Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it won't be getting a puppy for a couple of months but I want to have all the info I need prior to getting him. I've been doing a lot of reading about raw food diets. I would love some feed back about the good and bad from those of you that have your dogs on a raw food diet.

Is it wise to feed a mix of raw and kibble? Price wise how does it compare to a bag of kibble. I do not feed my cats "Grocery Store" brands. I have them on Go Natural. It's a grain free diet with real meat, fruit and veg. If I do feed kibble I will go with the same brand. I have hear animals on a raw food diet do not deficate as much as their bodies use most of what they eat so there is les waste. Is that true?

I look forward to reading your replies as I want to make an educated decision!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yes, dogs on raw poo less, and the stool.. well, it's different. After a day or two it turns white, then just starts to break down on its own. I'm not sure if anyone else's dogs poo did this, but mine did!

I was doing raw for a bit, but my puppy kept having loose and runny stool, so I'm have him on Welness Core right now and every time I introduce him back to raw (chicken) his stool goes loose again. I'm not sure why.. but when I try raw again I'm going to do deer.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Reply :)

E=Poodle_Lvr;88154]
Is it wise to feed a mix of raw and kibble?

You can, if fed at different rotations - Every other day or one meal RAW, the other kibble, NOT together. The digestion is completely different.

Price wise how does it compare to a bag of kibble. It depends on what you feed. I feed complete RAW, no kibble, no veggies or fruits as meals. Therefore they get a great deal of chicken, pork, beef and fish. Also liver and organs. BUT I hope to expand this when an opportunity is open for more game animals. It is pretty wide open. I try to average about .65 - .70 a lb for 4 dogs. I have found enough deals at local grocery stores to stock up at low prices to offset some meats I may buy at a higher price. By doing this - I average the same dollar amount as buying a high quality low grain or no grain kibble - my avergae monthly bill is around $80.

I have hear animals on a raw food diet do not deficate as much as their bodies use most of what they eat so there is les waste. Is that true?

Their poos are very small:) And they do not have that "poo smell" and they are different, the poo turns white or dusty looking after it has sat a while, and gets very firm. If it is too white - then you could be feeding too much bone, and if too loose - is too much meat not enough bone. Thats why there are specific steps when introducing RAW. Here is a website taxtell gave us to start with and it works great with simple directions!!

Raw Pics & Videos | Prey Model Raw

ALso, here is a forum on food

Dog Food Nutrition Forum

Good luck on which ever route you chose:)

[/QUOTE]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts