Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*note: I did a search but couldn't find anything when I searched "raw" - if this has been brought up before, let me know. *

I'm very interested in nutrition in general, as is my whole family, so we're curious about different types of dog diets.

I've read a little about raw (and BARF) diets, and they really intrigue me. (Plus something about a miniature poodle eating a raw chicken leg makes me laugh.) I find them appealing mostly because you know and can control what your dog is eating.

But then there are plenty of good dry diets as well. I've heard good things about Innova, Canidae, and others. (<3 dogfoodanalysis.com)

Does anyone have particularly strong opinions/facts/resources leaning one way or the other?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
*note: I did a search but couldn't find anything when I searched "raw" - if this has been brought up before, let me know. *

I'm very interested in nutrition in general, as is my whole family, so we're curious about different types of dog diets.

I've read a little about raw (and BARF) diets, and they really intrigue me. (Plus something about a miniature poodle eating a raw chicken leg makes me laugh.) I find them appealing mostly because you know and can control what your dog is eating.

But then there are plenty of good dry diets as well. I've heard good things about Innova, Canidae, and others. (<3 dogfoodanalysis.com)

Does anyone have particularly strong opinions/facts/resources leaning one way or the other?
Thanks for asking Cera.... we actually did have a raw thread recently :

http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=2090

I love this website by the author of "Raw Meaty Bones". And you can also read the book off of this website (if I'm not mistaken)
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

I'm all for feeding raw - If you get the meat from a reputable source and it's good quality meat. I usually buy my meat from our local dutch market since I know it's all organic. It doesn't have all the hormones etc. that is in the grocery store meat, but it might work out a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I feed raw also - not sure I could feed my dogs kibble again! :biggrin: Right now I feed either Nature's Variety raw (www.naturesvariety.com) or Honest Kitchen's dehydrated raw (www.thehonestkitchen.com). I like the dogs to have some variety. I would include other raw brands if they were available around here. Cedar Rapids is a bit of a black hole for pre made raw foods. If you are not sure about going raw, you might try Honest Kitchen - you just add water to rehydrate and you can add other ingredients to their foods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feed raw also - not sure I could feed my dogs kibble again! :biggrin: Right now I feed either Nature's Variety raw (www.naturesvariety.com) or Honest Kitchen's dehydrated raw (www.thehonestkitchen.com). I like the dogs to have some variety. I would include other raw brands if they were available around here. Cedar Rapids is a bit of a black hole for pre made raw foods. If you are not sure about going raw, you might try Honest Kitchen - you just add water to rehydrate and you can add other ingredients to their foods.
My mom and I were talking about doing all the meal prep ourselves, but do you think buying those pre-packaged ones would be less intimidating to dog sitters? And would that mesh with a home-made raw diet? We don't go on vacation often by any means, maybe once a year, but just to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It would probably be easier for a dogsitter to use the pre made - especially if they are not used to feeding raw. They do mesh with the home made raw - should not be a problem - I would probably make sure the dogs are used to eating either way. Honest Kitchen does have a food you might like to check into called "Preference" - it is just the dehydrated veggies and you add your own meat - might be a first step for you to prepare your own.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It would probably be easier for a dogsitter to use the pre made - especially if they are not used to feeding raw. They do mesh with the home made raw - should not be a problem - I would probably make sure the dogs are used to eating either way. Honest Kitchen does have a food you might like to check into called "Preference" - it is just the dehydrated veggies and you add your own meat - might be a first step for you to prepare your own.
AgilityIG Since I just do raw meaty bones... I'm interested to know how does the nature's variety and honest kitchen compare to each other price wise etc. Is there one you prefer over the other? and why?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think they probably end up being about the same per pound (HK might be a little less? depends on where you buy it probably). I don't necessarily like one better than the other. I buy NV because it's the ONLY raw available in this area (raw is way too expensive to ship - especially feeding four dogs). I ship in HK as it is dehydrated and can be shipped. That being said, I am fortunate that I have those available as they are both great foods! It might be a little easier to travel with the HK. I end up using HK if my premade raw is not thawed enough for the dogs to eat :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think they probably end up being about the same per pound (HK might be a little less? depends on where you buy it probably). I don't necessarily like one better than the other. I buy NV because it's the ONLY raw available in this area (raw is way too expensive to ship - especially feeding four dogs). I ship in HK as it is dehydrated and can be shipped. That being said, I am fortunate that I have those available as they are both great foods! It might be a little easier to travel with the HK. I end up using HK if my premade raw is not thawed enough for the dogs to eat :biggrin:
I haven't traveled ever since I switched ponki to raw, I was alway curious as to how I would pull it off. I didn't even know that they made dehydrated raw meals. Thanks for the info... I'm sure that makes traveling less of a headache!
Since ponki is sooo small, feeding her raw doesn't really differ much from feeding kibble/canned cost wise. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Though I don't have a poodle (YET!) I have something to contribute. :)

I have been feeding raw for almost 10 years now, at first I fed the comercial stuff, which was a BARF-based diet[contains vegatable matter], when it got too expensive about 18 months after starting, I switched to a homemade BARF-based diet. Not convinced I was doing good enough I started researching the prey-model diet and for 8 years now I have been feeding the prey-model diet. Having 'furred' breeds I noticed almost immediately that they last lingering 'dog' smell vanished. clean teeth on my 11-year-old boy.

[qoute from my vet, "He's got cleaner teeth than most of the 1 year old pups I see"]

My Boston who had issues with tear stains has not since he was a pup and converted.

Make sure when you start you dont ONLY feed mush/puree/mash your dogs teeth will rott and FAST. The chewing, and knawing from the raw meaty bones are what keep the teeth clean.

However with the smaller breeds I would avoid all weight baring bones, So NO chicken legs, but they'll enjoy a good chicken wing or back. Also make sure you have a camera ready for the look they give you the first time you hand them meat, you might die laughing.

What I feed my canine pack of a 11 year old mutt(70lbs) boston terrier(4y) and Frenchie(6m) is

80% muscle meat (heart is a mucsle meat)
10% organ meat with 80% of that being liver
10% Bone, my main bone source is chicken necks/backs.

Every meal is not like this, you achieve it over time, like you do with your own diet, right! :)

Watch for really dry poos, which are not enough muscle meat and can be uncomfortable.

I do not supplement anything really, the odd ACV capfull in the drinking water, acidophoulus when converting to prevent running stool.

Good luck,
:)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
However with the smaller breeds I would avoid all weight baring bones, So NO chicken legs, but they'll enjoy a good chicken wing or back.
If I feed chicken, I've only ever fed ponki chicken legs - thighs and drums... have never had a problem with it. Since most other parts have either too much bone or too much fat. I feel feeding the wings and backs don't have enough muscle meat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I feed chicken, I've only ever fed ponki chicken legs - thighs and drums... have never had a problem with it. Since most other parts have either too much bone or too much fat. I feel feeding the wings and backs don't have enough muscle meat.

This comment is from personal experience. My little girl was having a heck of a time expelling the leg she recieved, and it did some tarring on the way out. Maybe it was because she was younger but I would hate to see another animal in that kind of pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts