Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you feed raw as opposed to kibble? Is raw better? What do you feed? What are your recipes?

Thanks! :)

I'm considering feeding Dana raw... but I'm not sure...:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have considered Raw, but for now still feed kibble. We've only just gotten a big freezer in the basement now, so it has become possible for me to look at doing raw! I don't know that I will though, at least i want a decent fence up so I can feed them outside! lol

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I am switching my guys over and it is tough .. We feed raw chicken legs pigs feet wings and pork .. So far But we are doing kibble at night.. WE suppliment with Sea meal and I bake them brownies from liver ...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't think there is any real proof that one is better than the other. You can find advocates for both, but I do feed raw. I like it because the dogs love to eat it, it is so easy, not messy, their stools are fantastic, their weight management is super easy, their teeth stay cleaner and it just feels good to me. Now, I would have no problems switiching to kibble if I felt they were suffering because of it and if at any point I feel that way I will. They are happy and healthy right now. My youngest was fed raw from her breeder so she has never known anything different. My spoo picked it up easily and loves it(but I fed her kibble when I first got her and she ate it pretty well too). They even like their fish oil pills.

I don't have recipes. A typical meal would be to open the bag of chicken breast pull one out and give for breakfast with a raw egg(shell included) and then a meaty bone for supper(bone, skin intact). Also they need a little organ but not necessarily every single day.

If you need help getting started, feel free to pm me and I can give you my "start menu". I love it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
KM-
I may get your advice. We need to get together soon (and our poos!) But, we need to make room in our garage or laundry room for a freezer first.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies...

My Dana is eating kibble right now and I always have to force her to eat it. It's like she's never hungry.

I thought she'd maybe like raw better... but I'm still not sure if it's better than kibble. I'm concerned about salmonella and other bacteria with raw food... :eek:hwell:

Does it make a difference on the age of the dog? Dana is 4 months.

How much raw food does the dog get? Do you measure it, or do they eat until they're full? :wacko:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Okay correct me if I am wrong but I have been told not to mix dry and raw.. As on digest much faster thatn the other..
really? from who? I've never heard that...

If I feed my pet a mixture of Nature’s Variety Raw Frozen Diets and kibble at the same meal, should I be concerned about the different rate of digestion?

It’s important for pet parents to feel comfortable with their feeding process. We believe customers need not be concerned about mixing raw and kibble at the same meal. Raw is like canned food in terms of moisture content and rates of digestion; people routinely combine canned and kibble diets with no digestive upset or stomach emptying issues. There is no scientific evidence that combining kibble and raw food causes the raw foods to be digested at a slower rate. (Remember, when you feed any new food to your pet for the first time, it is best to transition slowly. Mix increasing amounts of your pet’s new food with decreasing amounts of the previous food over a 7 to 14 day period.)

http://www.naturesvariety.com/raw_QandA

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been feeding raw for a while now and for the same reasons mentioned by other here. The dogs love it, better stool, breath etc... less farts. I supplment with fish oil, seameal, yougert, and applecider vinigar also a little MSM. We feed chicken, pork, beef lamb, what ever I find on sale.

And yes you should not feed kibble at the same meal. kibble digests slower than raw. Because raw carries salmonila it need to be digested quickly, which is what dogs are designed to do. If you feed in the same meal with kibble it slows it down and their is a chance it could make them sick. So far I have never had a problem but this is what I heard on a Raw food forum. It made sence to me so If I feed kibble it is not at the same meal as raw.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh I forgot to say I feed the prey model which is 80% meat 10% organ and10% bone. I don't know if that makes a difference. I do know that the prey model is a little different than the prepacked Raw Foods I have seen. Not as many ingrediences.

to answer how much to feed I have always gone by 2 to 3 percent of their adult body weight.

Ginger was a picky eater as well and she loves raw.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ingredients for Natures Variety, Raw Frozen Diet: lamb, lamb liver, raw ground lamb bone, lamb heart, lamb kidney, apples, carrots, butternut squash, ground flaxseed, chicken eggs, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, dried kelp, apple cider vinegar, parsley, honey, salmon oil, olive oil, blueberries, alfalfa sprouts, persimmons, duck eggs, pheasant eggs, quail eggs, inulin, rosemary, sage, clove

-95% lamb, liver & raw ground bones
-grain free

seems pretty kicka$$ to me :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds good. My sister-in-law feeds the same thing. I am not knocking it. Just giving my experience and telling what I feed. :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
ingredients: lamb, lamb liver, raw ground lamb bone, lamb heart, lamb kidney, apples, carrots, butternut squash, ground flaxseed, chicken eggs, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, dried kelp, apple cider vinegar, parsley, honey, salmon oil, olive oil, blueberries, alfalfa sprouts, persimmons, duck eggs, pheasant eggs, quail eggs, inulin, rosemary, sage, clove

-95% lamb, liver & raw ground bones
-grain free

seems pretty kicka$$ to me :D
Seriously is this a dry food ! ????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts