That's cheap and 30-60 minutes of entertainment.

Mia might like to munch of a cows tail. They're a lot softer then a bully stick and good for a light chewer and around the $1-2/ea (I think, don't quote me).. Cow tails last 1 minute with Basil (SPOO) so I stopped buying them, but could be a good to try one and find out.

So yeah, there are other ways to treat Mia for cheap. It might cost more up-front, but it's not rawhide and will lasts long.

A Cow hoof, oder free bully sticks, towel treats, cow tails. I would try those.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Avoid rawhide, some dogs bite off large pieces that can cause intestinal blockages.

My vet also warned me about antlers and anything hard. He said if you can’t dent something with your finger nail then it’s too hard and can break your dogs teeth. His practice has seen many dogs with broken teeth From antlers and raw bones. A long time member here who is sadly is no long with us, Mollymuima used to feed her dog Molly raw bones and Molly had to have broke teeth extracted. Mollymuima was a vet tech and Molly was fairly young so she was being careful.

I do feed bully sticks. Yak cheese is popular but my dog adores her nightly kong stuffed firmly with some of her dinner. It’s fun to see her work at that kong. Her food is the texture of meatloaf and I push it in with my finger.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If your dog loves rawhide, look for pork skin chews. They have a similar texture but are supposedly 100% digestible. Should be a very easy switch. I also really loved baked cow ears. They are not greasy at all and I have not had any issues with them. They are much softer than rawhide. I also use bully sticks. Some brands smell and others don't. You can buy them in bulk for much cheaper online. Yak chews are good too but my dog only likes the softer ones.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
My late chihuahua ate a piece of rawhide (under my supervision and she had them before) and I wasn’t fast enough to keep her from swallowing a big piece whole. 3000$ later (surgery to remove it from the oesophagis) she almost died.

Never again. DO NOT feed rahwide.

·
Registered
Luna
29 Posts
Beef or lamb trachea chews are good alternatives to rawhide. Not quite as pricey as bully sticks but more expensive then rawhide. As someone else said try shopping around online. I actually find the best price locally at the shop inside a dog training center. Another alternative is raw carrots. My dogs love them and very inexpensive! I buy a big bag of organic carrots at the market each week just for them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Beef or lamb trachea chews are good alternatives to rawhide. Not quite as pricey as bully sticks but more expensive then rawhide. As someone else said try shopping around online. I actually find the best price locally at the shop inside a dog training center. Another alternative is raw carrots. My dogs love them and very inexpensive! I buy a big bag of organic carrots at the market each week just for them.
Do raw carrots have any issue passing through your dog?

I asking because I think that's a great idea, but I chunks of raw carrots don't feel good, like a bad stomache ache, as they pass through my own body and I'm worried Basil might feel uncomfortable lol.

·
Registered
Luna
29 Posts
Do raw carrots have any issue passing through your dog?

I asking because I think that's a great idea, but I chunks of raw carrots don't feel good, like a bad stomache ache, as they pass through my own body and I'm worried Basil might feel uncomfortable lol.
I've never had any of my dogs have any issues with carrots including my sensitive stomach boy. He cannot tolerate bully stick trachea or any other "natural" chews, and the vet actually recommends carrots in moderation. I use organic and wash and peel before feeding.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
For those of you feeding trachea to your dogs, be very careful that the thyroid glands have been completely dissected out otherwise your dog will be getting exogenous thyroid hormone which could cause hyperthyroidism. It’s as if you are feeding your dog thyroid medication. Honestly I doubt anyone packaging trachea for dogs are bothering to be that careful to remove a gland that wraps around the trachea.

There is a diagram here

Its probably safe as a random rare treat but not fed regularly.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Another No here on rawhide.

My Noel was a rawhide fanatic. They were always supervised but it only takes a few seconds of attention elsewhere. She’d chew off hunks and one night before I noticed a chunk lodged in her throat. It was Heimlich time, but I wasn’t sure how to pull that off. Instead, I grabbed her back legs and tipped her upside down, bouncing her til she coughed it out. I’m just glad it wasn’t sharp as well. This could have ended very sadly.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carrots sound like a good idea, as well as cow ears! They wont break our bank account like a bully stick will. Mia likes carrots too so that is a win-win. I’ve looked at Himalayan Chews but they cost about 80 dollars with shipping to my country and dollars are like, 7 liras or something soo uh carrots, cow ears and kongs are the way to go I guess. I’m lucky she’s a light chewer otherwise she would’ve chewed up the house while I was looking for something safe for her to chew on.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was warned off rawhide by both our vet and our trainer as well. I found a "No Hide" chew at our groomers and trainer from earth animal which Joonie absolutely loves: Chews & Treats - Earth Animal . They come in different sizes/flavours; the medium ones might be a bit too big for a toy but the small "stix" are about the perfect size I think for their smaller mouths.

Anyone else try these? It starts off stiff and hard much like regular chews, but softens as he goes and so nothing he swallows is a choke hazard. Yak chews also seem like a good second option, but my Joonie doesn't like those as much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those chews do sound good, but one of them’s shipping is 50 dollars to my place and the others only for United States I think. It’s a shame, because Mia would have loved those I’m sure. I added cow ears and thighs in my shopping cart, those are much cheaper than bully sticks. There’s also a liver chew stick available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WingsandPaws are you in Turkey? Do I have my flag identification correct? 😉. If you can get some large sweet potatoes, they can be sliced in various sizes and dried slowly in an oven. For my standards I will cut 1 sweet potato into 4 wedges and dry it in an oven.... About 250° F for a few hours. You can take them out depending on how hard you want them. Then I keep them in the freezer. They won't last as long as a bully stick or raw hide, but it's a nice healthy treat. Carrots are a big hit too, and one of my dogs likes frozen broccoli.

Do you have access to goats or lamb? I wonder if goat/sheep horns would be a good chew? I think they are suitable for dogs, but I've never tried. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I’m in Turkey. I can get sweet potatoes as well as carrots! I dont know about horns , I’m sure I could find them in butchers but I’m afraid of them splintering. I could also find tendon chews and lamb foot, so I’ll be trying them all as time goes. This morning I spread a little hazelnut butter around her spiked chew ring and she spent nearly 30 mins on it so that’s good!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news; I tried carrots and lamb ears with her and she loved them both! The ears are a really good substitute for rawhide sticks, and cheaper from bully sticks too! Half the price actually.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am also too cheap to buy bully sticks.

Hooves and horns can be good chews, they are made of keratin, like your fingernails but OMG do they stink when wet (like if a dog chews them). Do not recommend. Annie also loves the cow ears, goat ears, and lambs ears. She can't handle the fat in pigs ears or pig skins.

Our 11 lb dog loves raw chicken wing and duck wing tips, and chicken feet. If they are frozen they last even longer.

We can also occasionally buy 'whimzees' which are basically flavoured potato starch chews and pretty cheap, though not anywhere near as long lasting as a bulky stick. Lots of dogs really like them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts