Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't feed raw to Poppy, she does well on TOTW, but I have been reading some about giving raw knuckle bones as a treat. She currently has a shin bone that I got from the pet store, steralized type not smoked with meat, and she really enjoys it. After reading an article on how good a raw knuckle bone was for dog's teeth, it has me wondering if I should get one and see how it goes.

If you have fed your dog raw knuckle bones:
- where do you let them eat them at?
- do you take it away from them once all the meat is gone or just let them keep it and chew when ever?
- are there any problems with it splintering, the one she currently has is very hard and I don't worry about it splintering
- any other tips?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If you have fed your dog raw knuckle bones:
- where do you let them eat them at?
- do you take it away from them once all the meat is gone or just let them keep it and chew when ever?
- are there any problems with it splintering, the one she currently has is very hard and I don't worry about it splintering
- any other tips?

thanks!
I do give mine knuckle bones. They eat outside on the patio or in the grass.
I do pick it up when they are done or I feel I need to pull it up.
No problems splintering, as long as it is raw, not smoked.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you just ask for them at the meat counter at the grocery store? About how much do they cost?

thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I pay between $3 and $5. They gnaw till they get tired of them and they end up in the yard with dozens of other. My yard looks like an elephants graveyard.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Do you just ask for them at the meat counter at the grocery store? About how much do they cost?

thanks
I pick them up when they are displayed in the meat section and I will buy several packs and freeze. Also I only pay about $3.00 for a 6 or 8 pack. If you pay $3.00 for one - that sounds like a smoked or cured KB. Raw is much better for them:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My whippets are trained to eat there raw food in the house on feeding pads. I pick my bones up at the meat shop and as long as they are raw, they will digest no problem. Training the dogs to stay on an eating pad makes it a little easier to keep an eye on them

·
Registered
575 Posts
The steralized bones are just as bad as cooked/smoked bones! As a matter of fact, they are terrible for cracking/fracturing teeth because they are so hard. The steralization process, in effect, cooks the bone and changes the chemical makeup so it's no longer raw.

I pick my knuckle bones up at the butcher shop. They get them locally and have big packs of them for a couple dollars each. I let my dogs knaw on them for a couple of days then it get's tossed out into the woods for the wildlife to chew on. All the little wild critters like to chew/knaw on bones for added calcium and to keep their teeth in check.

Just a word of warning before you give your dog a raw bone. If s/he's not used to raw, it MAY upset their tummy if given a huge bone with lot's of meat, fat, and marrow, so I recommed, not giving them free range at first. Just let them have it for a few minutes, then pick it up, give it again the next day, and so on for a week or so. You might also want to be giving a good probiotic during this time to keep the good bacteria in control of the gut.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The steralized bones are just as bad as cooked/smoked bones! As a matter of fact, they are terrible for cracking/fracturing teeth because they are so hard. The steralization process, in effect, cooks the bone and changes the chemical makeup so it's no longer raw.
I never seen knuckle bones as you mention. Makes sense though. KB's are not for dogs that devour or bite hard they can crack teeth :wacko:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I never seen knuckle bones as you mention. Makes sense though. KB's are not for dogs that devour or bite hard they can crack teeth :wacko:
Normally, you find the femur (long marrow) bones in pet stores that have been sterilized. Knuckle bones have A LOT of connective tissue on them, which is great for dogs to chew on and provides elements (cartilage, tendons, etc,) that enhance the chewing process and provides specific nutrients (glucosamine, calcium, etc). The knuckle end is also a bit softer and easier to "whittle" without fear of breaking teeth or splintering, it's the long bones that are especially hard (have to be because they bear the weight) and present the chance of tooth fractures.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked with my local Kroger and they do not have knuckle bones just the femur. The meat counter worker said I could go next door and get one, next door is Pet Co. I said I wanted a raw one for her and he just looked at me funny. He did say they had femurs, but I have read that the knuckles are better. Is the knuckle the joint end from the femur?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts