Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new to us 3 year old standard has some raw spots between his toes. They don’t seem to bother him, he’s not lame or licking obsessively.

After doing a lot of reading here, we are switching him onto Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. His stomach seems fine, but his toes and general body itchiness make me think that he might have some sensitivity to what he’s been eating (generic grocery store kibble).

Is there anything I can do to help his toes while we wait for the food to help from the inside out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lavender essential oil should be alright to use. I would also give him some vitamin C. I use Thompson's Buffered crystals. Dog food does not contain C and he probably could use some.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
If he's not biting at them or showing distress, I'd probably focus on transitioning to the new food and then give it another few weeks to watch for any improvement or worsening of symptoms.

Every change introduces a new variable, so I like to stick with one at a time, when possible.

That said, be sure you're not using any floor cleaners, pesticides, insecticides, etc. as those can cause issues that require immediate attention. I switched our floor cleaner over to extremely diluted Dr. Bronner's soap after Gracie got itchy paws. And I use vinegar and water for pretty much everything else.

Basically, if I wouldn't be comfortable applying it directly to my skin, I don't use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone.

I love the suggestion of switching one thing at a time. Makes sense and will allow me to make sure that I can keep track of what’s actually making a difference for our little, not so little dude.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts